MPH 2021 Canada

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I intend to apply for a MPH in Canada.

I am an international medical student and working on my thesis at the moment (in cardiology), so I do possess experience in research, I even presented a poster at a meeting of the national cardiologic society. 

However, we don't have something like GPA in my home country. For medicine, we only have three state examinations after years 2,5 and 6 which make up the final grade. We do get graded from years 3-5 on course work but that doesn't count towards the final grade, however I have a transcript with these marks. I did well on the first state examination, not so well on the second and still have to pass the third one and I had really good marks during the courses. I wonder whether Canadian universities will take the final grade or the grades of the last two years of course work?                                                                                                                                           Do you think I should contact the faculties directly and ask them? Our university system is not like the Canadian one at all. 

I also don't know whom to ask for the second reference. I am going to ask the supervisor of my thesis for the first one but I don't know any professors well enough to ask for the second one. Apart from working in the hospital, I don't have experience volunteering in the public health field. I am going to look for opportunities to do so. In general, I plan to apply to universities where lower GPAs are accepted (due to my not so good mark in the second state examination). 

Do you know if the international students who are accepted normally have Canadian undergraduate degrees? I feel like the chance of getting accepted as an international student is already lower than a domestic applicant's one and if you look at student profiles at Queens or Guelph, the internationals who did get in normally have undergraduate degrees from Canadian universities. I still hope that I have a chance though, I don't know about many students with MD degrees applying.

Edited by Seahawk

On 5/21/2020 at 4:14 PM, Seahawk said:

Hi,

I intend to apply for a MPH in Canada.

I am an international medical student and working on my thesis at the moment (in cardiology), so I do possess experience in research, I even presented a poster at a meeting of the national cardiologic society. 

However, we don't have something like GPA in my home country. For medicine, we only have three state examinations after years 2,5 and 6 which make up the final grade. We do get graded from years 3-5 on course work but that doesn't count towards the final grade, however I have a transcript with these marks. I did well on the first state examination, not so well on the second and still have to pass the third one and I had really good marks during the courses. I wonder whether Canadian universities will take the final grade or the grades of the last two years of course work?                                                                                                                                           Do you think I should contact the faculties directly and ask them? Our university system is not like the Canadian one at all. 

I also don't know whom to ask for the second reference. I am going to ask the supervisor of my thesis for the first one but I don't know any professors well enough to ask for the second one. Apart from working in the hospital, I don't have experience volunteering in the public health field. I am going to look for opportunities to do so. In general, I plan to apply to universities where lower GPAs are accepted (due to my not so good mark in the second state examination). 

Do you know if the international students who are accepted normally have Canadian undergraduate degrees? I feel like the chance of getting accepted as an international student is already lower than a domestic applicant's one and if you look at student profiles at Queens or Guelph, the internationals who did get in normally have undergraduate degrees from Canadian universities. I still hope that I have a chance though, I don't know about many students with MD degrees applying.

Hey! From which country do you have your degree in, if you don't mind me asking?

Germany. It's really hard to get good grades in the state examinations though. I feel like I would have achieved much higher grades if I had done a bachelor in health sciences (there, all of the marks count, not just three big tests). Do they take into consideration that it is harder to achieve high marks in certain degrees than in others? 

I just found a thread with stats about application numbers and intakes of internationals and sometimes there were 200 international applicants and only 7-15 internationals accepted :0 

Apparently, I also have to take an additional class because I didn't have a pure statistics class included in my studies (only one called epidemiology, medical biometry and IT, but I don't know if that counts). Thinking about taking an online one at Athabasca university or the Summer class at the University of Ottawa which will be online due to Covid.

Could you share your stats and experiences, please? Are you a domestic or international applicant?

Edited by Seahawk

Hi, i am also looking forward to applying for MPH at western uni this year. I am an IMG from Pakistan , and i have a question that what credentials do i need to become eligible to apply for this Masters Program? Do i need a stats or maths course ? Kindly help. thanks

Hello! I'm interested in a few different MPH programs, Guelph, Western, McMaster and UofT! 

I have completed an HBSc life science from UofT,  and almost finished an BASc Public Health and safety from Ryerson University. I have a year's professional research assistant experience at a biotechnology laboratory, volunteer experience with students with disabilities, public health marketing, food assistance research and crisis responder positions. 

Best of luck to everyone applying :) :) 

On 5/26/2020 at 2:08 PM, Noor_tarar said:

Hi, i am also looking forward to applying for MPH at western uni this year. I am an IMG from Pakistan , and i have a question that what credentials do i need to become eligible to apply for this Masters Program? Do i need a stats or maths course ? Kindly help. thanks

Hey! I believe you will need at least one undergraduate stats course, like a biostats of some sort! 

18 hours ago, devika143 said:

Hello! I'm interested in a few different MPH programs, Guelph, Western, McMaster and UofT! 

I have completed an HBSc life science from UofT,  and almost finished an BASc Public Health and safety from Ryerson University. I have a year's professional research assistant experience at a biotechnology laboratory, volunteer experience with students with disabilities, public health marketing, food assistance research and crisis responder positions. 

Best of luck to everyone applying :) :) 

Hey! :) Which stream at UofT will you be applying to? 

On 5/30/2020 at 1:40 PM, Excel725 said:

Hey! :) Which stream at UofT will you be applying to? 

hello :) I will be applying most likely to the MPH Epidemology stream, and occupational/environmental health! How about you? 

On 5/31/2020 at 5:50 PM, devika143 said:

hello :) I will be applying most likely to the MPH Epidemology stream, and occupational/environmental health! How about you? 

I believe you can only apply to one stream! I will be applying to Epidemiology! :) Did you graduate in 2018? :D

Edited by Excel725

On 6/1/2020 at 11:29 PM, Excel725 said:

I believe you can only apply to one stream! I will be applying to Epidemiology! :) Did you graduate in 2018? :D

Yes! That's true! I will be leaning towards Epidemiology as well, as I do have interests in data analysis and policy. Yes, from my first degree I did graduate in 2018! Are you interested in applying to other schools, or just UofT? 

• 4 weeks later...

Heyy 

I need help calculating my estimate canadian equivalent gpa. I’m a foreign trained dentist and have done my bachelors from pakistan. My total percentage is 67%. Please someone convert it for me and also please tell me the minimum gpa required for mph in canada

Thank you!!

On 6/28/2020 at 11:45 PM, Aiza said:

Heyy 

I need help calculating my estimate canadian equivalent gpa. I’m a foreign trained dentist and have done my bachelors from pakistan. My total percentage is 67%. Please someone convert it for me and also please tell me the minimum gpa required for mph in canada

Thank you!!

You need at least a mid-B for most MPH programs (mid 70's and higher) in your final two years of school! 

On 7/3/2020 at 11:43 PM, Excel725 said:

You need at least a mid-B for most MPH programs (mid 70's and higher) in your final two years of school! 

So I have no chance of getting in? If you don’t mind sharing where did you do your bachelors from and your percentage?

On 7/3/2020 at 11:43 PM, Excel725 said:

Hi! I'll be applying to a few  -  I have an MPP from Munk + did my undergrad at McGill.

Mainly hoping for McGill's MScPH or UofT MPH (epi and health promotion).  I'm leaning towards McGill because I feel they have a pretty strong repertoire of substantive, practice-based courses (On program planning, leadership, surveillance, impact evaluation, etc.) and also economics-based and ethics/policy/sociology courses. I know it's quite quantitatively heavy (first year is the same as their epi program lol) but I have a few friends who have gone through it + landed health promotion / policy analyst jobs with PHAC. I feel doing Toronto's health promotion could limit your prospects in epi-focused positions, but the MScPH doesn't really limit your health promotion prospects?  

Anyways - Hoping I can get in this round lol. Applied before with a 3.76 and got Into UT health promo but McGill rejection. 

21 hours ago, Lookinginph said:

Hi! I'll be applying to a few  -  I have an MPP from Munk + did my undergrad at McGill.

Mainly hoping for McGill's MScPH or UofT MPH (epi and health promotion).  I'm leaning towards McGill because I feel they have a pretty strong repertoire of substantive, practice-based courses (On program planning, leadership, surveillance, impact evaluation, etc.) and also economics-based and ethics/policy/sociology courses. I know it's quite quantitatively heavy (first year is the same as their epi program lol) but I have a few friends who have gone through it + landed health promotion / policy analyst jobs with PHAC. I feel doing Toronto's health promotion could limit your prospects in epi-focused positions, but the MScPH doesn't really limit your health promotion prospects?  

Anyways - Hoping I can get in this round lol. Applied before with a 3.76 and got Into UT health promo but McGill rejection. 

Hey! Is your 3.76 GPA cumulative or from your final two years? If you don't mind, what experiences will you be applying with, and what did you do your undergrad in? I have a 3.7 GPA in my final two years (at UofT - human bio) and experience in research at UHN for about a year! :)

Edited by Excel725

20 hours ago, Excel725 said:

Hey! Is your 3.76 GPA cumulative or from your final two years? If you don't mind, what experiences will you be applying with, and what did you do your undergrad in? I have a 3.7 GPA in my final two years (at UofT - human bio) and experience in research at UHN for about a year! :)

Cumulative! But final 2 are very similar. I did a BSc. with sociology minor, and a few ECs (ran a social-justice based club, had a job in healthcare post-grad). Which programs are you looking at?

McGill's MScPH is very practice-based and my application made it appear that I was interested in the research side; when I asked about the application they said they looked for applicants who had a well formed idea of what they want out of the program so I guess my research interest wasn't fully on brand - I don't think it was as much about GPA. U of T's is also a professional degree (non-thesis) but I feel it is more open to people interested in research as well? (no formal source for that lol but I've had friends graduating from both programs that went on to PhDs)

Canada's public health pedagogy feels very much under development and post-graduation opportunities seem to be in all forms. (ie. McGill grads going for epi jobs, health promo, policy analysts and PhD, and Toronto grads going for similar despite the program differences). 

21 minutes ago, Lookinginph said:

Cumulative! But final 2 are very similar. I did a BSc. with sociology minor, and a few ECs (ran a social-justice based club, had a job in healthcare post-grad). Which programs are you looking at?

McGill's MScPH is very practice-based and my application made it appear that I was interested in the research side; when I asked about the application they said they looked for applicants who had a well formed idea of what they want out of the program so I guess my research interest wasn't fully on brand - I don't think it was as much about GPA. U of T's is also a professional degree (non-thesis) but I feel it is more open to people interested in research as well? (no formal source for that lol but I've had friends graduating from both programs that went on to PhDs)

Canada's public health pedagogy feels very much under development and post-graduation opportunities seem to be in all forms. (ie. McGill grads going for epi jobs, health promo, policy analysts and PhD, and Toronto grads going for similar despite the program differences). 

Can confirm - ish :)  hahahaa.  I'm starting McGill MScph in Fall 2020, but I was accepted to UofT too. I had a supervisor at mcgill in the department who told me that most successful applicants for the MScph apply with a vision of working in practice-based public health more often than research. But I dont fully think UofTs health promo "limits your options in epi", if you take enough epi-focused electives.  I did however choose mcgill because its a little less of a dichotomy and more rounded than toronto's programs MPH in epi vs health promo. 

Don't forget to take a look at uOttawa! They just started their MPH this year (4 term program). The application was very straightforward and the "letter of intent" is more of a form you fill out. There is a lot of really relevant practicum placements too in Ottawa!

On 7/8/2020 at 7:53 AM, Gradthenmed said:

Don't forget to take a look at uOttawa! They just started their MPH this year (4 term program). The application was very straightforward and the "letter of intent" is more of a form you fill out. There is a lot of really relevant practicum placements too in Ottawa!

Do you know if their GPA requirement is for the last 2 years or the entire degree?

On 7/8/2020 at 6:53 PM, Gradthenmed said:

Hi, 

Can you guide me a little bit more about uottawa as I’m a resident of ottawa. Do they require IELT’s. What are the chances of getting in mph program at uottawa

On 7/8/2020 at 9:53 AM, Gradthenmed said:

Did you apply this year?? I saw someone post about the program I think in a thread from last year

It looks interesting! My main concerns were that it is a 4-term program rather than 5, and it's still quite early in development so I find the elective options are quite limited (especially in epi-focused courses).

On 7/10/2020 at 6:46 PM, healthfan said:

Do you know if their GPA requirement is for the last 2 years or the entire degree?

I believe that they look at your cumulative grade point average. You may want to email gradmed and they could give you a more accurate answer.

On 7/11/2020 at 1:21 AM, Aiza said:

Hi, 

Can you guide me a little bit more about uottawa as I’m a resident of ottawa. Do they require IELT’s. What are the chances of getting in mph program at uottawa

Hi! I believe that there is a language requirement for international students. I have never had to deal with any international barriers in regards to attending university in Canada, so I don't know much about that process. In terms of uOttawa programs, I am happy to answer any questions if you want to send me a message!

20 hours ago, Lookinginph said:

Did you apply this year?? I saw someone post about the program I think in a thread from last year

It looks interesting! My main concerns were that it is a 4-term program rather than 5, and it's still quite early in development so I find the elective options are quite limited (especially in epi-focused courses).

Hi! Yes I did apply this year and I accepted my offer a week or so ago. It is a 4 term program, but there are many schools that have a 1 year MPH program. technically, it is a 3 year program in terms of taking courses and the Summer semester it is a placement where you intern/work in a public health position. There is the option of having an extra semester, but that is for language courses (usually French). I do agree that the electives themselves may be a little limited, but in general I do like the idea of the different streams that will help you specialize in your area of interest.

On 7/12/2020 at 8:59 PM, Gradthenmed said:

I believe that they look at your cumulative grade point average. You may want to email gradmed and they could give you a more accurate answer.

Hi! I believe that there is a language requirement for international students. I have never had to deal with any international barriers in regards to attending university in Canada, so I don't know much about that process. In terms of uOttawa programs, I am happy to answer any questions if you want to send me a message!

Hi! Yes I did apply this year and I accepted my offer a week or so ago. It is a 4 term program, but there are many schools that have a 1 year MPH program. technically, it is a 3 year program in terms of taking courses and the Summer semester it is a placement where you intern/work in a public health position. There is the option of having an extra semester, but that is for language courses (usually French). I do agree that the electives themselves may be a little limited, but in general I do like the idea of the different streams that will help you specialize in your area of interest.

Hey! Congrats with your UOttawa MPH offer! :) If you don't mind sharing - what were you experiences (volunteer + work) and GPA like prior to applying? 

8 hours ago, Excel725 said:

Hey! Congrats with your UOttawa MPH offer! :) If you don't mind sharing - what were you experiences (volunteer + work) and GPA like prior to applying? 

Thank you! :) 

So the work experience that I added to my CV for the program was ~2.5 years working for Newborn Screening Ontario (public health sector), ~1 year working with health records at a major childrens hospital, and about 3 years working as a research assistant in a lab at uOttawa. I have 1 publication and working on ~3 papers that should be ready for publishing within the next year. I also volunteer with Health Promotion on campus (3 years) and the Ronald McDonald Family Room at a nearby hospital as well (still currently employed/volunteering with all of these positions). 

My uOttawa GPA is a 8.85 I think? I don't know if they look at it, but its a steady increase in GPA where my last 2 years were perfect.