UCSC: delayed admissions updates because of grad strike?

beansgreens

Question

(hopefully this is the right forum to be posting in)

I'm just wondering if anyone thinks there's a delay in admissions updates because of the current grad student strike?

I was informally emailed that I was accepted into my program (2/13) and was told to expect additional emails about my admission, i.e. a financial support package, but I haven't heard anything. My application hasn't been updated to "accepted" in the portal either.

So, is anyone who's been accepted into UCSC experiencing something similar? Do you think it's because of the strike? Do you think anything will happen to current/prospective grad students because of the strike? Am I just being too anxious? ?

4 answers to this question

Official notices tend to come from the graduate division itself. Somebody posted in the results page that they were told the particular department was still waiting for the graduate division to start processing decisions, so I assume it might be the case for many departments.

The strike has caused a few disruptions, but I think it was only one particular Friday (last week maybe?) that was significant.

You can always just email them and ask and you might get an update.

Just to update my post: I think at this stage, the strike is causing a disruption even if it wasn't before. The strike has grown now that the TAs were fired. A lot of classes are getting cancelled and so on.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they were hesitant about committing to certain financial support (especially non-STEM PhDs) because of the uncertainty over this. STEM stipends probably won't change much (because they're generally already higher), but if the other ones go up, that might affect how many students they can take depending on the source of the money.