MFA Directing 2021

ctbck

On 11/16/2020 at 7:25 PM, cf99 said:

Submitted my URTA app today. Decided to cast a slightly wider net and apply to some of the state schools with better funding packages and see what happens. Anyone else doing URTAs?

I'm not doing URTAs since I need to stay local, but best of luck! How are they working this year? I'm assuming everything is going to be via Zoom where I applied...

Yeah, it's all on Zoom for URTAs as well. I'm sure we're all feeling like it's a weird year to apply, but you have to admit it's definitely the cheapest year to apply with not having to travel. 

Submitted my CMU app today! 

Beyond being cheaper I'm glad that it's looking like if I get in I'll not be missing out on much as theaters rebuild and play catch-up.

CMU's program has a new head this year right? 

I think you're right about not missing much. BUT, I have to wonder about the value of attending if productions are still not possible. Hard to know at this point what next fall will look like. 

Yes, I believe Caden Manson was the previous head and he left for Sarah Lawrence. Replaced by Kim Wield. Caden seems incredible and I considered applying to Sarah Lawrence -- it's a very interesting program format. But as far as I can tell it's unfunded, so unlikely I'll pull the trigger. 

Just for morale sake I'll keep updating -- put in my Columbia app today. Aside from my URTA school letters I need to write, the only other apps I think I'll be putting in are UCSD and Brooklyn College (they pulled out of URTAs this year for some reason).

I've got an app in to DePaul this year and that's looking like it just because of life stuff and needing to stay local. Just waiting on my 3rd letter of rec and that will be officially submitted and just waiting to hear about finalists in January. Wish Northwestern was accepting apps too, but I've been impressed with DePaul's program. Love the opportunity to direct 5 productions. 

Just reread last year's thread. I feel like by this time last year there was much more chatter, but maybe the big spikes are more during and after December?

With several programs like Yale and Northwestern off the table this year, how much do you all think that's going to affect who applies / how competitive the programs that are accepting students are?

On 12/1/2020 at 9:05 PM, Rbjrbj said:

Hey all!! Slowly but surely submitting my applications. What a weird year it’s been!! How are we feeling about apps so far?

I feel good about my one app. My final letter of rec was sent in last night, so I of course had lots of dreams about interviewing and the process. Glad that it's done with, but definitely trying to gather at much info as possible about the potential interview and directing a scene portion of DePaul's application process since directing actors I don't know on Zoom seems... Challenging!

4 hours ago, cf99 said:

Oh shit, do you think they're going to do director interviews over zoom like that? I hadn't considered that possibility. Not looking forward to that.

That's my impression based on how their website currently reads, but I haven't asked. Enough is happening with vaccines that maybe they would consider in-person with distancing and masks, but since they're still remote learning next quarter I'm not sure how that would work. I guess we'll see, but at least the scene from FAR AWAY to direct isn't super movement based. 

On 9/10/2020 at 2:15 PM, herecomesthemuffinman said:

Do ya'll know anything about the program at University of Alabama? I'm kinda thinking my program isn't the right fit for me and I'm from GA so UA is close to family. I'm thinking of applying there for next year. 

I applied to Bama! Their head of directing was super helpful when I emailed him with questions, and their program seems promising to me! They do only take one MFA Directing student per year, so with transferring I'd def reach out and ask how they would handle that! They seem like a strong up and coming program to me!

On 11/29/2020 at 10:44 AM, ctbck said:

Just reread last year's thread. I feel like by this time last year there was much more chatter, but maybe the big spikes are more during and after December?

With several programs like Yale and Northwestern off the table this year, how much do you all think that's going to affect who applies / how competitive the programs that are accepting students are?

Im wondering this too! Chatter seems way down, so my thoughts are a lot less people are applying. Crazy!

36 minutes ago, Rbjrbj said:

Im wondering this too! Chatter seems way down, so my thoughts are a lot less people are applying. Crazy!

DePaul has also really ramped up its Instagram posts about their program with the deadline in like 8 days. I have no idea how I'd get an app in in such a short time. It took so long for my letters of rec!!

If you already were applying to other schools, it doesn't take much to ask your references to send the letter to one more school. 

Numbers being down might work out well for those of us who apply (especially if covid is under control by fall 2021). But I wonder if numbers are way down, could more programs decide to not take a class like NU, Yale, and Brown? 

I'm still cranking through these URTA LOIs. Thought it would be easier than my other materials, but somehow they're taking me forever. 

2 hours ago, cf99 said:

If you already were applying to other schools, it doesn't take much to ask your references to send the letter to one more school. 

Numbers being down might work out well for those of us who apply (especially if covid is under control by fall 2021). But I wonder if numbers are way down, could more programs decide to not take a class like NU, Yale, and Brown? 

I'm still cranking through these URTA LOIs. Thought it would be easier than my other materials, but somehow they're taking me forever. 

Oh duh that's totally true about people with existing letters of rec.

I actually talked to someone with more info at DePaul and that said that apps are actually up for DePaul. 

I wonder if that's because more people from undergrad are applying straight out because of COVID uncertainties or if people are applying more to DePaul than last year because places like Yale and Northwestern aren't accepting but they've made up their mind to apply anyway. Or if they've just done a good job getting the word out about their program!

Either way I'm getting antsy. Ready for it to be mid January already lol. 

Finished my URTA letters today. Wound up applying to 8 schools through the URTAs: UT Austin, FSU, UCLA, UC Irvine, Boston, Ohio, Indiana, and TSU. It was tempting to put in for East15 and CalArts but I knew I wouldn't be able to attend because of $$. Also got an email today from the URTAs letting me know that the deadline to submit was extended through Monday. Possibly a low turnout sign? I am still planning to apply to UCSD and Brooklyn.

Not sure if it's annoying, but I keep posting every update I have just because I got so much out of reading threads from previous years. It's shockingly hard to find info about this stuff outside of admissions websites.

@jimminy_cricket I feel like you can get away with reading anything as long as you find a way to relate it to the moment. 

1 hour ago, cf99 said:

Finished my URTA letters today. Wound up applying to 8 schools through the URTAs: UT Austin, FSU, UCLA, UC Irvine, Boston, Ohio, Indiana, and TSU. It was tempting to put in for East15 and CalArts but I knew I wouldn't be able to attend because of $$. Also got an email today from the URTAs letting me know that the deadline to submit was extended through Monday. Possibly a low turnout sign? I am still planning to apply to UCSD and Brooklyn.

Not sure if it's annoying, but I keep posting every update I have just because I got so much out of reading threads from previous years. It's shockingly hard to find info about this stuff outside of admissions websites.

@jimminy_cricket I feel like you can get away with reading anything as long as you find a way to relate it to the moment. 

I can't tell what's happening! What do you think a normal year is like in terms of apps?

19 hours ago, cf99 said:

I don't think it's annoying! I appreciate it 'cuz I feel like it's been me posting most of the time LOL! I wish I had more to share but since my gameplan was to apply to NU and DePaul and only DePaul was accepting applications, I feel like I'm not going to be a particularly helpful barometer this year. 

Considering the virus, how much do you think going to school will change how you're currently living your life? I feel like things are looking up for second semester not even being too affected, but it's weird to think about leaving my job to go to school when I won't have worked there in-person or seen anyone in-person for over a year at that point.

10 hours ago, jimminy_cricket said:

The 15th was a big deadline for a lot of schools

How are we feeling folks

The waiting has officially begun for me!

Does anyone know how many MFA Directors Columbia University takes?

23 hours ago, ctbck said:

The waiting has officially begun for me!

Does anyone know how many MFA Directors Columbia University takes?

They take SIX DIRECTORS A YEAR. 

Would love to study there but the lack of funding is terrible. I applied but unless I get some magical scholarship I'm not sure I'll be able accept. 

On 12/12/2020 at 11:59 AM, ctbck said:

I don't think it's annoying! I appreciate it 'cuz I feel like it's been me posting most of the time LOL! I wish I had more to share but since my gameplan was to apply to NU and DePaul and only DePaul was accepting applications, I feel like I'm not going to be a particularly helpful barometer this year. 

Considering the virus, how much do you think going to school will change how you're currently living your life? I feel like things are looking up for second semester not even being too affected, but it's weird to think about leaving my job to go to school when I won't have worked there in-person or seen anyone in-person for over a year at that point.

Hey CT,

I graduated from MFA Directing program at The Theatre School DePaul and LOVED it.  I cannot speak highly enough about the whole process, ethos and faculty.  In particular the Head of Directing there is Awesome and remains a friend to this day.  Having said that its been a while. If you wanted any basic info about the program I'd be glad to tell you my thoughts for whatever they're worth.  The Application process has changed since I was there so I can only comment on how it was for me.  Still, I'm happy to talk about my time there.  

Good luck all!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all! I'm working on wrapping up my application to a school now and had a question for everyone. Have the programs you've applied to asked for a personal statement? Any advice on this (length of statement, what to cover) would be helpful. Just want to make sure I'm not sending them a novel if they just want a one-pager. For my first draft, I tried to focus on questions I asked myself: What do I bring to the table as a director? What areas do I wish to improve in? If anybody has a suggestion for what else might be worth talking about, I'd love to hear it.

Good luck all!

Just hopping in to say hi!! This is my first year applying to multiple programs, and I am super nervous. Any advice? I have applied to Depaul, UT, Carnegie Mellon, UCLA, and UCSD.

Edited by curlyshow