MPH 2021 Canada

hey guys hope your well. prospective international student here looking at MPH programs in canada. unsure of which as yet since some have requirements (such as stats) which werent part of my professional degree and there is now not enough time to complete a course in stats.

i had a question regarding application dates. the applications we will submit during this time frame will be for September 2021 admission right? do all the universities in canada (specifically the MPH program) start at this time? just wondering if any issues may come about when applying to multiple universities in regards to acceptance if they start at different times?

Hi Everyone, 

I am hoping to apply to MPH programs for Fall 2021 admissions. I wanted to come on here to seek advice/comfort from those going through the same processes as well as previously successful applicants. I am currently struggling with whether or not I should apply for 2021 admissions, or wait another year to strengthen my background as I fear I am not a competitive applicant...

The Schools that I am considering applying to are Guelph, University of Alberta, Queens and McGill however am open to any program so long as it fits my interests. I would like a program with a practicum component rather than a thesis requirement. 

A little about me...

I am about to enter my fourth year BASc Public Health at Laurier University, my overall GPA for my first three years of study is 11.5 (Laurier bases their GPA on a 12 point scale, if this were to be converted I believe it would be around a 3.9).

I have previous experience from high school and first year working as an admin assistance in rehabilitation clinics (chiro, physio, massage therapy, naturopath). This is where my career interests shifted from a medical career to a more public health field, as I began seeing there was more to health than a bio-medical approach. However I'm not sure this would still be considered relevant experience. 

In addition, I have very recent, and limited, volunteer experience at a health centre working as a general greeter as well as at a Salvation Army food bank helping with food orders. 

I don't have any other professional work experience or research experience other than class assignments (biostats labs, lit reviews, general research papers). 

I fear that it is too late to seek further volunteer experience seeing as many applications open in September.

Any advice? 

On 7/28/2020 at 11:08 AM, aspiringMPH said:

Hi Everyone, 

I am hoping to apply to MPH programs for Fall 2021 admissions. I wanted to come on here to seek advice/comfort from those going through the same processes as well as previously successful applicants. I am currently struggling with whether or not I should apply for 2021 admissions, or wait another year to strengthen my background as I fear I am not a competitive applicant...

The Schools that I am considering applying to are Guelph, University of Alberta, Queens and McGill however am open to any program so long as it fits my interests. I would like a program with a practicum component rather than a thesis requirement. 

A little about me...

I am about to enter my fourth year BASc Public Health at Laurier University, my overall GPA for my first three years of study is 11.5 (Laurier bases their GPA on a 12 point scale, if this were to be converted I believe it would be around a 3.9).

I have previous experience from high school and first year working as an admin assistance in rehabilitation clinics (chiro, physio, massage therapy, naturopath). This is where my career interests shifted from a medical career to a more public health field, as I began seeing there was more to health than a bio-medical approach. However I'm not sure this would still be considered relevant experience. 

In addition, I have very recent, and limited, volunteer experience at a health centre working as a general greeter as well as at a Salvation Army food bank helping with food orders. 

I don't have any other professional work experience or research experience other than class assignments (biostats labs, lit reviews, general research papers). 

I fear that it is too late to seek further volunteer experience seeing as many applications open in September.

Any advice? 

From my experience, it does not hurt to apply. I recently got accepted into uOttawa MPH (applied last minute) and I surprisingly got in! It is also not too late to continue working on your application. The main thing is to spin your experience in a direction that appears related to public health or how it has helped develop your passion for public health. If you ever want to talk about it, send me a message! I could also send you my application if that helps writing yours. I read a couple applications from friends and it really helped shape how I wrote mine and what to really focus on.

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 6:17 AM, Gradthenmed said:

From my experience, it does not hurt to apply. I recently got accepted into uOttawa MPH (applied last minute) and I surprisingly got in! It is also not too late to continue working on your application. The main thing is to spin your experience in a direction that appears related to public health or how it has helped develop your passion for public health. If you ever want to talk about it, send me a message! I could also send you my application if that helps writing yours. I read a couple applications from friends and it really helped shape how I wrote mine and what to really focus on.

Hi All!

New to gradcafe, but am loving what I'm seeing so far!  I'm looking into MPH programs admissions 2021 and am just beginning to start the bones of a LOI.  So far planning on applying to UBC and SFU... but now starting to consider some schools in Ontario since I wouldn't mind the adventure of a change in scenery.

Any chance you'd be willing ton share a copy of your successful application with me as well, I'm having a hard time not second guessing everything I write and if I am on the right track.

Thanks so much!

On 7/30/2020 at 9:17 AM, Gradthenmed said:

Hello! I am also applying to MPH/MSc programs for September 2021, and I haven't applied to graduate programs before or have friends who have applied. Would it be possible if you could also share your application ( or whatever you feel comfortable sharing) with me as well! I would just like an idea how to structure my application, and what to focus on! much appreciated :) 

Hello everyone;

Thank you for posting this topic , I'm planning to apply for MPH fall 2021, I have a lot of questions in my mind, and I'm so worried that I'm not competitive enough!

I hope anyone from the current students of MPH programs would help!

1- I'm Permanent Resident in Canada , but I was graduated from university out of Canada , in this case I'm considered Domestic or International applicant?

2- How to write good letter of intent ?

3- I want to ask someone if My C.V would allow me to got accepted for MPH in any Canadian University?!

Thanks 

On 8/3/2020 at 2:35 PM, devika143 said:

Hello! I am also applying to MPH/MSc programs for September 2021, and I haven't applied to graduate programs before or have friends who have applied. Would it be possible if you could also share your application ( or whatever you feel comfortable sharing) with me as well! I would just like an idea how to structure my application, and what to focus on! much appreciated :) 

Hi!

Send me a private message with your email and I will be happy to help!

Hi everyone! I'm taking the thesis-based route and will be applying to MSc programs this Fall. The schools I'm thinking of applying to are: U of A, U of C, SFU,  maybe UWaterloo, maybe UBC.

Like others on this thread, I don't know anyone who has applied to an MPH or MSc and am sorta lost lol. Would really appreciate any tips  on how to word things like "research interests" (for example, should I stay broad or really get specific?) on the letter of intent and CV. I have decent research experience (RA for a couple labs and carried out independent studies) but my grades for first 2ish years were not good at all and because I'm applying before I graduate undergrad, some courses of the "bad years" will be counted towards my application GPA and bring down my overall GPA.  Also how do you reach out to a potential supervisor? Is it advised to email them your CV and unofficial transcript? Because of the bad grades on my transcript, I'm worried a supervisor will think I'm not a good enough applicant and not even reply back. Thanks in advance :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, 

I am looking to apply this fall for the 2021 session and I am currently looking at uOttawa, UBC and possibly UAlberta with a 'public health policy' -type specialization in both uOttawa and Alberta. 

If you have any application tips for any of the schools, I will deeply appreciate it.

Thank you.

Hi,

I am an international student with Canadian undergrad in Environmental studies. My current GPA is 3.9 out of 4 but I do not have any working experience. I am planning to apply for public health in McMaster, Waterloo, UBC and Western. I also have taken two statistic courses and both scored over 90. I am really worried since I do not have valuable work or research experience. Do I get a chance in any of the school I mentioned above?

I would really appreciate tips from people who accepted in previous years. Thank you! 

Edited by angelazy

Hi everyone!
I was accepted to the MPH program at UBC this year and will be starting in the coming week. I also applied to USask, SFU and UVic last year and was accepted to all of them. I found last years thread to be very helpful so I want to offer what limited experience and information I have if any of you have any questions! Please ask!

One common question I will answer in advance is: "Here is my GPA, extracurriculars and employment background... do you think I will get in?" I cannot answer any of those with much confidence this different programs look for slightly different applicant types and even within a program, the backgrounds of each person varies a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, 

I am planing to apply for MPH epidemiology programs for 2021. I meet all the requirements except I have limited research experience. Could anyone suggest how can I get more research experience. 

Due to COVID-19 I am very limited to where I can apply for research experience.

Thank You in advance!

On 9/15/2020 at 9:57 AM, Zainny said:

Hey everyone, 

I am planing to apply for MPH epidemiology programs for 2021. I meet all the requirements except I have limited research experience. Could anyone suggest how can I get more research experience. 

Due to COVID-19 I am very limited to where I can apply for research experience.

Thank You in advance!

You don't necessarily need extensive research experience to have a competitive application if you make up for it with other qualifications.
For example, I happened to have very little in the way of experience in the field of public health but I have an M.Sc. so I made up for it with a bunch of research experience.

Hope this helps!

Hi everyone!

I've been working on my LOIs/Personal Statements this summer for entry in 2021. I'm in my last year of my health science undergrad and plan to apply to UToronto (MPH Health Promotion), UofA (MPH Health Promotion), and UBC (MPH). My #1 choice right now is UToronto based on how they described their Health Promotion program -- it seems very unique. 

I've noticed a lot of people applying to McGill here, but as I'm more interested in the health policy/promotion side the program details at McGill didn't peak my interest. Is there a reason why McGill is so popular for public health?

On 9/16/2020 at 2:25 PM, Braki said:

You don't necessarily need extensive research experience to have a competitive application if you make up for it with other qualifications.
For example, I happened to have very little in the way of experience in the field of public health but I have an M.Sc. so I made up for it with a bunch of research experience.

Hope this helps!

Thank you!

On 9/16/2020 at 8:31 PM, moonjar said:

Hi everyone!

I've been working on my LOIs/Personal Statements this summer for entry in 2021. I'm in my last year of my health science undergrad and plan to apply to UToronto (MPH Health Promotion), UofA (MPH Health Promotion), and UBC (MPH). My #1 choice right now is UToronto based on how they described their Health Promotion program -- it seems very unique. 

I've noticed a lot of people applying to McGill here, but as I'm more interested in the health policy/promotion side the program details at McGill didn't peak my interest. Is there a reason why McGill is so popular for public health?

I applied to mcgill and also Toronto. I’m interested in health policy. I don’t think mcgill has many promotion courses but I (and a few friends who have applied) did so because it’s has more statistics but also a policy stream. Some courses felt more practical than health promotion for me but not too epi research 

also reputation, and cheap cheap city looool (If it’s in person next year)

Hello everybody! I am looking for advice regarding  universities I should apply to for Masters in Public Health. I am extremely keen but I have a relatively low GPA: 3.04 with 3.2 in my final 2 years from a top 20 university in USA. Also, I have decent work experience. Not amazing but decent.

I have been looking at UAlberta, UofT, and UBC so far. I am extremely unsure about which other universities I should apply to. Please help. 

Another question I have is scholarships. I am an international student, so would scholarships be a possibility?

Thank you in advance!

On 7/4/2020 at 4:03 PM, Aiza said:

So I have no chance of getting in? If you don’t mind sharing where did you do your bachelors from and your percentage?

Aiza, your marks are graded on a different scale than Canadian students. You need to contact the schools individually to know what your average converts too.

hope this helps! 

1 hour ago, ss2798 said:

Hello everybody! I am looking for advice regarding  universities I should apply to for Masters in Public Health. I am extremely keen but I have a relatively low GPA: 3.04 with 3.2 in my final 2 years from a top 20 university in USA. Also, I have decent work experience. Not amazing but decent.

I have been looking at UAlberta, UofT, and UBC so far. I am extremely unsure about which other universities I should apply to. Please help. 

Another question I have is scholarships. I am an international student, so would scholarships be a possibility?

Thank you in advance!

Hi there, 

canadian schools seldom care about where you completed your undergrad, my advice to you is to apply early (increases your chances of acceptance) and have a lot of extracurriculars for your personal statement! 

hope this helps!

On 9/25/2020 at 12:07 AM, RMSK said:

Aiza, your marks are graded on a different scale than Canadian students. You need to contact the schools individually to know what your average converts too.

hope this helps! 

Heyy!

Thank you for the response. Yes I did contact some of the universities but I think all of them do it differently. 
If you don’t mind can you share your profile with me 

Thank youu,

Aiza

On 9/16/2020 at 2:25 PM, Braki said:

Hope this helps!

Hey there, 

I am an international student with Canadian undergrad in Environmental studies. My cumulative GPA is 3.9 out of 4(GPA 4.0 out of the last 10 units), but I have very limited work experience(4 months volunteering experience as community health educator assistant and 4 months work experience as marketing assistant in a healthcare corporation). I also have taken two statistic courses and both scored over 90. I am planning to apply for McMaster, Waterloo, UBC, Queen and Western's public health. 

I am really worried since I do not have a lot of valuable work or research experience, and the professors who are willing to write reference letters for me do not know me very well, I was just wondering if you know weather schools value recommendation letters a lot?

Thank you!

1 hour ago, angelazy said:

Hey there, 

I am an international student with Canadian undergrad in Environmental studies. My cumulative GPA is 3.9 out of 4(GPA 4.0 out of the last 10 units), but I have very limited work experience(4 months volunteering experience as community health educator assistant and 4 months work experience as marketing assistant in a healthcare corporation). I also have taken two statistic courses and both scored over 90. I am planning to apply for McMaster, Waterloo, UBC, Queen and Western's public health. 

I am really worried since I do not have a lot of valuable work or research experience, and the professors who are willing to write reference letters for me do not know me very well, I was just wondering if you know weather schools value recommendation letters a lot?

Thank you!

Hello,

I would say that if you get your supervisors from your community health educator assistant and/or marketing assistant jobs to give you references, and complement that with one more from someone who knows you well in a professional or academic capacity (doesn't necessarily have to be in public health) you'll be just fine. Your grades are excellent but I would really focus on whatever experience you have in your letter of intent and just let the transcripts do the talking for you with regards to your GPA.

Hope that helps!

13 hours ago, Braki said:

Hello,

I would say that if you get your supervisors from your community health educator assistant and/or marketing assistant jobs to give you references, and complement that with one more from someone who knows you well in a professional or academic capacity (doesn't necessarily have to be in public health) you'll be just fine. Your grades are excellent but I would really focus on whatever experience you have in your letter of intent and just let the transcripts do the talking for you with regards to your GPA.

Hope that helps!

Thank you so much for the tips, I really appreciate it! ❤️