Georgetown McCourt 2020

su1234

Since it's new we don't really have a lot of data points. But I did speak to a lot of the current DSPP students before applying and I was really impressed with how the program has turned out to be for them. One of the main reasons I applied to this program was the feedback I got from the current DSPP students. Overall, I'd rank DSPP above MSCAPP (UChicago), at-least personally. Also, the location is a big big plus since half the MSCAPP batch ends up in DC for their internships.

6 hours ago, seskande said:

I applied too. Haven't heard anything yet.

What do you think of the reputation of this program and ranking compared to other top schools?

Edited by su1234

3 hours ago, su1234 said:

Since it's new we don't really have a lot of data points. But I did speak to a lot of the current DSPP students before applying and I was really impressed with how the program has turned out to be for them. One of the main reasons I applied to this program was the feedback I got from the current DSPP students. Overall, I'd rank DSPP above MSCAPP (UChicago), at-least personally. Also, the location is a big big plus since half the MSCAPP batch ends up in DC for their internships.

Thank you. That’s very helpful.

10 hours ago, seskande said:

I applied too. Haven't heard anything yet.

What do you think of the reputation of this program and ranking compared to other top schools?

Applied it too. I would say DSPP >= MSCAPP in policy/data in U.S. Outside U.S., UChicago is much stronger.

Hey! I just got accepted at DSPP too! This represents a great achievement for me!!

But no aid offer, probably because my GRE score was not very good. Does anyone know if there is any change I can negotiate some aid, scholarships or TA at university? Can anyone give me tips on how to do that??

Good luck to everyone!!

21 hours ago, njapp2020 said:

I was accepted to the MPP with $18k.  I was also admitted to UVA's Batten School with decent money, so I'm feeling pretty torn right now.  Did anyone else apply to Batten?

What are you trying to do with your future career? If you are a person that likes to be independent, know your career interests, and you have a good idea on how to pursue your career interests aggressively on your own, McCourt would work okay for you. If you are someone who cares a lot about having a strong student culture and a collaborative community + need support to figure out what your career interests, UVA would be a better fit. 

I actually have friends that went to Batten and compared notes. The programs are actually decently different! 

Happy to talk more on direct message. 

On 3/3/2020 at 9:30 PM, mdsbr said:

Hey! I just got accepted at DSPP too! This represents a great achievement for me!!

But no aid offer, probably because my GRE score was not very good. Does anyone know if there is any change I can negotiate some aid, scholarships or TA at university? Can anyone give me tips on how to do that??

Good luck to everyone!!

They might change their posture based upon how many people take or don't take their offers. So basically negotiate over time. You might luck out. Unless things changed, TAing was just salary, not scholarship for McCourt.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/3/2020 at 11:39 PM, Ceebz said:

I was accepted to the MPP with 27k a year. I was also accepted by U Chicago Harris with similar money, so weighing my options.

Go to U. Chicago (unless you want a Capital Hill career). It is a no brainer in pretty much every single way you can look at it.

On 3/28/2020 at 11:03 AM, GradSchoolGrad said:

Go to U. Chicago (unless you want a Capital Hill career). It is a no brainer in pretty much every single way you can look at it.

Hey I have also been accepted to UChicago MPP and Georgetown DSPP. Would you have any thoughts on which course I should go for?

On 3/29/2020 at 12:44 AM, su1234 said:

Hey I have also been accepted to UChicago MPP and Georgetown DSPP. Would you have any thoughts on which course I should go for?

Assuming that you are getting the same amount of money, I think it is a 100% absolute no brainer - U.Chicago MPP... I say this because:

1. Flexibility in career choice - as in your have the opportunity to change your desired career outcomes midway through the program

2. Harris is simply a much better resourced, managed, and organized program that McCourt

3. Really strong diversity (in background) of your classmates

4. I also want to highlight that Harris is a no joke quant program - probably the hardest (supposedly WWS and Harris have the hardest quant). 

UNLESS - you want to have a career focused on data science / data engineer / pure data analytics (as in your title would say ___ policy data scientist or data analytics ____). If you ooze data analytics (or want to) and bath in it., then DSPP is the way to go. 

If you end up really loving the data side, you can just have your electives be more data focused at U. Chicago MPP. Granted, you kind of would hit terminal velocity by virtual of not being in a data analytics program. 

HOWEVER... if you are getting fully funded for McCourt DSPP and nothing from Harris, and you are okay with having a data focused career... I would go with McCourt DSPP. It is better to come out of a recession with 70K in the hole (assuming 35K a year living expense) than 200K in the hole