Lack of Research Experience for PhD/PsyD Apps

purplepuffle

I'm currently in a clinical MA program. I'm realizing that I'd like to do a clinical pysch doctorate next. However, I have literally no research experience. I did an unrelated BA and then ended up switching to psych as a career. I had originally planned to stop at my MA and just start working. However, this past year I really became passionate about going deeper into the field getting more training. I want to do a PhD program over a PsyD program (cost and research focus are big factors for that). I want to do trauma related work and research. As I've been doing more intake assessment work and reading a lot of these research papers, I'm feeling really passionate about being able to contribute to the field as a WoC and bringing new culturally relevant work to help progress the field. I'm not sure what my options are and how I can boost my application this fall so that I don't get written off for PhD programs automatically. I know that I probably will, but I'm wondering if there are any avenues I can take to get research experience and maybe apply again next fall (although it may not be feasible for me to put off starting a program due)? I do recognize that I'm very late to the game and that my ambivalence towards research (and juggling my workload) in the past year definitely hindered me from taking research opportunities. I'd love to hear any advice or personal experiences with this. TIA!

It's great that you've found this passion! In case you haven't seen there are a lot of resources in regards to a clinical PhD:
List of Faculty/Postdoc Mentors for Black (and URM) Scientists 
Mitch’s Uncensored Advice for Applying to Graduate School in Clinical Psychology
Although I can't say much about my own personal experiences I highly recommend taking a look at the list of faculty and contacting them for advice on your specific situation. There's no harm (well other than financial) in applying this cycle and also looking for a research coordinator position (academic twitter may be good in this situation too). If you get rejected you can use this year to garner more experience for the next cycle. Best of luck!

I think it's awesome that you want to pursue a PhD! I'm starting my first year in a PhD program doing trauma-related work, and it has definitely been rewarding thus far.

With that said, I think you should be realistic about your chances of admittance into a PhD program with no prior research experience. Research is SO important when applying to these programs--actually, I don't think I am alone is saying that research experience is probably the most important part of your application. I applied to many trauma-focused programs last cycle with lots of experience in the field (posters, presentations, 3+ years as RA/RC), and even I only received one interview.

If money isn't a problem, I would say go for it this cycle. But applications are pretty expensive. I would definitely be on the lookout for a coordinator position that will help you with research output (schools really like to see pubs, posters, presentations). I think that will significantly raise your chances!

1 hour ago, Aghhhhh said:

I think it's awesome that you want to pursue a PhD! I'm starting my first year in a PhD program doing trauma-related work, and it has definitely been rewarding thus far.

With that said, I think you should be realistic about your chances of admittance into a PhD program with no prior research experience. Research is SO important when applying to these programs--actually, I don't think I am alone is saying that research experience is probably the most important part of your application. I applied to many trauma-focused programs last cycle with lots of experience in the field (posters, presentations, 3+ years as RA/RC), and even I only received one interview.

If money isn't a problem, I would say go for it this cycle. But applications are pretty expensive. I would definitely be on the lookout for a coordinator position that will help you with research output (schools really like to see pubs, posters, presentations). I think that will significantly raise your chances!

Definitely second this! While applying can be beneficial to get some experience with the process, having no research experience might cause an automatic rejection. I think your time would be better spent looking for a research position and making connections in the research realm. The applicant pool is getting more and more competitive each cycle, so the more in-depth research experience you have, the better. 

• 1 month later...

Thank you everyone! You've really given me a lot of things to think about. I think I'll still apply this round but maybe, be a little more restricted on the amount of programs I apply to this round. Hopefully I do hear back from some programs and get the chance to at least interview, as that would be good exposure to the process and I can start to refine and refocus my next steps after graduating in the spring!

• 2 weeks later...