University of California, Riverside (Fall 2020)

HanZero

Hello Everyone,

Earlier threads on UCR seem to have been from 2014 and before, so I thought I'd start a new thread. I am almost sure that I will be attending UCR as a PhD student in the Dept. of Political Science. Would love to start a conversation with anyone else who is going to UCR or even considering going there this fall! 

On 3/14/2020 at 11:36 AM, HanZero said:

nice! did you happen to get in touch with people in riverside? I had the online graduate recruitment day today.... gotta figure out housing now!

really? That is so nice? I have not got it yet. Because tenichally speaking, I have not accept the offer online. I am checking details with my department. What do you learn about the housing? in-campus seems expensive.

6 hours ago, xuyixin said:

really? That is so nice? I have not got it yet. Because tenichally speaking, I have not accept the offer online. I am checking details with my department. What do you learn about the housing? in-campus seems expensive.

Yes, in-campus was suggested not to be the best place for graduate students. There are supposed to be good apartments in the moreno valley, as well as in the downtown riverside area. There are facebook groups that you can join to search for apartments. I really would have liked to go to Riverside to check out the place, but i guess will have to search for roommates online. 

Currrent grad students suggest that living close to campus during your first year is best, especially if you do not own a car and have to use public transport.

Yes I heard that as well. Actually I am considering a house at the cross between Iowa and Chicago. 30 mins at walk and 10 mins by bike. I am not sure whether it is close enough or not ,especially when considering about how big the campus is...

I have no idea about Riverside actually. I am an international applicant and never visit there.

same here, international and dont know the area too well. i'm waiting for a little bit more time to see if there are others looking to share apartments. its a bit steep, in terms of price, for studio or one-bedroom. But, if there are people renting out 1 room in a 2-bedroom apt, then that is quite cost effective.

On 3/18/2020 at 11:03 PM, HanZero said:

same here, international and dont know the area too well. i'm waiting for a little bit more time to see if there are others looking to share apartments. its a bit steep, in terms of price, for studio or one-bedroom. But, if there are people renting out 1 room in a 2-bedroom apt, then that is quite cost effective.

There is a group about UCR housing in FB, maybe you can check there. I am also looking for someone sharing a apt. 

btw I was asked to joined a online meeting with faculty and students inside our dept next week. A bit nervous now. Due to the time difference, I may just wake up at that time.

On 3/23/2020 at 3:51 AM, xuyixin said:

There is a group about UCR housing in FB, maybe you can check there. I am also looking for someone sharing a apt. 

btw I was asked to joined a online meeting with faculty and students inside our dept next week. A bit nervous now. Due to the time difference, I may just wake up at that time.

Yes, i've been looking at the FB page for UCR housing. There does not seem to be too many choices there. I took part in the online meeting for the political science dept about 10 days ago. Don't worry too much about it. It is all quite casual, the faculty talk about the dept and then you have a separate conversation with the current students. I found it quite informational. also you can keep your video off while you hear them, so it can give you some time to prep yourself. 

8 hours ago, HanZero said:

also you can keep your video off while you hear them, so it can give you some time to prep yourself. 

Oh that will be a really nice advice!! 

I agree about the housing. But to my knowledge, it seems that the vacancy is okay. Now the posts are almost about spring quarter and summer. I feel confused..

9 hours ago, xuyixin said:

Oh that will be a really nice advice!! 

I agree about the housing. But to my knowledge, it seems that the vacancy is okay. Now the posts are almost about spring quarter and summer. I feel confused..

yes, the housing is getting complicated. I'm trying to hold on until a few weeks. Once I get the UCR email id, then maybe more avenues will open up. I really want to stay a little closer to campus during the first couple years; Canyon Crest would be the furthest I would want.I don't want to pay more than 800-850 for my room. So finding a room-mate like that takes some searching. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! I won't be attending UCR this fall but I got my BA there last year. Since I lived there for 4 years, I may be able to help answer questions about housing! Feel free to contact me :)