Overseas Clinical Psych Degree

psychgirl1010

Hi :) 

I am an American citizen from California with my BA in psychology. I currently live in Melbourne and am considering applying to the Uni of Melbourne for the 4 year combined MA/PhD program in clinical psych, and also the DClinPsych programs in the UK. I really want to study abroad for my grad program, but also don't know where I want to settle long term. I love the idea of studying abroad for grad, but want to make sure my degree isn't useless should I return to California to practice as a psychologist.

I contacted the California state board and many said my degree wouldn't be useless overseas, but they really couldn't tell until I send in my transcripts. At the best case, hopefully I would just have to take some additional courses for my qualifications to be recognized.

I wasn't able to get a direct answer, so wondering if any of you lovely folks have any helpful input? :) 

image.gif

Edited by tdkarma

I’ve done some research on this and from what I’ve read, it’s pretty difficult and sometimes impossible to become licensed with a foreign degree. It’s generally recommended to do your graduate training in the country where you want to work. The only exception is Canada since the programs are very similar and the APA and CPA have a mutual recognition agreement acknowledging their equivalence. 

This question has been asked a few times over the years on StudentDoctorNetwork, and the general consensus is that it is very likely that a degree from another country outside of Canada will not be licenseable in the United States. It is likely you would have to do a whole other doctorate rather than just a few classes (most PhD and PsyD programs will also not allow you to take classes as a non-matriculated student). 

I'm from the UK and I am applying to do my Clinical Ph.D. in the US - I think it is generally much better training and leads to more opportunities. If you do DClinPsy in the UK you will be able to practice as a clinical psychologist in the UK however it may be difficult to get a job as a Clinical Psychologist in the NHS (the main career option following training) because the NHS is extremely under funded and will usually not sponsor visas for non-UK citizens. I think if you train in the US and want to move to the UK to work in research your job options in academia will be much greater and the pay is better

Edited by psychapplicant21

The only way I think you split the difference is pay $$$ to do a 1-2 years master's program abroad; I know some people who did this in the UK, for example. They then came back to the United States and pursued a PhD in clinical psych. 

If you are 1000000% sure you want to be an academic and not do clinical work, it doesn't really matter, though US schools tend to be well recognized both within the US and around the globe, whereas degrees from other nations may not be as readily accepted in the US academic hiring sphere. If you think even 1% that you want to practice therapy/assessment, you will want to pursue a degree in the United States or Canada, as the process of getting an international degree credentialed in the USA is such a pain in the behind, if you can get credentialed at all. An example -- someone I know from a country in South America was literally faculty at her institution there (post-masters degree), and when she came to the USA to study she had to start all over again and get a new MA/PHD, do internship, post-doc, etc. 

It's easier to leave the USA after your PhD vs. the other way around. 

2 hours ago, Clinapp2017 said:

The only way I think you split the difference is pay $$$ to do a 1-2 years master's program abroad; I know some people who did this in the UK, for example. They then came back to the United States and pursued a PhD in clinical psych. 

If you are 1000000% sure you want to be an academic and not do clinical work, it doesn't really matter, though US schools tend to be well recognized both within the US and around the globe, whereas degrees from other nations may not be as readily accepted in the US academic hiring sphere. If you think even 1% that you want to practice therapy/assessment, you will want to pursue a degree in the United States or Canada, as the process of getting an international degree credentialed in the USA is such a pain in the behind, if you can get credentialed at all. An example -- someone I know from a country in South America was literally faculty at her institution there (post-masters degree), and when she came to the USA to study she had to start all over again and get a new MA/PHD, do internship, post-doc, etc. 

It's easier to leave the USA after your PhD vs. the other way around. 

I agree with this, I think the US is all-round better training/more opportunities and provides you with a skillset that will be valuable and make you stand out in other countries if you decide to get a career elsewhere.

Edited by psychapplicant21

• 5 weeks later...

I'm an Australian applying to the US for clin psych PhDs and have done my research on this topic for those very reasons - as far as I can tell, what everyone is saying is correct - it is much harder to get licensed in the US with a foreign degree than the other way around. This is partly why I am applying - because I want to live and work overseas, and I know a US PhD is my best bet for being able to move around in my working career. If I stayed here and did the combined Masters/PhD I'd have much more trouble if I wanted to work in the US/UK later on. So definitely something to keep in mind if you don't plan on staying in Aus long term! 

Anybody done any research or know of anyone whose had experience with a MSc Conversion program. I've started looking at a few programs within the UK. Given my background and experiences, I believe this could be beneficial to bridging the gap for someone without a Bachelors degree in Psych and/or lab experience. 

However, I would want to be sure that it would be seen as reputable and valid when applying for Counseling Psych PhD programs within the US. 

2 hours ago, jmm0548 said:

Anybody done any research or know of anyone whose had experience with a MSc Conversion program. I've started looking at a few programs within the UK. Given my background and experiences, I believe this could be beneficial to bridging the gap for someone without a Bachelors degree in Psych and/or lab experience. 

However, I would want to be sure that it would be seen as reputable and valid when applying for Counseling Psych PhD programs within the US. 

I completed a master's conversion program but not in the UK as a non-psych major. I would recommend that you plan backwards by researching counseling psych PhD programs you are interested in. AFAIK some counseling psych programs prefer/require applicants who have done a master's with counseling courses, which are not covered in a conversion. This may guide your decision in whether a conversion program suits you best or if you need to do additional coursework to fulfill those pre-requisite course requirements.

It is also important to try and get a poster done or your work there published as presentations/publications are also important components in PhD admissions. Good luck!