University of Iowa Psychology PhD

UIowaFall2020CP

This forum is for people who have been accepted to the University of Iowa PhD program for any psych area! I am trying to get to know some of the people who I will be getting to know on campus. I have lived in Iowa all my life so if anyone has any questions about Iowa or more specifically Iowa City (housing, social life, professors, etc...) post them here and we can all share our thoughts. I am so excited to start and UIowa is great!

I've been accepted to the PhD Psychological and Quantitative Foundations, Couple and Family Therapy program at University of Iowa. With everything going on, I didn't receive my financial letter from them until yesterday. We currently have a kiddo sick with Covid 19 symptoms and am trying to figure out telehealth for clients at my internship, so haven't had a chance to really sit down and look over the offer and other factors in depth one more time before making a final decision. Hoping to do that this weekend.

Just updating that I will be hanging out around the UIowa campus come F2020. Hope to see you around!

We are trying to figure out buying a house with the Covid19 stuff, are you guts on lock down/stay at home orders? We think we are going to be starting tomorrow here in Missouri. I'm not looking forward to potentially buying a house without being abe to tour it ??

19 hours ago, PsyZei said:

Just updating that I will be hanging out around the UIowa campus come F2020. Hope to see you around!

We are trying to figure out buying a house with the Covid19 stuff, are you guts on lock down/stay at home orders? We think we are going to be starting tomorrow here in Missouri. I'm not looking forward to potentially buying a house without being abe to tour it ??

I am also Iowa bound in the fall! We are hoping to buy a house, and I've been looking at tons online....but I really don't want to go through the process without seeing it in person either. 

2 hours ago, andhowdoesthatmakeyoufeel said:

I am also Iowa bound in the fall! We are hoping to buy a house, and I've been looking at tons online....but I really don't want to go through the process without seeing it in person either. 

Are you looking at Iowa City or more Coralville or Cedar Rapids? My spouse was expecting to be transferring to Cedar Rapids, but said it looks like the transfer might be to Coralville instead. It seems like the closer you get to Iowa City, the more expensive houses are, though.

22 hours ago, PsyZei said:

Are you looking at Iowa City or more Coralville or Cedar Rapids? My spouse was expecting to be transferring to Cedar Rapids, but said it looks like the transfer might be to Coralville instead. It seems like the closer you get to Iowa City, the more expensive houses are, though.

To be honest, we've looked all over Iowa City and Coralville. Cedar Rapids probably isn't where we will end up. 

Edit: Although dang, now that you mention it, Cedar Rapids is a lot cheaper and very nice houses....half an hour isn't a bad commute.

Edited by andhowdoesthatmakeyoufeel

On 3/24/2020 at 7:40 AM, andhowdoesthatmakeyoufeel said:

Edit: Although dang, now that you mention it, Cedar Rapids is a lot cheaper and very nice houses....half an hour isn't a bad commute.

That's kind of where we are at, honestly. Iowa City would be great, but half an hour commute for a house that has what we want and is in our budget is gold. My spouse has been commuting 1.5 hours for the two years of my masters, so half an hour commute doesn't seem bad. The houses in Iowa City are just so much more expensive than the same thing in Cedar Rapids. 

We've tentatively set an appointment to view houses the second week in April, now just waiting to see if that actually happens. 

2 hours ago, PsyZei said:

That's kind of where we are at, honestly. Iowa City would be great, but half an hour commute for a house that has what we want and is in our budget is gold. My spouse has been commuting 1.5 hours for the two years of my masters, so half an hour commute doesn't seem bad. The houses in Iowa City are just so much more expensive than the same thing in Cedar Rapids. 

We've tentatively set an appointment to view houses the second week in April, now just waiting to see if that actually happens. 

Is it nearby for you? We have to fly, so we are hoping to go look in May.....TBD, I guess. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a friend who graduated undergrad in 2016 who said that CR didn't have much of a community/she had issues finding a place in the community there. She now lives in IC and commutes to CR everyday. Just a thought. 

On 4/7/2020 at 10:32 AM, IowaBoy said:

I have a friend who graduated undergrad in 2016 who said that CR didn't have much of a community/she had issues finding a place in the community there. She now lives in IC and commutes to CR everyday. Just a thought. 

I'm glad that worked out for her! We have not seen anything that meets our basic requirements in our budget in Iowa City, so it honestly doesn't seem like Iowa City is an option for us, where Cedar Rapids has multiple listings within our budget that meet our needs. Iowa City is just a significantly higher priced real estate market than Cedar Rapids is. I am glad she was able to make the choice that seems like it worked out best for her.

On 3/25/2020 at 12:24 PM, andhowdoesthatmakeyoufeel said:

Is it nearby for you? We have to fly, so we are hoping to go look in May.....TBD, I guess. 

It's about 6 hours away for us, not nearby but definitely driving distance. However, everything is on lock down, so we are doing virtual tours and just trying to figure it out the best we can.