MFA Directing 2021

ctbck

Yo everyone! What a wild year it's been already... Who's staying optimistic and applying to schools for the Fall of 2021? This'll be my first year applying and despite everything going on, I promised myself I'd dip my toes in the water this year and I'm sticking to that promise.

The good news is that the pandemic has allowed me to really focus on getting some of my materials prepped ahead of time. The bad news is that I've rewritten and rewritten and rewritten....and will probably do so again many times before I actually apply!

Are people applying this year? What do you even think the future of theatre will be? The future of education? Let's start the convo!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2020 at 7:41 AM, Choma said:

Adding this resource for anyone who intends to apply this year. https://www.creativewritingnews.com/statement-of-purpose-examples-2/  Good luck.

I've found the 4 tent poles this writer sets forth of The Window, The Briefcase, The Knock, and The Telescope to be really helpful for structuring my statement. I feel like I've written and rewritten a bunch, but the two programs I'm applying for both ask for information that naturally flows from those 4 guiding principles. 

Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for these resources! I'll be applying this year to both directing and playwriting MFA programs (I have yet to find a program that fully includes both, but I'm very much a theatre "creator," and trying to find the right fit.) I'm excited for the future of theatre and what kind of creativity could emerge out of the current challenges. It could mean that theatre as we know it changes forever (and that's potentially a very good thing)!

I'm looking to add to my list in terms of zeroing in on directing programs that focus on the creation of new work and/or devising. Any info is appreciated! (And only for programs with funding). 

On 9/6/2020 at 4:06 PM, Mel Rose said:

Thank you for these resources! I'll be applying this year to both directing and playwriting MFA programs (I have yet to find a program that fully includes both, but I'm very much a theatre "creator," and trying to find the right fit.) I'm excited for the future of theatre and what kind of creativity could emerge out of the current challenges. It could mean that theatre as we know it changes forever (and that's potentially a very good thing)!

I'm looking to add to my list in terms of zeroing in on directing programs that focus on the creation of new work and/or devising. Any info is appreciated! (And only for programs with funding). 

You might be interested in The New School. They look to be hybridizing an MFA around playwriting, directing, and acting. I swear I was served an ad about it but can't find much on their website other than this for now:

"The School is in the process of developing a new MFA aimed at transforming advanced performing arts training for dramatic artists."

If you head to their website you can see there's an email to reach out to. They weren't accepting applications for 20/21 school year. 

18 hours ago, LittleViking131 said:

Hello!

I am going to be applying again this year. I applied to a bunch of schools and did URTAs last year. Lots of interviews. Lots of on campus interviews. But alas, no luck.

Excited to get back into it!

Hooray! What programs are you thinking of applying to?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2020 at 3:15 PM, herecomesthemuffinman said:

Do ya'll know anything about the program at University of Alabama? I'm kinda thinking my program isn't the right fit for me and I'm from GA so UA is close to family. I'm thinking of applying there for next year. 

I've never heard of their program but looking at their website it doesn't look too bad. I'd have to compare it with your existing program but if it doesn't feel like a good fit, a switch might make sense. 

Northwestern apps are supposed to open this September but nothing yet. Nothing on their website saying that they're waiting until 2022 either, but supposedly that will be on their website if they decide to go that route. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all! I'm going to be applying for the first time this year. Thinking CMU, Northwestern, Columbia, and Boston. Yale and Brown would be on my list but they've both stated that there won't be a new class for 2021. 

Any US students looking at UK/Canadian/other European schools here? Having a hard time finding good info on international programs, specifically funding info. Any links or pointers appreciated! East 15 looks amazing but I don't think I could afford it.

Hey there @cf99! I'm only applying to local schools this year but depending on how November goes I might need to start researching Canadian schools too hahahaha....

This'll be my first year applying, too. Best of luck to you!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Y'all,

I am extremely on the fence about applying again this year....but I think I might as well try. I will likely apply to URTAS again and submit directly to UCLA and UT Austin. Then apply separately to Northwestern...maybe Carnegie Mellon too. 

From Northwestern: 

Due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, we have suspended recruitment for MFA programs in Acting, Directing, and Stage Design during academic year 2020-21. We will resume recruiting when it is safe and advisable to do so.

On 10/15/2020 at 3:41 PM, ctbck said:

From Northwestern: 

Due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, we have suspended recruitment for MFA programs in Acting, Directing, and Stage Design during academic year 2020-21. We will resume recruiting when it is safe and advisable to do so.

Damn, that's at least 3 prominent programs not accepting this year. Makes me second guess applying to schools further down on my list. Would feel conflicted accepting a program I feel lukewarm about if I never had the chance to even apply to NU, Brown, and Yale.

I'm also worried that we'll see other schools follow suit. Anyone see any other announcements like this?

Just now, cf99 said:

Damn, that's at least 3 prominent programs not accepting this year. Makes me second guess applying to schools further down on my list. Would feel conflicted accepting a program I feel lukewarm about if I never had the chance to even apply to NU, Brown, and Yale.

I'm also worried that we'll see other schools follow suit. Anyone see any other announcements like this?

Yeah, I definitely feel mixed but am only applying local this year anyway because of COVID in the first place.

I know CalArts, DePaul, and Juilliard (MFA Acting, no directing) are all moving forward with accepting for 2021 — they had a panel for interested applicants this past week. They're also all not funded programs; I think that forces NU and Brown's hands a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

How are we feeling? Antsy about the election? Tired of quarantining?

I feel like I've revised my SOP for what I hope to be the last time... 28 versions later. 

On 10/27/2020 at 7:35 PM, ctbck said:

How are we feeling? Antsy about the election? Tired of quarantining?

I feel like I've revised my SOP for what I hope to be the last time... 28 versions later. 

All of the above...It feels strange to be applying to grad schools and focusing on the future as the world crumbles around us. I feel like I'm in a Tarantino film. 

I'm also editing my SOP a ton. It's hard to balance between sounding interesting but not sounding crazy and bragging about yourself but not sounding egotistical.

Wanted to throw into the fodder that many MFA programs have changed over this year. Perhaps some will go back to what they were before but others may not.  Ask to talk with the first years in each program to get a sense of how priorities within each department have changed. I have heard from friends that these have not been transparent, especially during initial interviews. BU for example use to have a model in which directors could pitch the shows they would direct. Now they are pitching to their design team who will also pitch plays to them. The ensemble of designers and director select the play. 

14 hours ago, PlaysplaysplaysPlaysplays said:

Wanted to throw into the fodder that many MFA programs have changed over this year. Perhaps some will go back to what they were before but others may not.  Ask to talk with the first years in each program to get a sense of how priorities within each department have changed. I have heard from friends that these have not been transparent, especially during initial interviews. BU for example use to have a model in which directors could pitch the shows they would direct. Now they are pitching to their design team who will also pitch plays to them. The ensemble of designers and director select the play. 

That's great info. I know DePaul still has the directors pitch shows model but while things are digital, things are a bit more fluid in terms of whether the actor you want will really work on the project with you or not. That being said, the head of their program seems cautiously optimistic about in-person work for Spring 2022, which is when their first years' first projects are. Fall is more theory and analysis by design. 

On 10/29/2020 at 6:00 PM, PlaysplaysplaysPlaysplays said:

That's a bummer. The real appeal of BU (for me) is getting to direct many productions with a lot of leeway. Virtually all of your classes there are with undergrads.