MPH 2021 Canada

5 hours ago, Shwemih said:

Hey guys. Has anyone applied to UoA Health Promotion distance learning? I am wondering if your application status changed ? 

Hey! I applied to UofA Health Promotion, but on-campus. I noticed my status changed to "Under Review" last week.

On 8/9/2020 at 9:41 PM, healthfan said:

Hi everyone! I'm taking the thesis-based route and will be applying to MSc programs this Fall. The schools I'm thinking of applying to are: U of A, U of C, SFU,  maybe UWaterloo, maybe UBC.

Like others on this thread, I don't know anyone who has applied to an MPH or MSc and am sorta lost lol. Would really appreciate any tips  on how to word things like "research interests" (for example, should I stay broad or really get specific?) on the letter of intent and CV. I have decent research experience (RA for a couple labs and carried out independent studies) but my grades for first 2ish years were not good at all and because I'm applying before I graduate undergrad, some courses of the "bad years" will be counted towards my application GPA and bring down my overall GPA.  Also how do you reach out to a potential supervisor? Is it advised to email them your CV and unofficial transcript? Because of the bad grades on my transcript, I'm worried a supervisor will think I'm not a good enough applicant and not even reply back. Thanks in advance :) 

did you receive any response from UofA? i also applied there for 2021 admission but haven't heard back yet.

1 hour ago, wxr said:

Hey! I applied to UofA Health Promotion, but on-campus. I noticed my status changed to "Under Review" last week.

mine too! Just changed to under review last week. Hope we get in!

7 hours ago, Shwemih said:

Hey guys. Has anyone applied to UoA Health Promotion distance learning? I am wondering if your application status changed ? 

I applied to UofA's health promotion (in class learning) and the application is "under review" currently. No updates yet for me. 

2 hours ago, wxr said:

54 minutes ago, MPHpls said:

mine too! Just changed to under review last week. Hope we get in!

38 minutes ago, MPHpls said:

I applied to UofA's health promotion (in class learning) and the application is "under review" currently. No updates yet for me. 

Hey! can I ask when you submitted your apps? My status still says "Pre-Screening" ? I applied to UofA Global Health.

Just now, LavenderLover said:

Hey! can I ask when you submitted your apps? My status still says "Pre-Screening" ? I applied to UofA Global Health.

Hey! I submitted it right before the deadline on dec 15th, maybe on the 14th or 13th. I emailed admissions and also provided my application number. They said "We expect to communicate the outcome of your application in April.". Does this mean that i'm on the waiting list? Cause I know rejections and acceptances for UofA's MPH program usually come out now. 

12 minutes ago, LavenderLover said:

Hi! I submitted my application late Oct but I don't think my last reference was submitted until the first week of Dec. So it took about 2 months after I completed my app before I moved from "pre-screening" to "under review"

3 hours ago, MPHpls said:

Hey! I submitted it right before the deadline on dec 15th, maybe on the 14th or 13th. I emailed admissions and also provided my application number. They said "We expect to communicate the outcome of your application in April.". Does this mean that i'm on the waiting list? Cause I know rejections and acceptances for UofA's MPH program usually come out now. 

Hmm I'm not too sure tbh! From what I know responses usually come out by mid-March. If they told you April maybe they're just a bit delayed this year? Do you think they said April specifically for you or for the "general" you? lol the wait is driving me crazy ?

3 hours ago, wxr said:

Hi! I submitted my application late Oct but I don't think my last reference was submitted until the first week of Dec. So it took about 2 months after I completed my app before I moved from "pre-screening" to "under review"

Ohh okay I see! I submitted mine just before the end of November but I think my last reference submitted December 14th. Not sure if it's significant but I guess I'll just wait and see if anything changes:) thanks! 

20 minutes ago, LavenderLover said:

Hmm I'm not too sure tbh! From what I know responses usually come out by mid-March. If they told you April maybe they're just a bit delayed this year? Do you think they said April specifically for you or for the "general" you? lol the wait is driving me crazy ?

I'm not sure. But i felt like the "you" was me specifically since I gave my application number. LOL i have no idea :( oh well.. all we can do is wait in agony ahaha

13 hours ago, LavenderLover said:

Ohh okay I see! I submitted mine just before the end of November but I think my last reference submitted December 14th. Not sure if it's significant but I guess I'll just wait and see if anything changes:) thanks! 

Same with me. Do let us know if your status changes 

13 hours ago, moon.ari said:

I'm not sure. But i felt like the "you" was me specifically since I gave my application number. LOL i have no idea :( oh well.. all we can do is wait in agony ahaha

Well I hope so. But I think you is the generic you. I contacted them couple of weeks ago and they sent the same email 

13 hours ago, LavenderLover said:

Just now, Shwemih said:

Well I hope so. But I think you is the generic you. I contacted them couple of weeks ago and they sent the same email 

You're right! I followed up on their email and they said there is no waiting list yet and all applications are still under review. 

Hi has anyone who applied to uOttawa know where we are supposed to upload our letter of intent form? I have gotten my login credentials and even was able to submit the emails for my two references but where do I upload the letter? Thanks for any help! 

1 hour ago, jas98 said:

Hi has anyone who applied to uOttawa know where we are supposed to upload our letter of intent form? I have gotten my login credentials and even was able to submit the emails for my two references but where do I upload the letter? Thanks for any help! 

When you log into uoZone, there is a section on your right side that says "Key Applications". Under this, you will find "Upload Admission Documents". You should be able to upload your documents there. 

9 hours ago, cheesecakelover said:

When you log into uoZone, there is a section on your right side that says "Key Applications". Under this, you will find "Upload Admission Documents". You should be able to upload your documents there. 

Found it! Thank you so much. Do you know if it is required to upload a transcript ourselves too, or has it already been requested by OUAC and included in our application fee? 

Edited by jas98

13 hours ago, jas98 said:

Found it! Thank you so much. Do you know if it is required to upload a transcript ourselves too, or has it already been requested by OUAC and included in our application fee? 

No problem! And I'm quite sure we have to upload the transcripts ourselves (I uploaded my unofficial transcript myself).  

Hi guys

What do you think my chances are of getting into the health promo stream for dalla lana?

- 4.0 final GPA (undergrad in social sciences related discipline)

- 3.7 cGPA

- 1 year work experience (some relevant, most public sector)

- *no research experience - this is what I'm really worried about

Just now, 1m26c4u said:

Hi guys

What do you think my chances are of getting into the health promo stream for dalla lana?

- 3.7 cGPA

oh i also have a lot of volunteer experience (from uni) and i started a public health club at school as well 

3 hours ago, 1m26c4u said:

Hi guys

- 3.7 cGPA

3 hours ago, 1m26c4u said:

oh i also have a lot of volunteer experience (from uni) and i started a public health club at school as well 

Your stats look really good but its difficult to determine anyone's chances of getting an admission to a program solely based on this. I think when the admissions committee looks at hundreds of applicants, many who have similar GPA's and volunteer work, they most likely rely on an applicant's letter of intent. This piece of document is what will make each applicant unique and will help them determine who is a good fit for the program. So I'm sorry I personally can't give any feedback on your chances of acceptance, but all we can do is hope for the best! Only a few more weeks till we start hearing back from the universities, and until then hold tight! All the best :)

21 minutes ago, cheesecakelover said:

Your stats look really good but its difficult to determine anyone's chances of getting an admission to a program solely based on this. I think when the admissions committee looks at hundreds of applicants, many who have similar GPA's and volunteer work, they most likely rely on an applicant's letter of intent. This piece of document is what will make each applicant unique and will help them determine who is a good fit for the program. So I'm sorry I personally can't give any feedback on your chances of acceptance, but all we can do is hope for the best! Only a few more weeks till we start hearing back from the universities, and until then hold tight! All the best :)

for sure you're completely right. thank you for your feedback though. I think I didn't realize how much I wanted to get in until I realized I may be faced with a rejection letter soon. just wanted to calm my anxiety a bit with any feedback. thanks again!

5 minutes ago, 1m26c4u said:

for sure you're completely right. thank you for your feedback though. I think I didn't realize how much I wanted to get in until I realized I may be faced with a rejection letter soon. just wanted to calm my anxiety a bit with any feedback. thanks again!

Not a problem and don't worry, you are definitely not alone. I had a dream last night telling me that I should mentally and emotionally prepare myself for rejections because the date of decisions is coming closer lol! Try to be positive, have faith in yourself, and don't lose hope :) 

Hi all, I'm new to these forums (and the application process in general) and I'm wondering how competitive some of these programs are?

For reference, I only applied to Brock (I was looking for an online program with a practicum that's only one year to fit my future career plans and Brock was the only one that checked all the boxes) and I was wondering how my chances are?

Academics wise, I graduated with a BSc in Kin (year 3/4 GPA of 3.81 & 3.97)

Profession wise, I'm currently working for the Public Health Agency of Canada & have few years of combined experience working (admin) and volunteering in hospitals. I've also worked as a personal trainer for a few years + some other physiotherapy volunteering (my healthcare professional reference was from a physiotherapist) & community stuff but idk if this is really relevant to public health.

Curious as to what everyone thinks, am I probably ok or should I also apply to another program as a backup just in case?