Why don't social workers have a National Union? Thoughts as future social workers?

Gelibutter

I wanted to ask if anyone knows why social workers don't have a national union? As future social workers what are your thoughts about this? I know that back in the day nurses were not being paid well until they advocated for higher wages and got unionized. I feel like social workers are often underpaid, overworked and undervalued. I feel like now more than ever we should be advocating for ourselves.  Is there anything we can do about this? 

Anywho what do ya'll think about this? How do you feel going into the field the way things currently are? What would you like to see change, or improve? 

• 11 months later...

This is one of the ongoing conversations that is in need of action but everyone I have talked to says it is riddled with complications. I have a friend who is big on SW unionization, I'll see if I can find some of the work they have pulled together and if they will let me share it here. On the very front end of clinical tracked social workers unionization would be hugely beneficial for recent grads who get stuck in fee-for-service jobs with no benefits and are taxed as self employed with few write offs. In my mind it only grows from there. 

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/19/2020 at 6:15 PM, Gelibutter said:

I wanted to ask if anyone knows why social workers don't have a national union? As future social workers what are your thoughts about this? I know that back in the day nurses were not being paid well until they advocated for higher wages and got unionized. I feel like social workers are often underpaid, overworked and undervalued. I feel like now more than ever we should be advocating for ourselves.  Is there anything we can do about this? 

Anywho what do ya'll think about this? How do you feel going into the field the way things currently are? What would you like to see change, or improve? 

Unions are typically sector specific and/or found in public/government jobs, depending on municipality. I’ve been in a union and I don’t think it would make a lot of sense to have a generalized social work union. Our field is so broad. As far as “national” union - each state does things so differently - with few exceptions* - I can’t see that working either (*e.g. federal jobs). FWIW, I do think social workers are undervalued and underpaid in many sectors - I don’t think unions are the solution.