Financial Aid Reconsideration

perfectamity

I have read on different forums of some of you requesting financial aid reconsideration.  I want to know:
Who you are reaching out to when requesting a reconsideration? Are you specifically and only asking the financial aid department, or are you also writing or CCing the head of Admissions or the Dept Chair? Or anyone else that you may be in contact with?

What are you saying in your email? 

Please also share some success stories.

1 hour ago, rockroad29 said:

When I did mine I CC'd everyone that I was in touch with, especially with the email that has all your information. 

Do you think this was helpful? If you have heard back from the school how much extra did they give you? I want to find the right balance between not bothering people who don't make any financial decisions and letting people know who might have some weight or pull.

9 hours ago, perfectamity said:

Do you think this was helpful? If you have heard back from the school how much extra did they give you? I want to find the right balance between not bothering people who don't make any financial decisions and letting people know who might have some weight or pull.

In my case yes. It was a smaller school, so almost the whole department knew about my case. When I did my appeal, it went from 40% scholarship (first notification on my acceptance letter) to, 60% (1st round of appeal), 80% (2nd round of appeal) and they ultimately gave me tuition waiver. I'd still say CC the people that you've been in touch with, if they can help, they will help. If they don't have any weight to pull, they will just look over it. 

Just wanted to clarify that I wasn't qualify for any federal aid, or external funding at all, so it was really the only option I had. They do prefer you to invest in your education as much as possible. 

12 hours ago, rockroad29 said:

In my case yes. It was a smaller school, so almost the whole department knew about my case. When I did my appeal, it went from 40% scholarship (first notification on my acceptance letter) to, 60% (1st round of appeal), 80% (2nd round of appeal) and they ultimately gave me tuition waiver. I'd still say CC the people that you've been in touch with, if they can help, they will help. If they don't have any weight to pull, they will just look over it. 

Just wanted to clarify that I wasn't qualify for any federal aid, or external funding at all, so it was really the only option I had. They do prefer you to invest in your education as much as possible. 

How did you go about a second round of appeal? What did your email look like? Thank you for your new offer but I still can't afford that? I'm very curious.

54 minutes ago, perfectamity said:

How did you go about a second round of appeal? What did your email look like? Thank you for your new offer but I still can't afford that? I'm very curious.

In my first appeal I told them the amount I can afford according to my financial background/history. They basically didn't meet that in the 1st and 2nd time. 

One of the most important things when you ask for financial reconsideration is to let them know how much you can afford, never just ask for "more" 

That way they know exactly how much money you need without really having to go through a lot. 

My 2nd email was something like this -

"Thank you for your response and the offer. I have thoroughly evaluated my resources and the maximum amount I will be able to contribute to this program is xxxx, which is the same amount I indicated in my first letter (I have also attached the letter here). I have included a detailed breakdown of the cost of attendance and my expected income for the next academic year in this letter."

My experience was with departmental/campus fellowships only, I don't know how FAFSA works and how to go with asking for reconsideration for federal aid. 

Edited by rockroad29

2 hours ago, rockroad29 said:

In my first appeal I told them the amount I can afford according to my financial background/history. They basically didn't meet that in the 1st and 2nd time. 

One of the most important things when you ask for financial reconsideration is to let them know how much you can afford, never just ask for "more" 

That way they know exactly how much money you need without really having to go through a lot. 

My 2nd email was something like this -

"Thank you for your response and the offer. I have thoroughly evaluated my resources and the maximum amount I will be able to contribute to this program is xxxx, which is the same amount I indicated in my first letter (I have also attached the letter here). I have included a detailed breakdown of the cost of attendance and my expected income for the next academic year in this letter."

My experience was with departmental/campus fellowships only, I don't know how FAFSA works and how to go with asking for reconsideration for federal aid. 

That second letter is helpful. Thank you. You sent your expenses and expected income to everyone you had been in contact with? Or did you refrain in your follow up letters to include others in a CC?

I am really curious how I should go about this when I don't have at this time a competing offer. I have two similar offers from two schools. If one was better than another it would be easier. At this point I am looking to email both of them and ask for more money but without a competing offer.

To be honest, I really want an additional $20,000 but I feel like that is too much to ask for. However, if I ask for $10,000 and then ask for $10,000 more, that doesn't seem fair either.

13 minutes ago, perfectamity said:

I am really curious how I should go about this when I don't have at this time a competing offer. I have two similar offers from two schools. If one was better than another it would be easier. At this point I am looking to email both of them and ask for more money but without a competing offer.

To be honest, I really want an additional $20,000 but I feel like that is too much to ask for. However, if I ask for $10,000 and then ask for $10,000 more, that doesn't seem fair either.

I submitted an offer that was basically the same cost of attendance saying I can appeal this and if I am awarded an appeal it’s more affordable. I said I needed 12-15 but asked for 10k. still waiting to hear back but i’ll update when I know by mid march

On 3/10/2020 at 4:21 PM, ayshaface said:

Just submitted an appeal to Boston College, so hopefully that goes well!

Was there a certain person you submitted it to or did you just contact student services?  I already mailed off my supplemental information form and I don't know if I should wait and see what my financial aid package looks like before asking for more money or just do it from now ? 

2 hours ago, MSWSTRESS said:

Was there a certain person you submitted it to or did you just contact student services?  I already mailed off my supplemental information form and I don't know if I should wait and see what my financial aid package looks like before asking for more money or just do it from now ? 

I would do it ASAP. They have more money now than they will tomorrow and so on and so forth. I did email someone specific! :) Frances Stearns. :)

Just now, ayshaface said:

I would do it ASAP. They have more money now than they will tomorrow and so on and so forth. I did email someone specific! :) Frances Stearns. :)

Thank you sooo much!! If you don't mind me asking, how did you phrase asking for an appeal. I want to make sure I don't come off too harsh or anything like that lol I hope someone gets back to me because they closed down the school so I will definitely do it tomorrow and just hope for the best. I should have done it earlier?‍♀️ but thank you soo much ! 

26 minutes ago, MSWSTRESS said:

Thank you sooo much!! If you don't mind me asking, how did you phrase asking for an appeal. I want to make sure I don't come off too harsh or anything like that lol I hope someone gets back to me because they closed down the school so I will definitely do it tomorrow and just hope for the best. I should have done it earlier?‍♀️ but thank you soo much ! 

OH of course!! :) This was the basic formatting :

Hello! I am (insert name) and I am so excited to have been accepted into (insert school). (Insert reason why you are so excited about it). However, I am worried about my ability to attend due to financial reasons. I am emailing you in hopes of you reconsidering my (scholarship package, tuition remission, etc.).

(Here is where you insert why you believe you should be offered more money. I recommend having SOME kind of a reason to reconsider their financial aid offered to you; for me, it was addressing that I had gotten a new job as a Youth Advocate at a nonprofit for runaway and homeless youth, and that I wasn't able to include those service hours at the time. I also listed my exact income, including attaching pay stubs, and my bills. I used this to show that there was no way I could save for grad school.)

I am so thankful to have been accepted at (your school) as it is my top choice and I am so excited to proceed in the next steps in the process. However, I worry that I won't be able to come due to (insert reason). (Here, I also mentioned that I had been accepted to UW and that I was awaiting to hear their financial award).

Thank you so much again for considering my request.

Cheers,

(Your name).

1 minute ago, ayshaface said:

OH of course!! :) This was the basic formatting :

Hello! I am (insert name) and I am so excited to have been accepted into (insert school). (Insert reason why you are so excited about it). However, I am worried about my ability to attend due to financial reasons. I am emailing you in hopes of you reconsidering my (scholarship package, tuition remission, etc.).

(Here is where you insert why you believe you should be offered more money. I recommend having SOME kind of a reason to reconsider their financial aid offered to you; for me, it was addressing that I had gotten a new job as a Youth Advocate at a nonprofit for runaway and homeless youth, and that I wasn't able to include those service hours at the time. I also listed my exact income, including attaching pay stubs, and my bills. I used this to show that there was no way I could save for grad school.)

I am so thankful to have been accepted at (your school) as it is my top choice and I am so excited to proceed in the next steps in the process. However, I worry that I won't be able to come due to (insert reason). (Here, I also mentioned that I had been accepted to UW and that I was awaiting to hear their financial award).

Thank you so much again for considering my request.

Cheers,

(Your name).

Omg thank you sooo much !! This is beyond helpful !!! I will definitely change it up some and hope for the best !! Best of luck to you !!!

Just now, MSWSTRESS said:

Omg thank you sooo much !! This is beyond helpful !!! I will definitely change it up some and hope for the best !! Best of luck to you !!!

Thank you!! :) Same to you!!! I would make it clear that attending will be nigh impossible if they don't provide you more funding. Be direct about that for sure!!!