The COVID-19 effect on admissions & funding

8 hours ago, needanoffersobad said:

So u mean we can’t do online courses in the US?

I think it might depend on universities. In my university, it is so.

18 hours ago, raduan said:

The American embassy still closed here. Considering that here (Brazil) seems to be the next epidemic center, I don’t know whether I will be able to get the visa to the Fall semester. 

On the plus side, if the classes go online and I stayed here and receive my stipend, I will be rich due to our currency value is diminishing to the dollar.  

Same here in Argentina about the Embassy being closed (however, it is accepting Visa applications and scheduling appointments for July/August).

The Covid-19 situation here is less severe than that of Brazil, though I'm not sure whether it will be possible to travel to the US (or even visit the US Embassy in Argentina) before the start of the Fall semester.

@huevo1991

Trump just declare that no foreigner that have been in Brazil in the past 14 days will be allowed in the US. I already though the possibility of going to Buenos Aires , doing the visa process there. At least, I would be able to eat some good meat

1 hour ago, raduan said:

@huevo1991

Trump just declare that no foreigner that have been in Brazil in the past 14 days will be allowed in the US. I already though the possibility of going to Buenos Aires , doing the visa process there. At least, I would be able to eat some good meat

Yeah, just saw that on the news. Too bad!
Haha no doubt you will get good meat here!
My situation is tricky too because I live 1,200 kilometers away from Buenos Aires. Due to strict travel bans within Argentina, I have no clue when I'll be able to travel to Buenos Aires for the visa process.

On 5/24/2020 at 7:35 AM, horololo said:

I think it might depend on universities. In my university, it is so.

The problem is that international students are only allowed to take up to 3-4 credits of online classes (the rest has to be in-person) to be in accordance with visa requirements. Hence, if the instruction is online they would think you don't even need to enter the US. I know this requirement was waived for Spring semester as everything happened quickly and in the middle of the semester, but I haven't heard of similar news regarding Fall semester.

Edited by Anik_91

On 5/24/2020 at 5:58 PM, huevo1991 said:
On 5/24/2020 at 3:48 PM, raduan said:

@huevo1991

At least, I would be able to eat some good meat

Haha no doubt you will get good meat here!

You are both spot on. I was in Argentina last year and went to a steakhouse in BA, my first Argentine steakhouse. I had the porterhouse steak with chips and local wine. It was literally the best steak/meal I have ever had in my life. I would fly from Canada back to Argentina just to do a tour of the steakhouses. 

Back to reality, I sincerely hope everyone commenting on here is able to get into the US for school this fall. I can empathize/relate, having studied in the US for my masters degree as a foreigner. The process isn't easy even in the best of times and with this pandemic I am sure it is a lot more difficult. Trump is the reason I decided to stay in Canada for my PhD but right now with COVID I'm just grateful I don't have to deal with the US immigration process again in general. If the US does not work out, we'd love to have you here in Canada :)

Edited by Paulcg87
typo