Biostats PhD Profile Evaluation - What's Realistic?

Hi, I only recently started looking into Biostats PhD programs and was hoping to get a little more clarity on the strength of my profile.

Undergrad Institution: Northwestern

Major: Mathematics (with departmental honors) and Statistics

Type of Student: Domestic white male

GPA: 3.65

GRE: Still studying but just assume V: 165+ and Q: 165+ since that's how I'm scoring on practice tests. 

Related Math Courses:  Calculus 1/2 (B+, B), Linear Algebra (B+), Optimization (B), Probability and Stochastic Processes Sequence (A-, A, A-), Combinatorics and Discrete Math (A), Graph Theory (A-), Qualitative Differential Equations (A), Real Analysis Sequence (B+, B+, B), Abstract Algebra Sequence (B+, A-, B-), and Independent Study (A, A, A).

Related Stats Courses: Statistical Methods Sequence (A, A-), Regression Analysis (A), Survey Sampling (A), Statistical Computing (A), Human Rights Stats (A), Binary Response Data (A), and Analysis of Sports Data (A-).

Plus some physics, business/finance, and a lot of humanities classes. From this you can see my major GPA for math is ~3.54 and major GPA for stats is ~3.93. Also, this might be confusing, but don't pay too much attention to the calc and linear algebra grades. It was in a really specific rigorous program specific to NU. I have A's in calc and linear algebra when I took in high school at the local university I could also probably submit a transcript for.

Experience/Other: Not much formal research experience but I did write a senior thesis in math, so I can have my advisor at least write a "research potential" recommendation. I've been working as an analyst in the private sector for the past couple years, but realized recently I want to be doing more rigorous policy-oriented and prosocial work with data and statistics, hence why I'm looking at PhD Biostats programs.

I know my grades aren't amazing and I'm lacking some research experience. However, I'm hoping that the rigor of the classes I've taken and test scores can make up for some of that. Plus my grades do show steady improvement throughout undergrad. Also,  I feel like a masters might not be as worth it since I'd mostly be retaking classes (but maybe I'm wrong).

Overall, I'm just looking for some clarity on the strength of my profile and which programs I should be targeting. Are Johns Hopkins, UChicago, and University of Washington pipe dreams? What about UCLA and Emory? Should I bother taking the math subject test? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

Edited by LacroixBoix

I don't think JHU/UW are realistic options. UChicago doesn't really have biostatistics and their statistics PhD program is one of the most theoretical ones in country, so I would also put that in the unrealistic category.  I think UCLA/Emory are good target schools and I would add more around there (like Iowa, Vanderbilt, Duke, Pitt), and some lower options and maybe a reach or two.  Your stats grades are really good, but your math grades are more important.  Don't bother with the subject test - it is not used except for theoretical, not-biostat programs, so it would be a waste. 

9 hours ago, bayessays said:

I don't think JHU/UW are realistic options. UChicago doesn't really have biostatistics and their statistics PhD program is one of the most theoretical ones in country, so I would also put that in the unrealistic category.  I think UCLA/Emory are good target schools and I would add more around there (like Iowa, Vanderbilt, Duke, Pitt), and some lower options and maybe a reach or two.  Your stats grades are really good, but your math grades are more important.  Don't bother with the subject test - it is not used except for theoretical, not-biostat programs, so it would be a waste. 

Thanks, for the context. In your opinion, what would be some schools that are reaches but not totally unrealistic? And what are some examples of lower/safety-ish schools for my profile?

I agree that UW is unrealistic. JHU could be considered a "far reach". I think you could get into UNC / Michigan as a couple target / lower reach schools.

Your profile is peculiar because while most people in these programs have better grades, you have a deeper math background than most applicants at those schools. Also, Northwestern is a prestigious school, so that helps. For that reason, I think you have a pretty good shot.

On an unrelated note, LaCroix is awesome.

Agreed 100% with everything above. Honestly, you probably don't have to apply to schools lower than the ones I listed, but I'd apply to a lot of schools in that range from Michigan to Pitt/Vandy/etc to broaden your chances.  I don't want to discourage you from applying to higher ranked places as I think there are a lot of appealing aspects to your profile and you'll have some good options.