Leveling courses or 2nd BA in SLP?

Hello Everyone! 

I hope all is well and everyone continues to remain as safe as can be!

I am at a crossroads with whether I should just complete the required courses through a leveling program or get a second BA in SLP before applying to the MA/MS program. With the leveling program, I would have to pay upfront as financial aid isn't a factor. I might also have to take more classes than I need to fulfill the requirements of the various master's programs I am looking into. However, with a 2nd BA, I don't think I would have that issue as the prereq requirements would already be satisfied. Also, the BA program would qualify for financial aid and can be used to bolster my cumulative GPA (leveling programs don't do this). I'm just not sure which way I should go with this in respect to the time it will take to complete these requirements and the financial obligation it imposes. 

When I took my leveling courses online at longwood university, I was given financial aid in the form of loans if I wanted them. I’m not sure if all programs do that but it’s an option for them. The only course they didn’t offer was aural rehabilitation but I didn’t have a problem with getting into and applying for programs without it. Worse comes to worse I was just going to take it online at another college. All the rest of the prerequisites like a science class I had taken in undergrad. What extra classes might you have to take? I applied to 13 school (YIKES!!) and all their requirements were pretty much the same. 

I did a post-bacc at Pacific University and they also offered federal loans. I personally preferred doing that since it  was cheaper and quicker than a second bachelors. It may not affect your cumulative GPA, but it still looks good to programs if you get a 4.0 in your leveling courses.

I think this might depend on what is your GPA right now as an undergrad. If it's low and you think it you can bump it up with more classes then do that. I would look really close into this. Have your counselor help you determine how many A's do you need for  your desire GPA.  Usually, the more classes you take the less your GPA goes up. It will go up but little by little and you will need A's. Consider that some of the classes are not easy, physics, neuro, anatomy... The postbacc does look well on your application if you get a high GPA (which I think is very attainable). I went this route, it worked well for me. If you aren't sure if you have a high GPA for undergrad you can message me :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2020 at 4:32 PM, Cece93 said:

When I took my leveling courses online at longwood university, I was given financial aid in the form of loans if I wanted them. I’m not sure if all programs do that but it’s an option for them. The only course they didn’t offer was aural rehabilitation but I didn’t have a problem with getting into and applying for programs without it. Worse comes to worse I was just going to take it online at another college. All the rest of the prerequisites like a science class I had taken in undergrad. What extra classes might you have to take? I applied to 13 school (YIKES!!) and all their requirements were pretty much the same. 

Thank so much for your response! I think I need to take Stats (I took a stats class in methods of behavioral science to satisfy my psych degree requirement but, I don't think it falls in line with the Asha requirements). I need to take all the core SLP courses. However, I am concerned about my cumulative GPA for undergrad (which was a 2.8). Do you think the leveling courses will be taken into consideration to bolster my GPA or do universities look at that separately? In fact, I am concerned that I might have to get a 2nd BS to be considered as a candidate for Rush University, St. Xavier, and NYU Steinhardt. What do you think?

On 4/16/2020 at 1:56 PM, Shecan said:

I think this might depend on what is your GPA right now as an undergrad. If it's low and you think it you can bump it up with more classes then do that. I would look really close into this. Have your counselor help you determine how many A's do you need for  your desire GPA.  Usually, the more classes you take the less your GPA goes up. It will go up but little by little and you will need A's. Consider that some of the classes are not easy, physics, neuro, anatomy... The postbacc does look well on your application if you get a high GPA (which I think is very attainable). I went this route, it worked well for me. If you aren't sure if you have a high GPA for undergrad you can message me :)

Thank so much for your response! I think I need to take Stats (I took a stats class in methods of behavioral science to satisfy my psych degree requirement but, I don't think it falls in line with the Asha requirements). I need to take all the core SLP courses. However, I am concerned about my cumulative GPA for undergrad (which was a 2.8). Do you think the leveling courses will be taken into consideration to bolster my GPA or do universities look at that separately? In fact, I am concerned that I might have to get a 2nd BS to be considered as a candidate for Rush University, St. Xavier, and NYU Steinhardt. What do you think?

12 hours ago, Josieok said:

It’s hard to say about schools and GPAs. I was accepted into 4 NY (2 state and 2 private) schools and waitlisted at most of the out of state schools and outright rejected from all the public NYC/CUNY schools. My undergrad GPA was a 3.0 (which I had to scrape up from a 2.5 with a new major in psych and a minor over 2yrs ). The only interview I did, the head of the program saw how much my grades improved with my post BA courses and they liked that. I’d say a good post BA GPA and personal statement could be enough. You could always do your stats course at a community college, that’s where I initially took mine. Also, reach out to your top schools and show interest. Read the books and papers the professors published. I wish I had reached out more before applying.

Where I’m from we consider NYU as a “prestigious” college just like Colombia so I honestly didn’t consider applying. Cost was a major factor too. Some others who were accepted into your intended programs would be best to tell you about grades and their experience with getting in. I’ve seen some people on this forum who were accepted into their top choices and didn’t have a degree in communication sciences and had a lower undergrad GPA so it’s possible. Save yourself time and money and show them what you did after undergrad is what matters. Show growth!

On 4/25/2020 at 4:10 AM, Cece93 said:

It’s hard to say about schools and GPAs. I was accepted into 4 NY (2 state and 2 private) schools and waitlisted at most of the out of state schools and outright rejected from all the public NYC/CUNY schools. My undergrad GPA was a 3.0 (which I had to scrape up from a 2.5 with a new major in psych and a minor over 2yrs ). The only interview I did, the head of the program saw how much my grades improved with my post BA courses and they liked that. I’d say a good post BA GPA and personal statement could be enough. You could always do your stats course at a community college, that’s where I initially took mine. Also, reach out to your top schools and show interest. Read the books and papers the professors published. I wish I had reached out more before applying.

Where I’m from we consider NYU as a “prestigious” college just like Colombia so I honestly didn’t consider applying. Cost was a major factor too. Some others who were accepted into your intended programs would be best to tell you about grades and their experience with getting in. I’ve seen some people on this forum who were accepted into their top choices and didn’t have a degree in communication sciences and had a lower undergrad GPA so it’s possible. Save yourself time and money and show them what you did after undergrad is what matters. Show growth!

Cece93 you don't know how helpful your advice has been! I intend to follow the route you suggested and work toward a strong GPA for my post bacc courses and a solid personal statement (I am also working on my GRE scores). I will especially heed your advice to reach out to my top schools. 

I guess I should also look into expanding the number of schools I apply to. How many schools would you recommend applying to?

On 4/16/2020 at 1:56 PM, Shecan said:

Hello Shecan,

Thanks so much for your input! I completed my undergrad program a couple of years ago (a BA in Psychology). I know a 2.8 cumulative GPA is not high enough to qualify me for any of the SLP programs. However, I am hoping to bolster my chances of being considered for some of the schools of my interest by working hard on my post bacc classes to obtain As. I also want to make sure I have a strong personal statement, GRE , and letters of recommendation. What are your thoughts on my game plan?

Hi! I did a post-bacc, not sure if that's the same as leveling courses. I did not get a 2nd bachelors degree but I took all the pre-reqs needed for SLP programs. My undergrad GPA was lower (I think 3.3 or 3.2) but most applications ask for a GPA of your "last 60 credit hours" which included the post-bacc. I also got financial aid for that, as long as you're a full time student you should qualify for federal aid. I saw you mention NYU, I got accepted to their in person program and their online program after having done well in my post bacc.

Remember essay's mean a lot! So you can totally write about how you struggled in undergrad but showed how hard you can work during that postbacc where you get all A's :) I wasn't a great student before but when I started taking speech classes I put everything I had in and it's worked out. Sometimes you find the thing you love and it works!!!

Best of luck ❤️

On 4/28/2020 at 2:47 PM, Josieok said:

Cece93 you don't know how helpful your advice has been! I intend to follow the route you suggested and work toward a strong GPA for my post bacc courses and a solid personal statement (I am also working on my GRE scores). I will especially heed your advice to reach out to my top schools. 

I guess I should also look into expanding the number of schools I apply to. How many schools would you recommend applying to?

I applied to 13 schools all over the country, but I think 10 is enough. I went overboard when applying but I had some reach schools and I figured I needed more chances. There honestly are a good amount of out of state schools with lower tuition than in state schools. So while people might not think they can afford out of state tuition you’d  be surprised!! If you’re looking for GRE help Manhattan prep has great books. They helped me out (the ones i read). Some sites like eBay have them for cheap.

19 hours ago, Cece93 said:

I applied to 13 schools all over the country, but I think 10 is enough. I went overboard when applying but I had some reach schools and I figured I needed more chances. There honestly are a good amount of out of state schools with lower tuition than in state schools. So while people might not think they can afford out of state tuition you’d  be surprised!! If you’re looking for GRE help Manhattan prep has great books. They helped me out (the ones i read). Some sites like eBay have them for cheap.

Hey Cece93,

Thanks for the suggestion! I went ahead and invested in the 5lb Manhattan prep book because I have seen so many good reviews for it. I also purchase the ETS books since the test materials are created by them.

I have only been looking into in state schools or online schools (because I am concerned about living expenses elsewhere) but, to improve my odds, I have started considering out of state schools. 

Thanks again for all the helpful advice!

2 hours ago, Josieok said:

Hey Cece93,

Thanks for the suggestion! I went ahead and invested in the 5lb Manhattan prep book because I have seen so many good reviews for it. I also purchase the ETS books since the test materials are created by them.

I have only been looking into in state schools or online schools (because I am concerned about living expenses elsewhere) but, to improve my odds, I have started considering out of state schools. 

Thanks again for all the helpful advice!

Look into off campus housing through your school or an apartment/ house with roommates. There’s always people looking for young professionals or grad students and PhD students to share an apartment with. There’s literally off campus housing across the street from my school but I opted for on campus because I know I get distracted easily. It seems like you have a solid plan for What you need to do. Good luck and I’m glad I could help!!

• 3 months later...
On 4/15/2020 at 2:32 PM, Cece93 said:

Hi! Trying to figure out which post-bacc to take and I was wondering which grad schools you applied to matched their prerequisites to the Longwood post bacc program. Thank you!

18 hours ago, gigislp said:

Hi! Trying to figure out which post-bacc to take and I was wondering which grad schools you applied to matched their prerequisites to the Longwood post bacc program. Thank you!

Hi! I applied to Suny Plattsburgh, university of Redlands, iona, LIU Brooklyn, CUNY Brooklyn, CUNY queens, western Carolina university, Buffalo state college, St Joseph’s (I know I was missing a class for them but I can’t remember), edinboro, and I can’t remember the rest sorry!! But I had so many more I was considering and I had the prerequisites for. As you can see most of them were in NY. 

22 hours ago, Cece93 said:

Hi! I applied to Suny Plattsburgh, university of Redlands, iona, LIU Brooklyn, CUNY Brooklyn, CUNY queens, western Carolina university, Buffalo state college, St Joseph’s (I know I was missing a class for them but I can’t remember), edinboro, and I can’t remember the rest sorry!! But I had so many more I was considering and I had the prerequisites for. As you can see most of them were in NY. 

Thank you!