How important are rankings?

I know this might sound like a silly question but does it really matter what school we attend for grad school? I know there are lists with schools ranked, and based on those lists I have gotten into a school at the very top of the rankings and one towards the bottom. The school with the worse ranking is so much more affordable and is closer to home but I just don't know if I would be better off in the long run going to the more well-known, higher ranked program. I personally feel like how well you can do your job is more important than where your degree is from, but I just wasn't sure if the programs would be vastly different qualities and I should consider the "better" one. 

I feel like every program that meets ASHA requirements for certification will get you where you need to go. Sure, there are more prestigious programs, but the goal is to get your CCCs and become a licensed therapist, right? So if both programs offer that, then there’s really no difference once you get out. Not being in debt will be a huge advantage in the long run, so I would definitely go with the cheaper program! 

I'm struggling with this as well. My dad always says, "you know what they call people who get C's in medical school"...."Doctor". Same thing, wherever you go, you're going to get a degree.

What I know is that schools do differ. There are hard and easy schools, and everyone knows this. A degree from Harvard was definitely harder to get than a degree from an easier school. Maybe it's just an undergrad thing, but I've definitely seen people have such an easier time in school and study way less, and get the same grades. That's why I am carrying it over to grad school, but I am trying to view it as, no matter where I go and where you go, we will get a degree and will be able to practice.

1 hour ago, amanda_rensch said:

I'm struggling with this as well. My dad always says, "you know what they call people who get C's in medical school"...."Doctor". Same thing, wherever you go, you're going to get a degree.

What I know is that schools do differ. There are hard and easy schools, and everyone knows this. A degree from Harvard was definitely harder to get than a degree from an easier school. Maybe it's just an undergrad thing, but I've definitely seen people have such an easier time in school and study way less, and get the same grades. That's why I am carrying it over to grad school, but I am trying to view it as, no matter where I go and where you go, we will get a degree and will be able to practice.

Very true!! I think saving money will be better in the long run.

It doesn't matter. A degree is a degree, they're all ASHA accredited and you'll get your CCC's wherever you go. You can go to a setting with two SLPs doing the exact same job and getting paid the same amount, except one went to a "low-ranked," less-expensive school and is not in debt, and one went to a "high-ranked," expensive school and is still paying debt two decades after graduating. Personally, I'm happy to choose the former.

Ranking doesn't matter, but things like a high Praxis pass rate (should be at or near 100%), program completion rate, and the school's reputation for good placement opportunities do. You want a school that can provide you with a wide variety of settings and not struggle to place students (I've heard horror stories). A high program completion rate is a sign that the program supports its students, and a high Praxis pass rate means the program teaches you everything you need to know. If the lower-ranked program has all these things, go for it. If either program is lacking in any of these areas, stay away. 

All that really matters is opportunity and fit. If you have a preference for a type of setting, talk to current and former students regarding practicum options available. Long-term, it’s just what practicum locations exist and if there are enough spots for everyone to get experience in exactly what they want. Ask if there are opportunities for students to advocate for contracts between the school and location if there isn’t one yet, in the case that there’s a localish practicum you want but the school doesn’t currently have a connection to the site. If you want to get crazy, ask for a list of sites the school has a contract with or connection to.

Even if you think long-term in regard to furthering your education, you’ll be fine as long as you get some research experience, which even low-ranked universities should be able to offer. I went to a >180 ranked school because it was a state university that offered a TAship, and I’ve got several acceptances/interviews for a CSD PhD at schools ranked as highly as #3 on that US News ranking thing. Don’t go into insane debt, you’ll be fine as long as you’re cognizant of the above. 

Edited by maskingeffect