Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) 2020-2021

PasserBy

12 minutes ago, stemcells said:

Western OGS was released today. Also told not to ask about the size/your position on the wait list. I was wait listed for both NSERC and OGS

I hope you get off the waitlist. I wonder how many people turn down ogs and how long they have to decide whether they accept or decline? 

Hi all. I was just notified I'm on the waitlist (Western). Do any of you guys know how common it is to get off the waitlist? Pretty happy to be waitlisted anyway because I expected rejection!

3 hours ago, Scienceyguy said:

I hope you get off the waitlist. I wonder how many people turn down ogs and how long they have to decide whether they accept or decline? 

Thanks I hope so too. Frankly I'm flattered that I'm on the list despite not having published any of my research yet, so that's good.

15 minutes ago, janelane2 said:

Hi all. I was just notified I'm on the waitlist (Western). Do any of you guys know how common it is to get off the waitlist? Pretty happy to be waitlisted anyway because I expected rejection!

It's dependent on whether or not those who were given initial offers are just going into grad school (i.e. do they have offers from other schools?), and whether they have been offered tri-council awards (NSERC, CIHR, SSHRC) which may force them to decline OGS. Unfortunately it seems the numbers vary by year, by faculty, by department, by school etc. and almost no schools release info about the size of wait lists. Just a waiting game or time to look to improving for time I would argue.

Just now, stemcells said:

It's dependent on whether or not those who were given initial offers are just going into grad school (i.e. do they have offers from other schools?), and whether they have been offered tri-council awards (NSERC, CIHR, SSHRC) which may force them to decline OGS. Unfortunately it seems the numbers vary by year, by faculty, by department, by school etc. and almost no schools release info about the size of wait lists. Just a waiting game or time to look to improving for time I would argue.

Ahhh I see. Do we compete with others in our department? (In other words are a certain number of scholarships allocated to one department?) I'm an incoming student and have no idea how it works. Frankly shocked to be on the waitlist at all because I thought my undergrad GPA was below the cutoff lol. Fingers crossed for both of us!

2 hours ago, janelane2 said:

Ahhh I see. Do we compete with others in our department? (In other words are a certain number of scholarships allocated to one department?) I'm an incoming student and have no idea how it works. Frankly shocked to be on the waitlist at all because I thought my undergrad GPA was below the cutoff lol. Fingers crossed for both of us!

OGS applications used to be reviewed by a central provincial board but for a number of years now it's the school itself that decides. The province allocates a certain number of awards per school and the school can distribute as they please. I would imagine most schools internally decide to allocate X awards per faculty rather than per department. I also know somebody who did not apply as an existing master's student and who was offered an OGS scholarship with her acceptance letter. So that means some schools could use OGS scholarships as bait for high quality students (in that case there would be no application at all). Hope that helps confuse even more :P

Also your entire undergrad GPA is not considered. I belive it is just your average of your most recent two years-worth of full time study (either most recent 10.0 credits or just average of last two Fall/Winter semesters, I'm not sure which). 

Yes, thanks fingers crossed!

Edited by stemcells

52 minutes ago, RentDue said:

I still haven't yet but I will post here once I do!

Not sure if it's the same for all departments in Guelph, but I was informed on Monday that the Office of Graduate Studies had received the names of the winners for OGS. Unfortunately, Graduate Studies was already short staffed prior to all the COVID stuff, and now with that and all of the awards, they are very behind. I emailed about my NSERC award on April 20th, and they have yet to do anything about it. 

My department was told that winners would hear back by the end of this week or next week. But again, I'm not sure if its the same for all departments :(

13 minutes ago, catPhD said:

Not sure if it's the same for all departments in Guelph, but I was informed on Monday that the Office of Graduate Studies had received the names of the winners for OGS. Unfortunately, Graduate Studies was already short staffed prior to all the COVID stuff, and now with that and all of the awards, they are very behind. I emailed about my NSERC award on April 20th, and they have yet to do anything about it. 

My department was told that winners would hear back by the end of this week or next week. But again, I'm not sure if its the same for all departments :(

1 hour ago, RentDue said:

I still haven't yet but I will post here once I do!

Thanks!  It should be the same!

I'm waitlisted for SSHRC, but not sure how many people are ahead of me/when they update the portal!

4 minutes ago, PopHealthGyal said:

Anyone get off the waitlist yet? Or informed otherwise?

nope... not holding out hope at this point because as a master's student, I think SSHRC notifications went out a few weeks ago and people would have probably declined their OGS already. Maybe PhDs have more of a chance? I'm applying for other scholarships left right and centre lol

2 hours ago, PopHealthGyal said:

Anyone get off the waitlist yet? Or informed otherwise?

Haven’t heard anything either. I know they told us in the email they would not disclose the waitlist positions but I’m tempted to email and ask about any movement on the list or something. I’m getting impatient  haha

2 hours ago, gradstudent2020 said:

Has anyone at York University heard anything?... I thought the results were scheduled to be released May 15... 

I just received a response from the York University Scholarship Awards Coordinator that I should find out my result by the end of this month.

Edited by AlsoGradStudent2020