As a course reader am I required to attend the class?

jujubea

Question

That's the whole question.

As a course reader, as in a readership, where I just grade the midterms and finals, am I required to attend the class?

I don't want to ask the professor because I don't want to risk him thinking I'm lazy for asking, he's my advisor. And I'm not lazy, I just have a lot of work to do otherwise.

5 answers to this question

I've never seen any of my readers present during lecture as an undergrad. The only exception was when they had to take the place of the prof a couple of times to do a short presentation or announcement or proctor an exam. If this is a professor you know closely or want to get to know closely tho, being present at their lectures where they can see you (if you're sure you won't fall asleep) is probably a better move. I don't think you even need to pay attention, you could bring your laptop and do personal work/take notes on the side as long as the prof permits devices in lecture.

Ask your professor but rather than asking it like that, which might make you sound lazy, just meet to set expectations regarding: attendance, turn around of grading, meetings? then your real question is within another, broader, more "responsible" looking question :)

OK - this is all helpful everyone! I am tapped out on "likes" for the day but I'll be back tomorrow to upvote allay'all's helpful answers! 

p.s. I spent all my likes today on the "rejection quotes" thread which, if anyone needs a little laugh, is prime for the giggling.