NSERC C/PGS-D Waitlist Alternate (2020)

StructIntern

I felt like we should start a new thread dedicated to the alternate and waitlist. I will start from myself:

Committee: 201

Avg Research Score 65

Avg Experience/Academic Score: 45 (my undergrad gpa is just above the cut-off for grad school admission but I have tons of industry experience. I wonder if I should be happy with this score as the work experience may have balanced things out a bit..definitely little I can change for next time)

Rank: 54% (extremely unlikely to move out of the waitlist) if the cut-off is around 42%. 

One thing I am surprised is the size of this waitlist. Apparently it goes all the way to 54% this year. I imagine I must be on the tail end of it. 

Edited by StructIntern

Thanks @StructIntern for starting this! I've been aggressively researching past years' waitlist stats but can't find anything so hopefully this will help calm me down.

Committee: 168

Avg Research: 4.07            Avg Experience: 4.00           (both out of 6, not sure why committees differ in grading styles?)

51 minutes ago, charlink said:

I wonder if it is possible to switch from "CGS to PGS" or from "PGS to CGS"? 

And is it possible to defer CGS/PGS for one year?

Not sure you'd want to switch from CGS to PGS, but maybe you can upgrade to CGS if you were originally awarded PGS and a CGS was declined by someone ranked above you? Not sure though.

Deferment depends on circumstances, but the award has to be accepted to be deferred https://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/Guides-Guides/TriRTA-TriBFR_eng.asp

If someone downgrades because they have to take it to a foreign institution, then that means no one from the waitlist will move up ???? Instead someone from PGS-D will upgrade to CGS-D in exchange for the spot ? Am I right?

6 minutes ago, StructIntern said:

If someone downgrades because they have to take it to a foreign institution, then that means no one from the waitlist will move up ???? Instead someone from PGS-D will upgrade to CGS-D in exchange for the spot ? Am I right?

Yeah, you're probably right! I suppose that would be a "switch". But isn't it institution-specific to begin with, so if you applied at a foreign school you'd only be applying to PGS (without clicking the checkbox for CGS consideration)? I only applied for my current school/program so I really don't know!

5 minutes ago, AVKado said:

Yeah, you're probably right! I suppose that would be a "switch". But isn't it institution-specific to begin with, so if you applied at a foreign school you'd only be applying to PGS (without clicking the checkbox for CGS consideration)? I only applied for my current school/program so I really don't know!

I think you can opt to apply for CGS-D anyway and do the downgrade later on.... they probably leave the option open on purpose to convince top students to stay 

19 hours ago, StructIntern said:

I think you can opt to apply for CGS-D anyway and do the downgrade later on.... they probably leave the option open on purpose to convince top students to stay 

I wonder if I applied for PGS-D, can I upgrade to CGS-D if one awardee decided not go to a non-Canada school and get downgraded to PGS-D? 

4 minutes ago, charlink said:

I wonder if I applied for PGS-D, can I upgrade to CGS-D if one awardee decided not go to a non-Canada school and get downgraded to PGS-D? 

yes...but that depends on your rank too and factors outside your control (i.e. someone else decide to go abroad)....

Edited by StructIntern

1 minute ago, StructIntern said:

yes...but that depends on your rank too and factors outside your control (i.e. someone else decide to go abroad)....

Thanks a lot for the information. Is it possible tot defer PGS-D for one year (because the chance of getting a visa is very small now due to the COVID 19). If I defer the PGS-D for one year, can I still be considered to upgrade to CGS after one year (because if there is still a visa issue one year later, I will just go to a Canada school)? 

1 hour ago, SalmoSalar said:

I am an alternate in committee 195. I believe I am very close to the cut off.

Ranked 77/182, with average scores of 57.00 and 63.67 for research ability and relevant experience, respectively.

Yes...extremely close...2-3 spots away I suspect...

2 hours ago, StructIntern said:

Yes...extremely close...2-3 spots away I suspect...

Does anyone have any idea of what my chances of getting off the wait list are if I am this close? 

Edited by SalmoSalar
Forgot to include quote

5 hours ago, mollusksrcool said:

Committee 195, Rank 81/182, 57.67 research ability and 60.00 relevant experience. Doubtful I'll move up the list enough to get funding, but you never know...

I am still surprised that I am on the waitlist in the first place....esp considering my rank is past the 50% mark....

On 4/20/2020 at 5:27 AM, SalmoSalar said:

I am an alternate in committee 195. I believe I am very close to the cut off.

Ranked 77/182, with average scores of 57.00 and 63.67 for research ability and relevant experience, respectively.

Definitely are right on the border, I was 75/182 in committee 195 and was awarded PGSD3. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/16/2020 at 11:13 AM, SalmoSalar said:

Has anyone on the waitlist heard from NSERC yet?

Not me. I expect you'll be the first to hear based on your standing!

Others I've talked to who were waitlisted + later awarded PGS in previous years were notified later in the summer (July-August). NSERC says that you could hear as late as January I think...

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, user907438 said:

Has anyone heard back about waitlists from NSERC yet? They still haven't published the recipient list while SSHRC has... so I'm thinking something is up!

I haven't heard anything yet, nor have I seen anything online that would indicate that they've reached out to alternates. You're right that NSERC still has published any results, so I am hoping that they are still processing people accepting/declining.

Hey guys, I’ve been lurking for a while but decided to comment. I’m also on the margin and have been hoping that I might get lucky. 82/194. I’m not sure if I should consider re-applying or wait a little longer. I’m in the process of moving houses and I’m older (38) so between this and my full time career job, I’m not sure how much time I’ll have to apply again this year. 
Anxious to know whether there is still some hope! 

16 hours ago, Boophys said:

Does anyone think that Covid might be a factor in delaying the final selection process? For example, do you think that folks who received NSERC this year, may have the opportunity to delay their start date? 

The only crux is that both CIHR and SSHRC have published their recipient list, it's only NSERC that is late with their release.

Has anyone been in contact with them?