NSERC C/PGS-D Waitlist Alternate (2020)

StructIntern

I contacted them and they said that there were no awards given to alternates this year. The person was not sure if any would be awarded. 

I am thinking that I may need to re-apply. Do any of you know if you can use the same project for re-application? Can you copy and paste sections or would this be penalized and considered plagiarism...

Have any of you re-applied?

• 2 weeks later...

I also contacted them and they said that the results for the 2020 competition have not been made public yet and decision to elect candidates place on  the alternate list to be offered an award is not made yet either. They also said the election will start with those on the top of the list, and there is no guarantee for those place on the shortlist that they will get an award.

I didn't apply for the next year, because I passed my second year of PhD. so, I think still there is a little hope! good luck everyone.

• 1 month later...

Did anyone on the alternate list get news from NSERC yet? I know that I am the first rank among the shortlisted candidates based on the success rate that is published. but I didn't receive any email from NSERC. I'm totally disappointed!

On 11/16/2020 at 8:17 PM, r_PhD said:

Did anyone on the alternate list get news from NSERC yet? I know that I am the first rank among the shortlisted candidates based on the success rate that is published. but I didn't receive any email from NSERC. I'm totally disappointed!

Nope...didn't bother.....applying again this year for one last time!!!

Hi Folks, 

I have not received any news either. I am ranked 82/194 and the cut off in my category is 41%. So I'm 2 spots away. Oh well. I did not have time to re-apply this year but I am still very hopeful! 

Do you think it's still a possibility given that they have not posted the final recipients list?

It was my last chance and I didn't apply this year again. I know that last year the shortlist candidate in my group with my rank received the scholarship.

it's close to the end of the fiscal year and I'm not sure if we have any chance to receive it yet or not? I sent them email but didn't get any response. Maybe, we should call them!

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, AlkaKadri said:

I also got this email! It's almost too good to be true. Are we 100% sure it's not a glitch? And what does it mean that the award starts on May 1st 2020? Will they have to retroactively pay us for the past year?

Congrats! I know right? I got a weird e-mail yesterday saying that I should log-in to my extranet account, and I just assumed it was related to my re-submitted application. Thought it was weird to get word so soon for this cycle. Today before lunch got another e-mail and thought it was a sketchy e-mail... but since the e-mailed yesterday, I decided to jump in and click the link. Good thing I did, haha!

I think they will retroactively pay you, it has happened to me before for another award, so I don't imagine it would be much different. I think if you wanted to graduate May 2023, you should choose May 2020 for a PGSD3 for example, so that the fiscal periods align... but I'd double-check with your department regarding this.

Edited by mollusksrcool

On 1/15/2021 at 7:44 PM, charlink said:

Can CGS/PGS be used in a master program (MSc)? If my supervisor wants me to get a MSc first and then PHD (can write a letter to NSERC), can they allow using the first 2 years fund of CGS/PGS on the master program? 

I don't think CGS-D/PGS-D can be used for a Master's program -- from my knowledge they are degree specific. However, there is a master's award called CGS-M that is for your master's. I would recommend getting your CGS-M first as it will really help you get a doctoral level award later. Also -- If you start with a 1-year CGS-M, then transition to a PhD and you're awarded a 3-year CGS-D you will have 4 years of funding rather than just the 3 from the CGS-D. 

• 2 weeks later...

image.png.74d943ad2324c9abdfcc7ce9077e9a67.png

7 hours ago, AlphaBetta 12 said:

My friend last week got upgraded to CGS-D, hope one of you who is on the waitlist alternate got off.☺️

Thank you for sharing! I've been following this thread in hopes someone would post about movement from PGS-D to CGS-D. Fingers crossed this means a jump off the waitlist for someone else!