Don't go to MAPSS (UChicago)

PolPhil

At this stage, I have to recommend to anyone considering going to MAPSS at UChicago next year to decline your offer. The administration really fucked us with their response to the pandemic. On top of moving everything online, which is obviously necessary, they reduced the number of weeks of instruction--all of this without reducing tuition at all.

For the current quarter only, or for subsequent quarters too? If the former, why should that impact the decision of an individual admitted for Fall 2020? Furthermore, isn't this the result of a decision by the university administration and not the MAPSS administration?

Edited by secondarydefinitions

6 minutes ago, secondarydefinitions said:

For the current quarter only, or for subsequent quarters too? If the former, why should that impact the decision of an individual admitted for Fall 2020? Furthermore, isn't this the result of a decision by the university administration and not the MAPSS administration?

I think the idea is that the actions taken by any organization during this time would reflect their long-held attitudes towards students and their ability to respond to any unexpected disruption. But yes I agree most of what's happening reflects uchicago's response as a whole. That still is a factor to consider when someone is thinking about attending though.

Also my understanding of the shortened quarter is that was planned beforehand and not in response to the pandemic - I may be wrong, I get most of my uchicago-related news from Uchicago Secrets nowadays.

43 minutes ago, DRMF said:

I think the idea is that the actions taken by any organization during this time would reflect their long-held attitudes towards students and their ability to respond to any unexpected disruption. But yes I agree most of what's happening reflects uchicago's response as a whole. That still is a factor to consider when someone is thinking about attending though.

Also my understanding of the shortened quarter is that was planned beforehand and not in response to the pandemic - I may be wrong, I get most of my uchicago-related news from Uchicago Secrets nowadays.

What’s uchicago secrets?

22 hours ago, DRMF said:

They were planning to shorten the quarter next year, but shortening this quarter was unexpected (and not what we paid for!)

23 hours ago, secondarydefinitions said:

Yes, but 1) MAPSS admin have been less than helpful and 2) as a MAPSS student, you'll have to deal with the university administration, so it still counts against the program

22 hours ago, hajjibaba said:

What’s uchicago secrets?

It's a Facebook page where people post stuff anonymously. Posts are mostly from UChicago college students, though nothing stops other members or non-affiliates from contributing/trolling. So I don't get my UChicago news from a real news outlet is what I meant.