MPH 2021 Canada

52 minutes ago, cheesecakelover said:

Hi! Thanks for being on this forum and offering to answer questions! I was just wondering how the pandemic has affected learning for students in the program. Are all the courses happening online? How is covid going to affect your practicum experiences? I was wanting to move out, however if the classes are all going to be online I'm thinking it would be more advantageous to stay at home and save on rent. 

Hey there,

Yes all of our courses have been online. It's a blessing and a curse I'd say. I was employed before starting the program and my job shifted online so I have been able to juggle both work and school- I was previously planning to leave and take on OSAP so this has been a huge financial win. Taking courses online is challenging for me personally as I struggle with focus and motivation in the walls of my home (I was a library student in my undergrad). However, the professors and TAs have been understanding of the collective stress students are experiencing; some have altered their course loads to be more manageable which is always appreciated!

The Indigenous Health program is unique as we have a personal practicum advisor for our cohort who finds practicums for us (unlike other programs where there may be a few options presented but students need to secure their own). So far all of the ones that have been sent out are online so it will be interesting to see what those entail. 

There has been no word of what the next year will bring and I think it is too soon to tell. There are so many changing factors as to whether it will be safe to return to in person class- we'll have to wait and see!

31 minutes ago, mphstudent2022 said:

Hey there,

Yes all of our courses have been online. It's a blessing and a curse I'd say. I was employed before starting the program and my job shifted online so I have been able to juggle both work and school- I was previously planning to leave and take on OSAP so this has been a huge financial win. Taking courses online is challenging for me personally as I struggle with focus and motivation in the walls of my home (I was a library student in my undergrad). However, the professors and TAs have been understanding of the collective stress students are experiencing; some have altered their course loads to be more manageable which is always appreciated!

The Indigenous Health program is unique as we have a personal practicum advisor for our cohort who finds practicums for us (unlike other programs where there may be a few options presented but students need to secure their own). So far all of the ones that have been sent out are online so it will be interesting to see what those entail. 

There has been no word of what the next year will bring and I think it is too soon to tell. There are so many changing factors as to whether it will be safe to return to in person class- we'll have to wait and see!

That's true, only time will tell when we can start returning to the real normal. Anyways, thanks for your reply and glad to hear the professors are understanding. For some reason I overlooked the DLSPH when working on my other applications, but I think I might do a last minute application for their health promotion stream. Didn't even realize they only look at the last year of study!!!

21 hours ago, cheesecakelover said:

That's true, only time will tell when we can start returning to the real normal. Anyways, thanks for your reply and glad to hear the professors are understanding. For some reason I overlooked the DLSPH when working on my other applications, but I think I might do a last minute application for their health promotion stream. Didn't even realize they only look at the last year of study!!!

Definitely don't overlook the DLSPH! It's the highest ranked Canadian program and on international scales it's one of the best in the world. You are highly connected to researchers and health agencies plus there are many options for Collaborative Specializations in a variety of fields (Addictions/Mental Health, Policy, Environmental Health, Indigenous Health etc.). Look into it for sure! :)

1 hour ago, mphstudent2022 said:

Definitely don't overlook the DLSPH! It's the highest ranked Canadian program and on international scales it's one of the best in the world. You are highly connected to researchers and health agencies plus there are many options for Collaborative Specializations in a variety of fields (Addictions/Mental Health, Policy, Environmental Health, Indigenous Health etc.). Look into it for sure! :)

Applied to it yesterday! Hopefully my references get uploaded before the deadline (on the 18th) ?

I just finished the last of my applications today! I applied to 5 different MPH programs, and 1 NP program. Such a long journey, and now the waiting game officially begins. 

I'm a Registered Nurse, in BC, so my bachelors degree is a  Bachelor of science in Nursing. 

I have experience in both acute care, as well as community and primary care environments.

I lived and worked with a small American based NGO in Haiti for 6 months, in the treatment of childhood malnutrition. 

I've done a small amount of research work with the Canadian Cancer Society.

Academically, I have a 3.5 GPA overall, 3.8 only counting last 2 year upper level courses. Everything is so competitive, so I am hoping my well rounded experiences will help cancel out the fact I'm not the strongest applicant academically. 

I applied to MPH at 

Queen's

Western

University of Toronto: Health Promotion stream

University of Ottawa

University of Victory

I also applied to the University of Toronto's Nurse practitioner program, Global health option. 

Good Luck to us all as we wait to hear back!

Hi does anyone know if Queens look at the last 2 years GPA for MPH or do they look at CGPA? Their website states you need minimum 75% in the following degrees but it doesn't specify anything else. Some clarification would be appreciated! Thank you. 

1 hour ago, Mphepi2021 said:

In their application they ask for your overall GPA and also the GPA from your last year, so my guess would be overall!

I just got an email back from them stating they look at your most recent 20 courses! So I guess it's not only cGPA. Just putting this out there for anyone else who was confused and might stumble upon this. 

How would anyone rank the following programs based on competitiveness? I'm struggling trying to choose one more school to apply to and as someone with a low GPA and decent work/volunteer experience, I'm trying to be realistic about my options since application fees are costly and of course I'm not trying to make my referee write 20 letters ?

Queens MPH, uOttawa MPH, Western MPH (side note how do you feel about the no OSAP coverage), McMaster MSc Global Health? Thanks for any insight! 

On 1/17/2021 at 10:51 PM, jas98 said:

Hi does anyone know if Queens look at the last 2 years GPA for MPH or do they look at CGPA? Their website states you need minimum 75% in the following degrees but it doesn't specify anything else. Some clarification would be appreciated! Thank you. 

What programs have you already applied to? I wouldn't apply to Mac's global health if your looking for a less competitive option- there are alot of strong applicants that apply to that as a back up to med school because it is only 1 year.

1 hour ago, Mphepi2021 said:

What programs have you already applied to? I wouldn't apply to Mac's global health if your looking for a less competitive option- there are alot of strong applicants that apply to that as a back up to med school because it is only 1 year.

That's true, I guess I'll cross it off my list. Would you say Western is similar since it is only one year too? 

2 hours ago, Shwemih said:

Hey guys, the wait is nerve wrecking. With COVID and delays when should we start to hear from universities?

I totally feel you! I'm hoping some universities will start to announce decisions by mid-late Feb. If not, then early March for sure. The wait is killing me ?

I've applied to the MPH programs at Queen's and Memorial. I also applied to the Environmental Health specializations at Alberta and at McGill. I'm eager to hear back and the wait is killing me too! I'm hoping we'll hear back by mid-February to mid-March.

Edited by Viggo

15 hours ago, LindaZhou said:

Hey Guys, I am applying to UVic right now. It says on their website that the CV have to be double-spaced. Anyone know that that is going to be carried out? As I have already formated my CV to be single-spaced

I applied to UVic last year with a single-spaced CV and was accepted. Not sure if it was in spite of the CV formatting or not but they didn't decline it or anything. Hope that helps.