Early graduation: okay for application for Masters?

IsDo

Question

Hello everyone! Greetings from India.

I have a doubt regarding Masters requirements for a long time. Do universities (globally; say the US or UK) accept early graduates (i.e. those who graduated in 3.5 years), or do they strictly expect 4-year Bachelors students (from India)?

I tried to find answers on the web but to no avail.

I'd appreciate any information about the same!

6 answers to this question

1 hour ago, IsDo said:

Hello everyone! Greetings from India.

I have a doubt regarding Masters requirements for a long time. Do universities (globally; say the US or UK) accept early graduates (i.e. those who graduated in 3.5 years), or do they strictly expect 4-year Bachelors students (from India)?

I tried to find answers on the web but to no avail.

I'd appreciate any information about the same!

Hi, I am not from India but my degree has a duration of three years. I was allowed to apply for Fall 2020 in the US. I hope this helps! 

I mean, the standard duration of a Bachelor's is 3 years in the UK, I can't imagine universities there having a problem with 3.5 years...

I feel finishing college early is seen as neutral to slightly positive in the US (as in, it took you less time to do the same amount of work, so you must be a studious and efficient student). The only downside is if you didn't take as many elective courses that would otherwise be relevant for the field you're trying to get into, or if you could have done a thesis research project but chose not to, etc.

On 8/10/2020 at 11:55 AM, Anna D.C. said:

Hi, I am not from India but my degree has a duration of three years. I was allowed to apply for Fall 2020 in the US. I hope this helps! 

Yes, it does- thank you so much for your reply! ?

On 8/11/2020 at 10:29 PM, DRMF said:

I mean, the standard duration of a Bachelor's is 3 years in the UK, I can't imagine universities there having a problem with 3.5 years...

I feel finishing college early is seen as neutral to slightly positive in the US (as in, it took you less time to do the same amount of work, so you must be a studious and efficient student). The only downside is if you didn't take as many elective courses that would otherwise be relevant for the field you're trying to get into, or if you could have done a thesis research project but chose not to, etc.

This is really helpful! Thank you so much for your reply! ?

On 8/10/2020 at 7:56 PM, PsyDuck90 said:

As long as you graduated, I don't think the length of time matters. I have US colleagues in my program (also US) who graduated in 3 years instead of the standard 4. 

Yup, my institute recently confirmed this. Thank you so much for your reply! ?