Amandelqamar

Question

I am going to start my PhD in Chemistry in Michigan State, however as I am looking for a place to rent I don't know what should be my limit for the rent as I couldnt find any avarage cost of living. They told me that ''The current annualized stipend for first year graduate students is $25,924, paid on a bi-weekly basis.(for 2019-2020) '' and '' Based on the anticipated increase, a 12-month stipend for the 2020-2021 academic year will be $26,442. ''. But I also couldn't find any information about taxes as I am an international student. If anyone with experience would help me, I would be glad ^.^

Edited by Amandelqamar

1 answer to this question

14 minutes ago, Amandelqamar said:

I am going to start my PhD in Chemistry in Michigan State, however as I am looking for a place to rent I don't know what should be my limit for the rent as I couldnt find any avarage cost of living. They told me that ''The current annualized stipend for first year graduate students is $25,924, paid on a bi-weekly basis.(for 2019-2020) '' and '' Based on the anticipated increase, a 12-month stipend for the 2020-2021 academic year will be $26,442. ''. But I also couldn't find any information about taxes as I am an international student. If anyone with experience would help me, I would be glad ^.^

I've been using this living wage calculator from MIT to see what costs will be like and this income tax calculator to see what taxes will be for my school. I don't have experience living in Michigan, but those can give you an idea if no one here can help out.