SJSU or SFSU?

Hey everyone, I was hoping to get some advice. I was recently accepted to SJSU and SFSU, and am debating between the two programs. I'm interested in the aac grants/specializations both programs provide, but beyond that I'm not very familiar with the programs. Would anyone be able to give me insight into what the situation is at either of these schools for clinical placements, supervisors, and the competitiveness of grants?

Hi! I'm from San Diego born and raised and went to SDSU for undergrad in the SLHS department. I have never been to San Jose or the Bay Area so I can only speak of San Diego. I didn't apply because I want to explore a different city than where I grew up.

I can't tell you about what their graduate program is like because I'm not in it BUT I can tell you that from what I know the professors are extremely accessible and want to see you succeed. The program is located in an alright area but if you have a car it's easy to find the perfect neighborhood that suits your personality and budget. It'll be cheaper than San Jose by a long shot too. All of the grad students I encountered while going to school there were always in a good mood. They were stressed, but not unbearably and the cohort is super close so it's okay to feel comfortable ranting/stressing together. There's a really nice, big on-campus clinic that I know you take rotations at. There's also a lot of schools, hospitals, and private practice clinics in the area that you get to work with. Everyone I've talked to recommended me to apply.

The area in San Diego is unlike any other city I've ever been in. I'm partial because it's my home town but the weather is almost always perfect except for a few grey days and some rain in the spring. Housing can be affordable but a single room is rarely over $1200 unless it's by the beach or it has a private bathroom/expensive neighborhood. Amazing food. Great nightlife. Very friendly people wherever you go. 

I'm super stoked for you that you got into such great schools! Congrats and I hope that helps!

Edited by MadisonMachelle

I'm attending SJSU right now as a first year, so I can't speak to intern/externships, but I really like it! The faculty are great, and while the course load is challenging and is a lot of work, the professors are always open for questions and assisting you. Living in the bay area is not cheap, but there are options to look around and find something that works. I really like everyone in my cohort, we have gotten to know each other and hold some get togethers outside of class a few times a semester. I also really love how diverse the area is, which is reflected in the clients that we see too. If you have specific questions, I would love to answer! Feel free to PM me as well! It's an important decision and I know it is extra tough this year if you were planning to visit. 

Edited by slptobe!

1 hour ago, MadisonMachelle said:

Hi! I'm from San Diego born and raised and went to SDSU for undergrad in the SLHS department. I have never been to San Jose or the Bay Area so I can only speak of San Diego. I didn't apply because I want to explore a different city than where I grew up.

I can't tell you about what their graduate program is like because I'm not in it BUT I can tell you that from what I know the professors are extremely accessible and want to see you succeed. The program is located in an alright area but if you have a car it's easy to find the perfect neighborhood that suits your personality and budget. It'll be cheaper than San Jose by a long shot too. All of the grad students I encountered while going to school there were always in a good mood. They were stressed, but not unbearably and the cohort is super close so it's okay to feel comfortable ranting/stressing together. There's a really nice, big on-campus clinic that I know you take rotations at. There's also a lot of schools, hospitals, and private practice clinics in the area that you get to work with. Everyone I've talked to recommended me to apply.

The area in San Diego is unlike any other city I've ever been in. I'm partial because it's my home town but the weather is almost always perfect except for a few grey days and some rain in the spring. Housing can be affordable but a single room is rarely over $1200 unless it's by the beach or it has a private bathroom/expensive neighborhood. Amazing food. Great nightlife. Very friendly people wherever you go. 

I'm super stoked for you that you got into such great schools! Congrats and I hope that helps!

Also congrats on CSULB!!! That is awesome! I have a friend that is a first year right now attending, let me know if you want me to put you in contact with her! 

Edited by slptobe!

On 3/24/2020 at 4:10 PM, MadisonMachelle said:

Thank you for your feedback! SDSU sounds like an amazing program, and I'm glad to hear that everyone you've spoken to has had good experiences there as well. Congratulations on CSULB as well, I remember seeing you post about their program in the past so I'm really excited for you! 

On 3/24/2020 at 5:24 PM, slptobe! said:

I'm attending SJSU right now as a first year, so I can't speak to intern/externships, but I really like it! The faculty are great, and while the course load is challenging and is a lot of work, the professors are always open for questions and assisting you. Living in the bay area is not cheap, but there are options to look around and find something that works. I really like everyone in my cohort, we have gotten to know each other and hold some get togethers outside of class a few times a semester. I also really love how diverse the area is, which is reflected in the clients that we see too. If you have specific questions, I would love to answer! Feel free to PM me as well! It's an important decision and I know it is extra tough this year if you were planning to visit. 

That is amazing to hear, and congratulations as well! I'd also like to apologize for how late this is! Are you in the Extended Masters program, or the two year program? The diversity is definitely a plus for me, and my main concern regarding it all is likely the commute since I'll be coming from the east bay. At what times have your classes been, out of curiosity? My final question is about funding, actually: I saw on ASHA EdFind that SJSU gave 29 funding offers last year, and was curious if those came with the initial offer or if the offers of funding were something that came in after accepting the offer? 

@nuttyspeechie

Thank you! I'm in the two year program, but almost half of the cohort is in the three year program. A lot of people do commute, I can send you what my schedule has been like the past two semesters (even though this semester is online now). The class/clinic blocks are 9-11:45, 1-3:45, and 4-6:45. Everyone's schedule is a little different depending on clinics and what section of the class, but its an arrangement of those times. Most people also usually have either Monday or Friday completely free to work, study, etc. 

As far as funding goes, I'm not sure if the funding offers mentioned on Edfind include loan packages? I know they do offer scholarships and work studies in the program, I believe it comes in after the initial offer depending on various factors. 

Edited by slptobe!

53 minutes ago, slptobe! said:

@nuttyspeechie

Thank you! I'm in the two year program, but almost half of the cohort is in the three year program. A lot of people do commute, I can send you what my schedule has been like the past two semesters (even though this semester is online now). The class/clinic blocks are 9-11:45, 1-3:45, and 4-6:45. Everyone's schedule is a little different depending on clinics and what section of the class, but its an arrangement of those times. Most people also usually have either Monday or Friday completely free to work, study, etc. 

As far as funding goes, I'm not sure if the funding offers mentioned on Edfind include loan packages? I know they do offer scholarships and work studies in the program, I believe it comes in after the initial offer depending on various factors. 

That's very interesting, thank you for your feedback! The schedule doesn't seem too bad, though I imagine some would have to leave pretty early to ensure they're in with enough time to make it to the 9am blocks. Are there multiple sections for each class, in that case? I'm glad to hear you get one day a week off though! 

That's a good point, I wasn't too sure. I've spoken to a CF who mentioned that people in her cohort had gotten offered scholarships that helped them pay a good portion of their tuition though. I'll make sure to keep that in mind though, as I was unsure if that was something that would have been sent already or if that was typically after officially accepting. 

Thank you for all of your help! How has the transition online been by the way, has it impacted your clinical hours and how placements will work for your cohort? 

2 hours ago, nuttyspeechie said:

That's very interesting, thank you for your feedback! The schedule doesn't seem too bad, though I imagine some would have to leave pretty early to ensure they're in with enough time to make it to the 9am blocks. Are there multiple sections for each class, in that case? I'm glad to hear you get one day a week off though! 

That's a good point, I wasn't too sure. I've spoken to a CF who mentioned that people in her cohort had gotten offered scholarships that helped them pay a good portion of their tuition though. I'll make sure to keep that in mind though, as I was unsure if that was something that would have been sent already or if that was typically after officially accepting. 

Thank you for all of your help! How has the transition online been by the way, has it impacted your clinical hours and how placements will work for your cohort? 

Absolutely! In some cases, you can switch sections, it depends on availability and other people's schedules. It's different, going back to having someone else hand you your schedule instead of creating it yourself like in undergrad (kinda). 

The transition to online hasn't been too difficult for me as I've taken many online classes before and am very grateful in many ways considering what's happening. 

Edited by slptobe!

Hey I'm from San Francisco but went to SJSU for my undergrad. Both cities are very diverse and great to live in! Sf rent is DEFINITELY more expensive than Sj.  As for the programs, I am not too sure. 

I am planning to apply to programs in Fall 2021 and I have a question about SJSU's program for @slptobe! that might be helpful for you as well.

I know that the SJSU speech program is a Masters in Education with a concentration in speech. So If you plan on working in the school system and with pediatrics I think this program will be perfect for that. This might be a silly question but my question is do you think the title of it being a Masters in Education rather than a Masters in Speech Pathology matters? Does the program prepare you for all settings (exp. hospital)? I have volunteered at a hospital and I've worked in a special education classroom before and the techniques with both populations are quite different.

47 minutes ago, Einnob said:

Hey I'm from San Francisco but went to SJSU for my undergrad. Both cities are very diverse and great to live in! Sf rent is DEFINITELY more expensive than Sj.  As for the programs, I am not too sure. 

I am planning to apply to programs in Fall 2021 and I have a question about SJSU's program for @slptobe! that might be helpful for you as well.

I know that the SJSU speech program is a Masters in Education with a concentration in speech. So If you plan on working in the school system and with pediatrics I think this program will be perfect for that. This might be a silly question but my question is do you think the title of it being a Masters in Education rather than a Masters in Speech Pathology matters? Does the program prepare you for all settings (exp. hospital)? I have volunteered at a hospital and I've worked in a special education classroom before and the techniques with both populations are quite different.

I am a first year, so I haven't gone through this yet myself. I think the title might be something to consider based on what setting you think you might want to work in, I am looking to go towards the education side so I viewed it as a plus. With that said, they do try to prepare you for both settings and take your interests into consideration when coordinating the internships/externships. If you want a hospital placement, when the time comes you make this known to faculty members and they do their best to get you into a setting that fits this or close to it. Because yes, the settings are very different and I've observed and/or volunteered at both as well so I think it's something to consider. Don't be afraid to PM me anytime for questions as well! 

Edited by slptobe!