Film Studies PhD Applicants 2020

crunchyfallleaves

Hi all,

Not a lot going on in terms of film studies discussion, and I know it's early, but I'm interested in sharing information before outcomes (so that hopefully those outcomes themselves will be better). I've been disheartened with university websites, which really don't give much sense of a program's culture or a department climate, nor do they always spell out funding package information or departmental theoretical approaches. Additionally, I don't know a lot about what all of these cities are like.

I'm considering the following programs:

1. University of Pittsburgh
  2. UC Berkeley
  3. University of Toronto
  4. Northwestern
  5. Wisconsin
  6. UCLA
  7. USC
  8. University of Washington
  9. UChicago
  10. Concordia
  11. Brown MCM

If you are a current/former students of these programs/just happen to have engaged with them, I'd love to hear from you. 

Also: Does anyone know anything about the University of Oregon English with a Structured Emphasis in Film Studies program? / Eugene in general? Is this worth looking seriously at?

Overall, I hope we can find a bit of a community here together to make applications less isolating than they already are!

• 5 months later...

I have a BA in Cinema Studies and an MA in Media Management. I applied to these PhD programs:

1. UC Berkeley

2. Yale

3. NYU

4. USC

5. University of Washington

6. University of Santa Barbara 

Good luck to all!

I know it's premature, but has anyone heard back yet? Even for an interview. Based on the past few years, it seems that schools have varying timeframes for notifying applicants. And with COVID, I'm unsure if it'll take longer or if it has no affect. I'm going to assume most of us will start to hear back towards the end of January.

Edited by jkv152

Haven't heard anything. In my mind I had Jan. 15 as the date after which we could start to hear at any point...which is nerve-wracking because that's tomorrow. It's an insane feeling that, at any moment over the next two months, we will hear hugely consequential news. Like, you could be asleep, in class, shopping for groceries. Wack. R.e. covid, my suspicion is that things may be a bit delayed, so I'll try to keep telling myself that over the next few weeks.

Has anyone applied to and heard back anything from UC Berkeley's Film and Media Studies and Northwestern's Screen Cultures program?

Edited by ShivD