MFA Directing 2021

ctbck

2 minutes ago, ctbck said:

Yes! 

I am a finalist so I've spent the past 24 hours freaking out and trying to wrap my head around how to prepare. Time to head to past year's threads and figure out how to direct two actors I've never met via Zoom. 

Congrats! Was there an interview before or just BOOM, here you go?

I am curious about how schools are doing the remaining interview processes. On campus interviews and whatnot are no longer an option!

Did you do URTAs? Any word from them?

Just now, LittleViking131 said:

Congrats! Was there an interview before or just BOOM, here you go?

I am curious about how schools are doing the remaining interview processes. On campus interviews and whatnot are no longer an option!

Did you do URTAs? Any word from them?

No interview! Just boom. Which is cool and also stressful. They had me choose from one of two days and I'm holding a block of time but will get more info closer to the day of... Probably going to be an hour split between the directing exercise and interview in Zoom. 

I didn't apply to URTAs this year but have friends who did and have heard from some schools. I know UT Austin has sent out info on second interviews. I'm pretty sure everyone is waiting on CMU still. 

1 hour ago, cf99 said:

Can confirm, UT Austin has contacted finalists. BU and UC Irvine as well!

I've heard nothing since my interview from UCLA, CalArts, and South Carolina. Have heard nothing since applying from CMU, Columbia, and UCSD. 

Are you one of the finalists for those 3? Congrats!

On 1/23/2021 at 2:01 PM, ctbck said:

Are you one of the finalists for those 3? Congrats!

Thanks! I'm very excited.

On 1/24/2021 at 10:59 AM, LittleViking131 said:

Or were UCAL, CalArts, and UofSC who you met with at URTAs?

Not sure what you mean. Yes, I interviewed with those 3 at URTA. Have not heard anything from them. 

UCI just invited me to their second callback -- what would have been a campus visit in non-covid times. They're letting us sit in on digital classes and rehearsals. All schools should be doing this! 

Is anyone else starting to overthink simple answers to questions they might get asked in interviews?
Like, I have a few different things that I outlined being interested in using my MFA for, and I'm very clear about it in my SOP, but I feel like when it comes time to say what my goals are out loud I'm going to just ramble or overcomplicate it.

20 hours ago, ctbck said:

Is anyone else starting to overthink simple answers to questions they might get asked in interviews?
Like, I have a few different things that I outlined being interested in using my MFA for, and I'm very clear about it in my SOP, but I feel like when it comes time to say what my goals are out loud I'm going to just ramble or overcomplicate it.

I have a similar-but-different problem. I have a few main points for all the typical questions I get asked, but the interviews are always short and I'm always kind of amped up, so I either forget to mention a few points or I rush through them all without explaining properly. 

Anyone hear anything from UCLA, CMU, UCSD, Columbia, South Carolina, or CalArts? 

45 minutes ago, cf99 said:

I have a similar-but-different problem. I have a few main points for all the typical questions I get asked, but the interviews are always short and I'm always kind of amped up, so I either forget to mention a few points or I rush through them all without explaining properly. 

Anyone hear anything from UCLA, CMU, UCSD, Columbia, South Carolina, or CalArts? 

I'm making bulleted lists, too!! 

Have you thought about taking notes to reference if you need to glance down during a Zoom call? I feel like if I have notes as a "security blanket" I may not even need to look down at them... But I may use them to reference when asking questions during the interview.

Did anyone else on here apply to Bama this year? They're my top choice due to proximity to home (among other things), wondering if anyone has heard anything yet!

After lurking for the past week I'm really bummed I didn't find this at the beginning of my application prep!

Did anyone else apply to smaller state school funded programs? I.E. Montana and the like?

4 hours ago, Payytrike said:

After lurking for the past week I'm really bummed I didn't find this at the beginning of my application prep!

Did anyone else apply to smaller state school funded programs? I.E. Montana and the like?

I did! 

7 hours ago, LittleViking131 said:

I did! 

Awesome! I spoke with MT over the summer to get a feel for the program and it seems really exciting especially if you're more inclined to teaching, similar to Baylor & U-Memphis.

Where else did you apply?

Just now, Payytrike said:

Awesome! I spoke with MT over the summer to get a feel for the program and it seems really exciting especially if you're more inclined to teaching, similar to Baylor & U-Memphis.

Where else did you apply?

Yeah!

Mankato, Baylor, & Montana.

I also applied to U Mass again. I applied last year & got a Finalist position. Reinterviewd.

You?

Just now, LittleViking131 said:

Yeah!

Mankato, Baylor, & Montana.

I also applied to U Mass again. I applied last year & got a Finalist position. Reinterviewd.

You?

Baylor, Montana, U-Memphis, U of Idaho, CMU, TX State and U-Mass. 

You had an interview for U-Mass this year already?

I also Applied to UT - Austin & DePaul, but didn't get an interview for them.

Just now, Payytrike said:

Baylor, Montana, U-Memphis, U of Idaho, CMU, TX State and U-Mass. 

You had an interview for U-Mass this year already?

I also Applied to UT - Austin & DePaul, but didn't get an interview for them.

Cool!

I’ve heard good things about Idaho & Memphis. I met Idaho’s head years ago at a conference.

I did, yes. 1.5/2ish weeks ago. I was a finalist last year.

2 minutes ago, LittleViking131 said:

Cool!

I’ve heard good things about Idaho & Memphis. I met Idaho’s head years ago at a conference.

I did, yes. 1.5/2ish weeks ago. I was a finalist last year.

Idaho faculty is nice, my undergrad program had a lot of connections to them (at least when I was there)

Awesome to hear!