MPH 2021 Canada

Just now, Excel725 said:

Oh okay! Do you know if there was a limit for the CV? 

I don't think they've set a page limit for the CV, it should be okay if yours is within reasonable length and contains whatever elements that are required to be present as the department specified.

On 1/22/2021 at 5:55 PM, cheesecakelover said:

I totally feel you! I'm hoping some universities will start to announce decisions by mid-late Feb. If not, then early March for sure. The wait is killing me ?

I feel the same !! Finished submitting all my apps last week (earliest app I submitted was mid-November) and the waiting game is sooo difficult lol. I know some schools that I applied to won't be sending out decisions til May. This will (not) be fun ?

On 1/23/2021 at 11:37 PM, LindaZhou said:

Also anyone applied to McMaster before the deadline? Did u receive the confirmational email? There seems to be a system delay to the system

A few weeks ago they sent an email saying there were some technical issues and if you didn't get a confirmation email after paying the application fee, that you should email them with your receipt and let them know the issue you're having. They also said that if you submitted your app on a weekend, that you'd likely receive the confirmation email on the next business day. I submitted mine on a weekday and didn't receive the confirmation email so I contacted them. I received the confirmation email about two days after (not sure if this was due to a delay, or if they sent it to me manually). Hope this helps!

Hi everyone,

Current MPH student here. From what I can remember of my experience applying last year, most schools didn't start accepting people until mid-March at the earliest. I was accepted to 4 programs and got my first on March 20 (UBC) and didn't get my last (SFU) until May. Many who were waitlisted didn't get notified until sometimes June. I realize it's a very long and anxiety-ridden time to be waiting for but be assured they will come!

23 hours ago, Braki said:

Hi everyone,

Current MPH student here. From what I can remember of my experience applying last year, most schools didn't start accepting people until mid-March at the earliest. I was accepted to 4 programs and got my first on March 20 (UBC) and didn't get my last (SFU) until May. Many who were waitlisted didn't get notified until sometimes June. I realize it's a very long and anxiety-ridden time to be waiting for but be assured they will come!

Wow! Definitely a long wait. I am anxious from now and it is only January. I have applied to U of T, Queens, Western, Waterloo, and Brock. Did you apply to any of those? If yes, when is the first time you heard back?

34 minutes ago, MPHfall2021 said:

Wow! Definitely a long wait. I am anxious from now and it is only January. I have applied to U of T, Queens, Western, Waterloo, and Brock. Did you apply to any of those? If yes, when is the first time you heard back?

Sorry I'm from out west so I applied to only western schools (UBC, SFU, UVic and USask). I can't recall when the schools you applied for sent their letters out. I would recommend taking a peek at MPH Canada thread from last year to see where those schools come up.

4 minutes ago, Excel725 said:

Same!!! Which schools and streams did you apply to? 

I applied to:

SFU, U of Alberta (policy), McGill (policy), Western, Toronto (health promotion), and Ottawa (global health). The last two were panic applications lol. 

How about you?

19 minutes ago, cheesecakelover said:

I applied to:

SFU, U of Alberta (policy), McGill (policy), Western, Toronto (health promotion), and Ottawa (global health). The last two were panic applications lol. 

How about you?

Nice! I applied to UofT (Epi), Mac, Guelph, Queen's, UOttawa, Western, and Waterloo! :) Good luck to everyone applying rn!  

On 7/7/2020 at 1:32 PM, Whereamilol said:

Can confirm - ish :)  hahahaa.  I'm starting McGill MScph in Fall 2020, but I was accepted to UofT too. I had a supervisor at mcgill in the department who told me that most successful applicants for the MScph apply with a vision of working in practice-based public health more often than research. But I dont fully think UofTs health promo "limits your options in epi", if you take enough epi-focused electives.  I did however choose mcgill because its a little less of a dichotomy and more rounded than toronto's programs MPH in epi vs health promo. 

This is so discouraging ? i recently applied with a 3.74. Bsc at Mcgill in a ecological determinants of health (3.76 last two years) 

i’ve done 2 research projects and worked in market research for 2 years (not related to public health ) 

i specified in my application that i wanted to go into research and now im regretting it so bad 

50 minutes ago, Rachelle99 said:

This is so discouraging ? i recently applied with a 3.74. Bsc at Mcgill in a ecological determinants of health (3.76 last two years) 

i’ve done 2 research projects and worked in market research for 2 years (not related to public health ) 

i specified in my application that i wanted to go into research and now im regretting it so bad 

Noo!!! I apologize, no need to be discouraged.. Lots of people in the program have more of an interest in research. The majority are geared towards public health practice, but there are people who prefer epidemiology but didn't want to do a thesis MSc, people who research health systems, research in health disparities and equitable provision, and more.  Like any public health degree, it's such an eclectic crowd, and you can always do a research based practicum! 

38 minutes ago, Whereamilol said:

Noo!!! I apologize, no need to be discouraged.. Lots of people in the program have more of an interest in research. The majority are geared towards public health practice, but there are people who prefer epidemiology but didn't want to do a thesis MSc, people who research health systems, research in health disparities and equitable provision, and more.  Like any public health degree, it's such an eclectic crowd, and you can always do a research based practicum! 

Thank you so much ! i think the stress is making me overthink everything at this point 

On 1/28/2021 at 10:37 AM, Excel725 said:

To all of my fellow UofT undergrads, did you order eTranscripts (since paper transcript delivery has been suspended due to Covid-19). 

Yo what’s up! I ordered an eTranscript for Queen’s MPH. As my unofficial transcript downloaded from acorn is not accepted lmao

Edited by LindaZhou

1 minute ago, LindaZhou said:

Yo what’s up! I ordered an eTranscript for Queen’s MPH. As my unofficial transcript downloaded from acorn is not accepted lmao

Heyyy! So i contacted Queen's MPH department and they need the electronic official transcript to be sent to their email grad.studies@queensu.ca for it to be accepted btw! 

Hey everyone, hope everyone's application has gone well! 

I had a question regarding the MPH application for Queen's program. Under the application process, it asks about relevant skills and abilities under the resume portion. How have others gone about formatting this? Any help would be appreciated as I was expecting them to just require a CV/Resume that is uploaded.

Thanks!