MFA Directing 2021

ctbck

A few updates on my end:

- UT Austin - in the same boat as @MissSpentLife , alternate. They mentioned that there were 81 applicants and 9 semifinalists, of which I was one. 

- UC Irvine - they've put out offers. I was not offered a spot, but was told that I am the first alternate, and that I would receive an offer if either of their other two asks turn down. I was told that there were 60-something applicants this year. 

- Columbia - They did auditions over this past weekend apparently. I never heard anything from them. 

- Boston and CalArts have both said that they are not doing callbacks. I'm expecting offers to go out from both within the next week.

Through the grapevine, I've also heard that OU, FSU, and ASU have all put out requests.

Anyone hear anything from UCLA? Genuinely unsure if I should write them off or not. 

@ctbck - any update on DePaul for you?

2 hours ago, cf99 said:

A few updates on my end:

- UT Austin - in the same boat as @MissSpentLife , alternate. They mentioned that there were 81 applicants and 9 semifinalists, of which I was one. 

- UC Irvine - they've put out offers. I was not offered a spot, but was told that I am the first alternate, and that I would receive an offer if either of their other two asks turn down. I was told that there were 60-something applicants this year. 

- Columbia - They did auditions over this past weekend apparently. I never heard anything from them. 

- Boston and CalArts have both said that they are not doing callbacks. I'm expecting offers to go out from both within the next week.

Through the grapevine, I've also heard that OU, FSU, and ASU have all put out requests.

Anyone hear anything from UCLA? Genuinely unsure if I should write them off or not. 

@ctbck - any update on DePaul for you?

This is all great information, and the nerd in me loves knowing numbers of applicants. I wonder if that's more or less than normal due to COVID. 

Great to be an alternate... Hoping more good news in your future. 

My interview with DePaul is end of the month but this Saturday is the other day of interviews. So I still have some time to prep/worry/prep. 

Edited by ctbck

Update from U Mass.

Although it was said earlier that offers went out, they only interviewed 4 people - 2 accepted and 2 alternatives.

I am still waiting to hear back from some other non-URTA schools. When I applied last year, I did not get any no's from a bulk of schools despite the handbook saying they have to. I actually got some no's late spring, which I found odd.

CMU has either notified finalists or made offers not sure which or if they are doing things differently this year.  I was waitlisted again this year, but alas I am going to my choice B program which I am very grateful for, even though much is unknown with the pandemic.  @LittleViking131 yeah I hate that many of the schools don't send out no's until very late.  

3 hours ago, Lonelytraveller127 said:

CMU has either notified finalists or made offers not sure which or if they are doing things differently this year.  I was waitlisted again this year, but alas I am going to my choice B program which I am very grateful for, even though much is unknown with the pandemic.  @LittleViking131 yeah I hate that many of the schools don't send out no's until very late.  

Congrats! Where will you be attending in the Fall?

19 hours ago, Lonelytraveller127 said:

Congrats on getting in somewhere!

I am also currently waitlisted with CMU. 

21 hours ago, Lonelytraveller127 said:

CMU has not put out offers. I was invited to a campus visit/callback for the end of the month. 

17 hours ago, ctbck said:

Congrats! Where will you be attending in the Fall?

Thanks!!  I will be attending Edinburgh Napier in Scotland.  It's a newer MFA program and it sounds really great.  I am praying that things get better with the pandemic. 

4 minutes ago, Lonelytraveller127 said:

Thanks!!  I will be attending Edinburgh Napier in Scotland.  It's a newer MFA program and it sounds really great.  I am praying that things get better with the pandemic. 

Awesome & Congrats! I visited Edinburgh a few years ago, it's so beautiful. 

5 minutes ago, Payytrike said:

Awesome & Congrats! I visited Edinburgh a few years ago, it's so beautiful. 

Thank you!!  Yes it's so beautiful, I studied in the UK for awhile in my undergrad, but haven't been back since.  I am equally excited and terrified.  The program is a good fit for me, they have a playwriting MFA cohort that you work closely with and developing and directing new work is one of my main interests and they have an equal amount focused on Shakespeare too.  The two program heads are really great people.  I am taking a bit of a different route with getting my MFA abroad, but that's how I operate.  

I truly have no idea about these things but I am wondering why Status Updates of UT are not updated with rejections of admission if they have narrowed down to the 9 finalists and now are in final review? Why leave the rest of us hanging?  also a big CONGRATS to all who are in final interviews. How incredibly exciting! 

1 hour ago, EAK71 said:

I truly have no idea about these things but I am wondering why Status Updates of UT are not updated with rejections of admission if they have narrowed down to the 9 finalists and now are in final review? Why leave the rest of us hanging?  also a big CONGRATS to all who are in final interviews. How incredibly exciting! 

Possibly just a disconnect between the grad admissions office and the department. 

Hi there - been reading all of these helpful comments regarding MFA Directing applicants.  I thought it was about time to create a profile and jump in!  Has anyone here heard word yet from Baylor University regarding acceptance, interviews, etc.??  I believe they DO interview first and I haven't heard anything...but I know they were closed last week due to ice and snow in TX.  Thanks and nice to meet all of you - best of luck to everyone here!

7 hours ago, TexasRedhead said:

Hi there - been reading all of these helpful comments regarding MFA Directing applicants.  I thought it was about time to create a profile and jump in!  Has anyone here heard word yet from Baylor University regarding acceptance, interviews, etc.??  I believe they DO interview first and I haven't heard anything...but I know they were closed last week due to ice and snow in TX.  Thanks and nice to meet all of you - best of luck to everyone here!

They have reached out for interviews. But not sure if they reach out in waves or anything.

On 2/23/2021 at 9:55 PM, EAK71 said:

It might have to do with acceptance deadlines. Many schools give offers with the deadline of ‘we need to hear by X.’ So if the applicant declines, such as getting another offer, they move to alternatives. Some schools are more vocal than others.

11 hours ago, TexasRedhead said:

@Payytrike is correct. Baylor (and Montana) have interviews scheduled. The power issues caused a delayed.

Uni of South Dakota’s deadline is March 1st and interviews will commence shortly after.

Mankato has offers out.

Anyone else apply to University of Idaho? I just received my rejection from their program. 

They invited me to an informational session and asked me to follow up with some questions from that and then ghosted me until I received my rejection. Not upset I didn't interview, mostly confused about my experience and want to see if anyone else experienced similar.

3 minutes ago, ctbck said:

Tomorrow's my interview with DePaul! Nervous, excited, and feeling good about all my prep work. 

Here's a question: what have y'all been wearing for interviews?

Fuck yeah, you're going to do great! CMU callbacks are tomorrow too all day (starting at 7am for me since i'm west coast :( ).

I wore a suit jacket and shirt with no tie to URTAs, but it was so casual that I took the jacket off pretty quickly. I think the bar is pretty low when we're all sitting in our homes. I do think there's something to be said for getting at least a little dressed up though, just to get into the interview mindset.