Nervous about being on my own

I recently found out that I was accepted into graduate school out of state. I am extremely happy, blessed, and grateful for this opportunity as my stats were on the low end and I did not think I would get in anywhere the first time applying. This is what I have dreamt about for so long, and I want everyone to know that if it is possible for me, then it is definitely possible for you as well! ❤️

That being said, following acceptance, I think it's natural to have some nerves. I've only ever lived at home and I've never been out-of state. I'm so excited for this new experience but at the same time I feel like I may fall into a depression and get extremely homesick. I'm a little worried about balancing a whole new environment while at the same time making sure I'm staying on top of my academics. I know people move for school all the time and this is what I try to remind myself. I just get a little sad thinking about being away from the comfort of home. Anyone in the same boat? 

Hi there! I also plan to move 13 hours away from home this fall for my program. It is a little intimidating; I did go to school out of state for undergrad but only 3 hours away. I also am a little nervous like you, but try and remind myself that I could end up loving it so much more than home. I don't like the idea of being away from anyone and everything familiar, but if I want this career it is the choice i have to make. Homesickness will be unavoidable at some point, but it doesn't have to be forever. Maybe you can still visit for the holidays, and you will be so distracted by your busy schedule I think the time will fly by!  :) 

I went to graduate school out of state, too. It was my only acceptance, as I had lower stats as well. I didn't think I'd get in anywhere, but they gave me the chance of a life time.  I was about 8 hours from home. I was super nervous to do that myself, because the furthest I had lived from home was two hours for undergrad. In all honesty, moving out of state and experiencing it was the best decision I ever made. I struggled at first, but I quickly figured out that it's temporary, and it will lead to the most opportunities you will have in your career for LIFE! I also had amazing support from the faculty and my friends in the cohort. You are all in it together.

Grad school is tough, but the people around you are what make it so special. So will your passion for the field. A lot of the outcome is what you tell yourself, too. If you talk positively to yourself, it goes such a long way! I wish you all the best! Please feel free to message me if you want more perspective from somebody who went through something similar to what you will experience! You've totally got this! ?

On 5/3/2020 at 6:30 AM, mmcat said:

Hi there! I also plan to move 13 hours away from home this fall for my program. It is a little intimidating; I did go to school out of state for undergrad but only 3 hours away. I also am a little nervous like you, but try and remind myself that I could end up loving it so much more than home. I don't like the idea of being away from anyone and everything familiar, but if I want this career it is the choice i have to make. Homesickness will be unavoidable at some point, but it doesn't have to be forever. Maybe you can still visit for the holidays, and you will be so distracted by your busy schedule I think the time will fly by!  :) 

You are totally right. If we want this career it is the choice that we have to make and I just have to remember it's temporary and it'll be worth it. Thank you so much :) 

16 hours ago, koalalover1 said:

I went to graduate school out of state, too. It was my only acceptance, as I had lower stats as well. I didn't think I'd get in anywhere, but they gave me the chance of a life time.  I was about 8 hours from home. I was super nervous to do that myself, because the furthest I had lived from home was two hours for undergrad. In all honesty, moving out of state and experiencing it was the best decision I ever made. I struggled at first, but I quickly figured out that it's temporary, and it will lead to the most opportunities you will have in your career for LIFE! I also had amazing support from the faculty and my friends in the cohort. You are all in it together.

Grad school is tough, but the people around you are what make it so special. So will your passion for the field. A lot of the outcome is what you tell yourself, too. If you talk positively to yourself, it goes such a long way! I wish you all the best! Please feel free to message me if you want more perspective from somebody who went through something similar to what you will experience! You've totally got this! ?

This means a lot and I'm glad to know that you were happy with your decision. I just have to make the most of the experience because it truly is once in a lifetime! Thank you so much for your reply! ❤️ :)