Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) 2020-2021

PasserBy

Hi, 

I thought I would start a thread for my Ontario peers who may be gunning for the annual OGS scholarship and are awaiting acceptances or wait list as I am now. It is a little different since these are distributed by the university's so may have variance in reward timings. 

Reporting from uOttawa, nothing yet but I was told to expect mid to late April. 

3 hours ago, PasserBy said:

Hi, 

I thought I would start a thread for my Ontario peers who may be gunning for the annual OGS scholarship and are awaiting acceptances or wait list as I am now. It is a little different since these are distributed by the university's so may have variance in reward timings. 

I'm at Carleton and was successful in getting OGS. Notification went out beginning of March.

18 hours ago, PasserBy said:

Hi, 

Thanks for creating the thread. I've been wondering when uOttawa will have results for OGS. Hopefully it's this week!

My supervisor told me that they typically announce Ryerson's OGS results in May. I'm not sure if this has changed as I was told this around February (before COVID-19). Hope this information helps anyone!

5 minutes ago, PasserBy said:

SO ANYONE? 

No :( - last year my department (Bio @ UWO) didn't send out the results until the first week of May and the year before that was the last week of April. I think it's really dependent on your department/School. Hearing some good news would be really nice right about now though...

Last year the provincial government was quite late in notifying schools there annual quotas, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is the new normal. A lot of schools are saying mid-May for OGS results this year. Not sure if this is still the case this spring (re: late communications between province and schools), but I wouldn't expect to hear back this month (though that would be nice!)

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't receive any emails, does that mean the application wasn't successful? I assume they'd email you to let you know even if you didn't receive the OGS. I haven't heard anything from the UofG and I'm getting antsy!

21 minutes ago, RentDue said:

If you don't receive any emails, does that mean the application wasn't successful? I assume they'd email you to let you know even if you didn't receive the OGS. I haven't heard anything from the UofG and I'm getting antsy!

Heya - I am also U of G.  I was told by my graduate program assistant on Wednesday last week that we should be hearing end of that week (so Friday).  So I wouldn't start fretting until end of this week or even end of next week.

I'm also wondering how long it will take them to update the CGS-M waitlist.  Though I still can't find anyone who can confirm winning SSHRC @ Guelph.

1 hour ago, KayCee said:

Heya - I am also U of G.  I was told by my graduate program assistant on Wednesday last week that we should be hearing end of that week (so Friday).  So I wouldn't start fretting until end of this week or even end of next week.

I'm also wondering how long it will take them to update the CGS-M waitlist.  Though I still can't find anyone who can confirm winning SSHRC @ Guelph.

Thanks for the update ?. Much appreciated!

10 hours ago, Scienceyguy said:

Wait listed at uottawa. Any word on how many people get on the waitlist and how many move on average?

I'm also waitlisted at uOttawa (Arts) :(

I've asked a few people and they all seem to not know (or aren't allowed to say they know) the number or how many move on. But I do know it happens because a few peers have received both SSHRC and OGS (and take SSHRC, obviously).

Fingers crossed for both of us! 

21 hours ago, TenH said:

I did get an email from my department that says they “put forward my application” so I assume this is the first pass that departments do before official decisions are made?

Hmm, I was only notified once recently by the loans and awards office to say the competition has finished and applications were ranked into three categories: awarded, rejected or wait listed. Not sure what “put forward” means in your case, but I hope it’s good news for you! 

I wish I knew more about waitlist and the likelihood of moving off 

Just now, Scienceyguy said:

Hmm, I was only notified once recently by the loans and awards office to say the competition has finished and applications were ranked into three categories: awarded, rejected or wait listed. Not sure what “put forward” means in your case, but I hope it’s good news for you! 

I wish I knew more about waitlist and the likelihood of moving off 

It was pretty confusing! The email was titled “funding update” and just notified about a change in my package from the university itself and then mentioned “given your academic record we have put you forward for an OGS” or something along those lines, even though I had done the application myself (and we are required to anyways)

Just now, Scienceyguy said:

Hopefully you hear soon! The wait is the worst haha

And how vague everything is! The answer to all my questions seems to be “it depends” which is probably 100% true but does nothing to stop me always refreshing my application portal

Just now, TenH said:

And how vague everything is! The answer to all my questions seems to be “it depends” which is probably 100% true but does nothing to stop me always refreshing my application portal

Oh so you can see the status of your application via a portal? have you tried emailing your coordinator to ask about the release date?

20 minutes ago, Scienceyguy said:

Oh so you can see the status of your application via a portal? have you tried emailing your coordinator to ask about the release date?

We can! I had emailed the OGS contact and the firm answer was still somewhat unclear. I just hope to hear one way or the other to know for sure my status 

Hi all,

From uOttawa - I found out that I was waitlisted for OGS on April 24th. Keen to know if anyone knows how many people are on the waitlist, what the quota for awards are in the Faculty of Health Sciences, are what the likelihood is of coming off of the waitlist. The email specified that we cannot ask about our ranking.

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, PopHealthGyal said:

Hi all,

From uOttawa - I found out that I was waitlisted for OGS on April 24th. Keen to know if anyone knows how many people are on the waitlist, what the quota for awards are in the Faculty of Health Sciences, are what the likelihood is of coming off of the waitlist. The email specified that we cannot ask about our ranking.

Thanks!

I’m wondering the same. I would assume there is a deadline to accept by and so after that day passes if people reject we will hear about potentially coming off the waitlist? This is my first year applying