MSW FALL 2020 - COVID

IvySWCu

Hello Future Social Workers!

Hope all are well & healthy. Times are  uncertain, as many of us prepare our moves and lives for grad school. I wanted to start a thread where we could all brainstorm, vent, share and discuss whether or not we will be pursuing a masters or not this fall.

How is everyone feeling? Has anyone heard back on whether their program will be online or not? Is anyone in favor of an online-program? Are you guys worried about field placement options? Do you guys think if classes will be online, we can qualify for lower tuition cost?

Please share any thoughts, would love to hear from other candidates. 

Hey ! Thank you so much for starting this because I have been flipping out !! I have heard back that my program (BC) intends on starting in the Fall on campus, and I already have a field placement and will continue with my degree whether it's online or not but my worry just has to do with whether or not I have to move, because they say its going to be on campus now but I am just thinking if they change the program from on campus to online very late in the summer and that throws off my housing plans but I am excited to start my degree , I want to get out into the field and start my career so I feel ready to handle online classes if it comes to that, I just hope its not that way lol

I'm going to WashU and have decided to do the fall semester online. hopefully it can be in person eventually! but I dont think this will clear up completely in the next 2 years and I'm not willing to wait. I will live with my family during the fall so it will be great to save money.

I was super excited to apply to Rutgers, but I'm getting nervous now. They pushed the Fall deadline from May to June, and now it is July 1st. 

I'm waiting on my reference letters, and they're taking their time. I'm afraid that I will apply and all the spots will be taken. I would hate to rewrite my SOP. It's silly, but that's my biggest worry. 

I wish they would let us know which program is specifically still looking for students (online, traditional, etc). Ahh!

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, acro22 said:

BC just announced their fall program

is going to be online. So disappointed. 

I was literally coming on here to say the same exact thing ! I don't know to feel about it... like at first I was fully open and accepting to the idea of online but now that it's official, I am bummed out. It's so close to starting, I don't think I even want to consider the option of deferring.

7 minutes ago, MSWSTRESS said:

Will you still start this Fall or defer ?

I’m not sure yet. I was about to sign an apartment lease and have an internship set. But it’s an awful lot of money for a semester of online classes. 

Just now, acro22 said:

I’m not sure yet. I was about to sign an apartment lease and have an internship set. But it’s an awful lot of money for a semester of online classes. 

Yeah, I want more information on how the internships are going to look like, and I hope they give that information out soon because I was setting up to move by early August. This just threw me for a complete loop now I feel like I can't focus on anything else right now lol August is far, yet so close, so I feel like I need to make a decision immediately but at the same time, I don't think I want to defer, I really want to get started and I'm hoping its just online for the Fall !

9 hours ago, MSWSTRESS said:

Yeah, I want more information on how the internships are going to look like, and I hope they give that information out soon because I was setting up to move by early August. This just threw me for a complete loop now I feel like I can't focus on anything else right now lol August is far, yet so close, so I feel like I need to make a decision immediately but at the same time, I don't think I want to defer, I really want to get started and I'm hoping its just online for the Fall !

Same here. Would rather not put it off a year. The email did make it feel a little like we are second class citizens at a first class price tag the way it said classroom space is at a premium. 

14 hours ago, acro22 said:

Same here. Would rather not put it off a year. The email did make it feel a little like we are second class citizens at a first class price tag the way it said classroom space is at a premium. 

Yeah, I took the day to come to terms with and honestly as long as I can get my education and get the proper learning that I need to do my job properly and efficiently,  it being online for now doesn't bug me as much lol I'm just going to treat it as an in person class, get up and do my normal schedule, find a quiet space to work and hope for the best lol

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all! Sorry, I didn't see this thread before posting mine. I'm in the second year of my MSW program at Pitt and we haven't heard anything from the school of social work regarding fall in two months. I'm gearing up to send an email to the program director today but I wanted to get a sense of what other schools of social work are doing/how people are feeling about the situation before I do so, if possible.`

I'm a first year coming into UW MSW program. They basically sent out a questionare asking us if we prefer online classes or in person classes to get a feel for what the demand is so that they can try and accomodate everyone. (for instance they have two in person classes for 155, but the questionare showed that more students wanted to do it online, they would use that info to adjust the class style)  They told us that most likely they are aiming at two classes being online, two in person and also giving students the choice to be online completely if they choose ( this includes field placement.) I know a few who are going to do fall completely online and stay home and most likely move mid-fall for winter quarter since they emphasized that Fall is guaranteed online if we wanted it but Winter not so much. They will go back in person for all classes AS SOON as they hear its safe to do so.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/23/2020 at 1:44 PM, Gelibutter said:

I'm a first year coming into UW MSW program. They basically sent out a questionare asking us if we prefer online classes or in person classes to get a feel for what the demand is so that they can try and accomodate everyone. (for instance they have two in person classes for 155, but the questionare showed that more students wanted to do it online, they would use that info to adjust the class style)  They told us that most likely they are aiming at two classes being online, two in person and also giving students the choice to be online completely if they choose ( this includes field placement.) I know a few who are going to do fall completely online and stay home and most likely move mid-fall for winter quarter since they emphasized that Fall is guaranteed online if we wanted it but Winter not so much. They will go back in person for all classes AS SOON as they hear its safe to do so.

Hey, sorry for the late response, but this is so interesting! We got a survey from the university but not from the SSW specifically. Have there been any updates since then? I know a lot of schools are changing their strategies now that things are looking so bleak. ?