Teaching while doing comprehensive exam :(

Adelaide9216

This is tough. There is a course of approx 75 students that is being offered this summer at a local university. The course is EXACTLY on my expertise, and I feel like I've got what it takes to teach it. BUT, I've got my comprehensive exam to prepare for, so I don't think it is wise to do both at the same time :(:(:(:( The deadline to apply is tomorrow, and it hurts to let it go, but I think I've got no choice. Right? 

I asked the department if they keep CV/resumes in bank...I told them I'd love to teach it after comps, if possible.

Edited by Adelaide9216

If you haven't taught before, I would say to hold off. Do they offer it regularly? If there are 75 students, it sounds like it's a pretty popular class. Prepping a class, grading, answering emails, etc. takes a lot more time than you may think and that is a big class. 

10 minutes ago, PsyDuck90 said:

If you haven't taught before, I would say to hold off. Do they offer it regularly? If there are 75 students, it sounds like it's a pretty popular class. Prepping a class, grading, answering emails, etc. takes a lot more time than you may think and that is a big class. 

I agree.

I have been a TA for a semester, and the professor allowed me to teach the first half of every course of the semester. I've also done a lot of public speaking in the past years. So the public speaking part doesn't make me anxious. I also have a very clear sense of the content of the course, and they give syllabus from previous years to the new lecturers so that would help. But in terms of grading, that is something I have not done much indeed.

Yes, they offer the course regularly. I'll apply in Winter 2021, it's wiser to do that. 

4 minutes ago, Adelaide9216 said:

I agree.

I have been a TA for a semester, and the professor allowed me to teach the first half of every course of the semester. I've also done a lot of public speaking in the past years. So the public speaking part doesn't make me anxious. I also have a very clear sense of the content of the course, and they give syllabus from previous years to the new lecturers so that would help. But in terms of grading, that is something I have not done much indeed.

Yes, they offer the course regularly. I'll apply in Winter 2021, it's wiser to do that. 

Yeah, grading can take up a lot of time. Since this isn't a one time opportunity, it sounds like holding off until later would be the better choice since comps are a big milestone. 

On 4/19/2020 at 9:41 PM, Adelaide9216 said:

Do you recommend designing your own course? I saw also an application for a Special Topics course in my field, and I have ideas for that, but I don't know if it'd be too much work, even in 2021. 

Would this be in addition to RA work?  Designing your own course is *so* much work and I really wouldn't recommend it if it gets in the way of your research or your dissertation.  I would recommend to teach a well established course first and then progress to designing your own course eventually especially if you have never taught as the instructor of record before.

This also depends on how much teaching experience is expected in your field once you go on the job market.  Some fields expect that you will have been the instructor of record for multiple classes and some are okay with you only having been a TA so it really depends. 

• 4 weeks later...

It sounds like your mind is already pretty  made up, but for what its worth, I'm currently in comps and teaching at the same time and I do not feel overburdened. I think you just have to be merciless with your scheduling: I have to devote more hours to readings than I do to the course, but I usually "work 9 hour days" - so the first 4 are dedicated to the course, lunch break, final 4.5 are for comps. Rinse and repeat.

Teaching experience is valuable and not always easy to come by, at least at my institution. I'm willing to give up some study time for the chance. YMMV, good luck!

4 hours ago, telkanuru said:

I taught while prepping for comps. I did not do a good job teaching, and I didn't do a good job prepping for comps. I don't recommend the experience.

Yeah. I chose not to do both. Got enough on my plate already!