MPH 2021 Canada

12 hours ago, allydaagator said:

Anyone else still waiting on Waterloo and Lakehead? Im still in the application phase, and I see there has been some rejections already so.... 

12 hours ago, Natasha7 said:

Waiting on waterloo! Quest says the same thing for me!

I'm also still waiting to hear back from them.

42 minutes ago, Confusedfrog said:

Does anyone know a general salary range of a job you can get with an MPH in Ontario? 

This really depends on the type of job you are looking for as well as your experience. However, starting salaries with minimal experience seem to range between $50 000 - 65 000.

On 4/15/2021 at 2:07 PM, MPH0921 said:

Thanks for the update. :) That sucks but at least we know there is still a chance of getting accepted, given enough people decline their offers. 

So re this I thought a lot of you would find it interesting on how they roll out the admissions processes.. 

I talked to the co-director for a different program at U of T (MHSc in clinical physiology) who also used to be my prof and from talking to her and going to the DLSPH open house in 2018 here's how I assume they do their admissions for DLSPH at the very least, if not for other graduate schools/programs as well. 

Round 1: After reviewing everyone's files they send out initial rejectiioins. These are people who did not meet the "unspecified" cut off. As someone said earlier they liikely rank you on each part of your application then choose a cutoff rank for further considerations. They also do immediate acceptances. This is for the most highly rated candidates who applied. They want to be competetive with other schools so they offer these people admissioins first. 

Ongoing rounds: So this is where it gets interesting. From talking to my old prof, she said that they want to ensure their incoming cohort is diverse in terms of demographics (place of undergrad, undergraduate study, age, race, ethnicity, etc.) AND diverse in experiences. Hence even though a lot of medical professionals apply they obvs want a cohort that is mixed in terms of their experiences. This is mostly because they only have so many seats to fill so they want to make sure that even though it's a "smaller" program, they have a representative group. 

TLDR: if you haven't heard an answer, it's not that you're rejected and have to wait for a spot to open up, it's more likely that they have already admitted their top candidates and are now in the process of a rolling decision to ensure they have a diverse cohort for the incoming class. Be patient! It's still early for decisions to be coming out and most schools won't finalize until June/July. 

Congrats to  everyone who received acceptances already and good luck to everyone still waiting! :)

21 minutes ago, mph wannabe said:

So re this I thought a lot of you would find it interesting on how they roll out the admissions processes.. 

I talked to the co-director for a different program at U of T (MHSc in clinical physiology) who also used to be my prof and from talking to her and going to the DLSPH open house in 2018 here's how I assume they do their admissions for DLSPH at the very least, if not for other graduate schools/programs as well. 

Round 1: After reviewing everyone's files they send out initial rejectiioins. These are people who did not meet the "unspecified" cut off. As someone said earlier they liikely rank you on each part of your application then choose a cutoff rank for further considerations. They also do immediate acceptances. This is for the most highly rated candidates who applied. They want to be competetive with other schools so they offer these people admissioins first. 

Ongoing rounds: So this is where it gets interesting. From talking to my old prof, she said that they want to ensure their incoming cohort is diverse in terms of demographics (place of undergrad, undergraduate study, age, race, ethnicity, etc.) AND diverse in experiences. Hence even though a lot of medical professionals apply they obvs want a cohort that is mixed in terms of their experiences. This is mostly because they only have so many seats to fill so they want to make sure that even though it's a "smaller" program, they have a representative group. 

TLDR: if you haven't heard an answer, it's not that you're rejected and have to wait for a spot to open up, it's more likely that they have already admitted their top candidates and are now in the process of a rolling decision to ensure they have a diverse cohort for the incoming class. Be patient! It's still early for decisions to be coming out and most schools won't finalize until June/July. 

Congrats to  everyone who received acceptances already and good luck to everyone still waiting! :)

That's interesting how they consider demographics, definitely a unique approach opposed to traditional methods of acceptance. Thank you for sharing this, :) I'm hopeful that's there's still a chance for those of us who are anxiously waiting! 

5 hours ago, Invictus101 said:

Me! I’m still expecting it to be awhile given the late application deadline. Hoping to hear back sometime in May maybe...

Yup, same here! I emailed admissions a couple of days ago and they said we should hear back by mid May. Hope we hear some good news in a couple of weeks. 

Hi everyone! I am currently waitlisted at Western for the MPH - I wanted to ask if anyone else who submitted an application heard anything back about being considered for the Global Health Systems program? When I applied there was a question of whether or not I'd be interested in being considered for that program, I chose yes but am unsure if i should contact the admissions office about it or wait for them to reach out to me.