Chances getting into HKS MC/MPA and Brown Watson MPA

Mpa-aspiration

Hey folks,

Question for you all.  I am interested in both Harvard Kennedy School MC/MPA and the Brown Watson MPA.  Mainly because they are both 1 year programs, which is the right amount of time I can be out of the workforce.  I am wondering if I am even a prime candidate for these program.  I have an amazing background that shows I'm devoted to doing good for society.  I just need to show I am able to do the work and not fall behind.  Which can be a challenge.  My undergrad GPA wasn't too hot..and I doubt I'll hit a 155 or higher on both Quant and Verbal on the GRE, I'm a horrible test taker.  However I went to business school- better GPA and I am taking additional classes to help show I am able to do the work. So please let know what you all think based on my a quick snapshot of my  background below.  Looking to apply this upcoming fall for both schools.

Currently: 4 plus years experience as a business consultant for two top consulting firms.  Work focused on business assessment- working with client and discovering ways to streamline their business process.  Worked on over 7 projects.

Currently: Major in the United States Marine Corps Reseves.  Role in the corps is focused on civil affairs- experience to building relationships between host nation and US Military.  2nd in command of a 20 -marine military planning section focused on civil consideration.  Deployed to Afghanistan as an artillery officer in 2010. Over 10 years of military experience.

Education: 

MBA'15 focused in Marketing. GPA 3.3

BA in Criminal Justice 2008.  GPA 2.3- I know bad

Currently taking an Economic Masters level course at Harvard Extension School (on track on getting an A) and plan to take 1 course of the HKS Public Leadership Credential, in order to show I am capable of doing the work.

Volunteer work:

Neighborhood elected official within Boston area.  

Marketing director for a Boston based nonprofit supporting children in Haiti.

Let me know your thoughts on my chances.  Sorry this is long winded btw.

25 minutes ago, Mpa-aspiration said:

Hey folks,

Question for you all.  I am interested in both Harvard Kennedy School MC/MPA and the Brown Watson MPA.  Mainly because they are both 1 year programs, which is the right amount of time I can be out of the workforce.  I am wondering if I am even a prime candidate for these program.  I have an amazing background that shows I'm devoted to doing good for society.  I just need to show I am able to do the work and not fall behind.  Which can be a challenge.  My undergrad GPA wasn't too hot..and I doubt I'll hit a 155 or higher on both Quant and Verbal on the GRE, I'm a horrible test taker.  However I went to business school- better GPA and I am taking additional classes to help show I am able to do the work. So please let know what you all think based on my a quick snapshot of my  background below.  Looking to apply this upcoming fall for both schools.

Currently: 4 plus years experience as a business consultant for two top consulting firms.  Work focused on business assessment- working with client and discovering ways to streamline their business process.  Worked on over 7 projects.

Currently: Major in the United States Marine Corps Reseves.  Role in the corps is focused on civil affairs- experience to building relationships between host nation and US Military.  2nd in command of a 20 -marine military planning section focused on civil consideration.  Deployed to Afghanistan as an artillery officer in 2010. Over 10 years of military experience.

Education: 

Currently taking an Economic Masters level course at Harvard Extension School (on track on getting an A) and plan to take 1 course of the HKS Public Leadership Credential, in order to show I am capable of doing the work.

Volunteer work:

Why do you wanna get an MPA? What are your post-graduation goals/aspirations?

Great question:  looking to make a career change into the public sector full time, ultimately running for office within the city or state level.  In addition to this continue to build my skillset within nonprofit management and better understanding of international development in order to continue to grow the nonprofit organization that I am part of.  Currently the organization has built 1 school for 50 children and provided job opportunities for folks within that town. Would love to help to grow additional schools and job opportunities in nearby areas.

Aside from the military been in the private sector, and getting tired of making someone else more money while folks in developing countries or even in our own country are starving. (Sorry got on my soap box lol)

On 4/28/2020 at 12:43 PM, Mpa-aspiration said:

Hey folks,

Education: 

Volunteer work:

1. I don't know Brown... - but I wouldn't go there period unless you want to go to academia or just have a year to explore stuff. They simply aren't one of the big hitters on IDEV by comparison to other options.

2. So normally I would say no shot in hell for HKS. If I was an admissions person, I would question your ability to graduate + be at a similar level as your peers academically. I say this with 2 assumptions.

a. your MBA probably not be that competitive to get into because most top 50 MBAs I know will not take people below a 2.5 GPA simply as a litmus test. I see your MBA GPA (and 3.3 isn't that good to begin with. It varies greatly by school, but the average GPA at schools that still have GPAs tend to be roughly 3.5 -- I know small sample size of the MBA schools I know, and I can be outdated). So either way below average for your MBA and way below average for your undergrad.

b. Your extra course work probably wouldn't account for much. Your leadership course is redundant since you have so much military experience. Your Master's Level economics course won't mean that much unless you are doing some level of serious econometrics (which I am assuming you aren't). It looks like you are hunting for brand and rather a serious sign of academic performance. It is more important to get a good grade at an undergrad level class in something hard at a state school than get a good grade at brand name online program for something that isn't that hard in the grand scheme of things.

Now... the big unknown is what the impact of COVID-19 will be. If HKS loses a good chunk of its international students due to movement restrictions, they will need to make up for it with US students and they may lower their standards. However, I think you fail to even pass threshold. 

My Recommendations:

1. Pivot into what you want to do without going to grad school.. you seem to be better off without going through the pains of explaining your GPA + standardized tests and you have a pretty good work experience story.

2. (and I could be totally wrong... but this is a hunch)... stop branding yourself as having worked for a "top consulting firm"... People who work at top consulting firm never refer to themselves as having worked for a top consulting firm. They say the brand or the grouping (Big 4, MBB, T1, or T2). Your credibility is challenged by not utilizing the correct lingo. 

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

On 4/28/2020 at 7:28 PM, Mpa-aspiration said:

Great question:  looking to make a career change into the public sector full time, ultimately running for office within the city or state level.  In addition to this continue to build my skillset within nonprofit management and better understanding of international development in order to continue to grow the nonprofit organization that I am part of.  Currently the organization has built 1 school for 50 children and provided job opportunities for folks within that town. Would love to help to grow additional schools and job opportunities in nearby areas.

Aside from the military been in the private sector, and getting tired of making someone else more money while folks in developing countries or even in our own country are starving. (Sorry got on my soap box lol)

Very inspiring motivations there! As one working in public sector myself, I can safely say it is your passion for helping others that will get you far. Anyone joining the public sector for any other reasons will find the journey very tough and unrewarding.