Hello everyone!

I began writing practice GRE essays to improve my score and familiarize myself with the format and expectations of the AWA section. Can anyone read my sample essay and attempt to grade it? if not, then advice will suffice. I will include the sample prompt and my response below. Thanks in advance!

The emergence of the online “blogosphere” and social media has significantly weakened the quality of political discourse in the United States. Reason: When anyone can publish political opinions easily, standards for covering news and political topics will inevitably decline.

Write a response in which you examine your own position on the statement. Explore the extent to which you either agree or disagree with it, and support your reasoning with evidence and/or examples. Be sure to reflect on ways in which the statement might or might not be true, and how this informs your thinking on the subject.

Anyone, regardless of political party and qualifications, should have the freedom to write their own political opinions on the internet and social media. The argument claims that the emergence of social media and blogging has weakened the quality of political discourse in America and has led to a decline in standards for covering news and political topics. I disagree with this statement.

First, social media and blogging had led to an increase in resources and a diverse range of topics and opinions. Having different sources does not cause a decline in standards. The standards should not come from only a limited number of individuals and corporations. By doing so, the people are not able to see more than one side of a story. The quality of political discourse improves if bloggers and social media users are able to report news and write about political topics.

Second, it is confirmed that media companies and newspapers are strongly influenced by political parties. For example, television news networks such as CNN and Fox News report on news and politics in vastly different ways. During the 2016 Presidential election, many news anchors reported that Hilary Clinton would easily win the election based on their polls and surveys. Fox News reported in support of Mr. Trump and displayed their survey in polls, indicating that he could win. These are two examples how much power a political party can have over a news company. Companies that publish a news article that is influenced by or is biased towards one party that turns out to be ultimately false and the motive was political gain. This weakens the standards of journalism. In journalism, one is taught to deliver news in a non-biased, neutral fashion. One must not report to support a political agenda as it becomes corrupt. Having a supportive stance on neutrality among bloggers and social media users strengthens the quality and standards of reporting the news.

Having a variety of sources in news due to bloggers and social media improves the standards of delivering news to the American people. By limiting who can report on political topics, it weakens the quality of political discourse. Delivering news by the people and for the people is what the USA should be held to a high standard.

Edited by Liza_Ann_92
forgot to include tags