Looking For Guidence

SAJACKSON

Question

I have absolutely no clue where to start with this grad school process, and honestly its stressing me out. I just want to become a Philosophy Professor ? I feel like everyone knows where they're going, but I don't even know where the starting line is. Can someone please help me navigate through this?

1 answer to this question

Just as a forewarning, I've heard from TAs as an undergrad that getting a job in the Philosophy realm is extremely difficult because there just isn't enough demand for faculty as there is supply of philosophy graduates. So just know that the path you want to take does call for a lot more uncertainty those in, say, a STEM field. That said, I think once you know you want to get into academia, the first thing you should do is talk to your professors/professors in that field and seek advice.

I wouldn't go to them with a broad question like "what should I do first?" because they might not know what to say, but come to them with specific questions like whether they can recommend any schools or faculty given your particular field of interest (a specific field in Philosophy) or discuss why you want to become a Philosophy Professor and establish connections with them. As unfair as it might seem, connections and letters of recommendation mean a lot for grad school apps so it's helpful for professors to at least know your face.

Also look into the philosophy programs of a bunch of different schools you know and look at what kind of programs there are, how they're structured, and find some professors whose research interests you.