Just how quantitative is Princeton's MPA program?

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to hone in on my final list of schools to apply to for fall 2021 and am wondering just how quantitative is Princeton's two-year MPA program? I graduated from a top college a few years ago, but haven't really done math since high school. I'm not a quant person, but I believe the rest of my application is strong. I got straight A's in high school math and if I had to guess will probably get low 160s on the quant section of my GRE. Essentially, I'm wondering how much I'd struggle with Princeton's quant-heavy program compared to other programs like HKS, SIPA, Goldman, or Stanford's Masters in International Policy (and relatedly how much my lack of quant matters, I guess, in the application process).

Thank you in advance, sincerely!

Our MPA has a quantitative core curriculum. As a result, we are looking for applicants to demonstrate their quantitative preparation. Some demonstrate this through undergraduate coursework in statistics, math or economics. Others show this through their professional pursuits. Each year, there are a number of applicants who did not have the chance to take quantitative coursework in college. Some didn’t know they needed to take foundational courses for policy school, while others did not have room in their course schedules. Whatever the reason, for those without the expected quantitative coursework, the GRE can serve as evidence of quantitative reasoning experience not otherwise apparent in the file. In some cases, there is no other evidence a student has the background in basic math that would allow them to get through the core curriculum. Without the GRE, we may not admit some students who could succeed in our MPA program. We more often use the GRE score to pull candidates into the class, not to “weed them out.”

From here:https://spia.princeton.edu/blogs/gre-requirements-degree

4 minutes ago, 2711383 said:

Our MPA has a quantitative core curriculum. As a result, we are looking for applicants to demonstrate their quantitative preparation. Some demonstrate this through undergraduate coursework in statistics, math or economics. Others show this through their professional pursuits. Each year, there are a number of applicants who did not have the chance to take quantitative coursework in college. Some didn’t know they needed to take foundational courses for policy school, while others did not have room in their course schedules. Whatever the reason, for those without the expected quantitative coursework, the GRE can serve as evidence of quantitative reasoning experience not otherwise apparent in the file. In some cases, there is no other evidence a student has the background in basic math that would allow them to get through the core curriculum. Without the GRE, we may not admit some students who could succeed in our MPA program. We more often use the GRE score to pull candidates into the class, not to “weed them out.”

From here:https://spia.princeton.edu/blogs/gre-requirements-degree

Thanks a bunch! I've read through the program's website and that's a great reminder, but I was just hoping to get a sense from some of the experts on here how people think this program compares to other top programs (quant-wise). Thanks very much!

The core curriculum requires calculus based micro and macro economics courses, as well as a quantitative methods course that covers probability theory. None of this requires by any means advanced math but you will be required to know basic calculus to succeed in these classes. Any other decent MPP/MPA worth anyone's time or money will cover calculus based economics. I know HKS, SIPA, and SAIS all have similar required economics and quantitative methods courses. 

When people say that Princeton is "quant heavy" it's because you have the option to take the economics or development tracks that will require you to apply more advanced quant methods, but as long as you're good at math and open to learning this stuff, it shouldn't be an issue. 

As far as how it'll affect you in the application process, the blog post I linked states that students are sometimes admitted without any quantitative coursework as long as they perform well in the quant portion of the GRE. Nobody outside of the admissions committee can give you any more information than that. 

Why are all these government programs so quantitative heavy ? I feel like how they’re portrayed I’m going into a physics or chem program. If you have a quantitative background (studied science here), do you still have to submit a GRE? Or is the GRE only for those with no quantitative course work for Princeton?

Edited by columbia09

5 hours ago, MPPhopeful2021 said:

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to hone in on my final list of schools to apply to for fall 2021 and am wondering just how quantitative is Princeton's two-year MPA program? I graduated from a top college a few years ago, but haven't really done math since high school. I'm not a quant person, but I believe the rest of my application is strong. I got straight A's in high school math and if I had to guess will probably get low 160s on the quant section of my GRE. Essentially, I'm wondering how much I'd struggle with Princeton's quant-heavy program compared to other programs like HKS, SIPA, Goldman, or Stanford's Masters in International Policy (and relatedly how much my lack of quant matters, I guess, in the application process).

Thank you in advance, sincerely!

Bottom line is that you got to be comfortable with doing Calculus based economic analysis (mostly derivatives). If quant is something that pains you, I recommend you consider less quant oriented programs because. I legitimately know people who either failed to graduate or had a late graduation due to struggles with quant at an MPP/MPA program. They simply didn't appreciate how quant intense the program was.

Yes, one of them was Princeton MPA student who somehow negotiated spending an extra semester in order to meeting quant graduation requirements. 

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

32 minutes ago, columbia09 said:

Why are all these government programs so quantitative heavy ? I feel like how they’re portrayed I’m going into a physics or chem program. If you have a quantitative background (studied science here), do you still have to submit a GRE? Or is the GRE only for those with no quantitative course work for Princeton?

I think you need to understand how they are quant heavy. They are quant heavy on data/economic analysis, which only really gets at on part of math. The reason is because in a more data centric world, in order to be fully competent in understanding the details of the policy formulation/performance side of the house (emphasis on policy... not politics), there is a strong argument for understanding analytical methods and processes.

Quant should also be understood in terms of two ways. Depth of quant and scope of quant. A program like NYU Wagner is not too deep and not that broad. My program at Georgetown McCourt, was moderately deep (we had to understand Calc principles, but not do Calc per se), but really intensely broad (5 mandatory quant based classes). A program like Chicago Harris is intensely deep, and moderately broad. Some programs at Johns Hopkins are intensely deep and intensely broad in terms of quant.

1 hour ago, columbia09 said:

The GRE is required of all applicants (if we're talking about the MPA, it seems to have been waived for the MPP this round). I think I need to reiterate that they're not "quantitatively heavy" and in no way comparable to a physics or chem, or even economics program. The differential calculus MPAs and MPPs use for their economics courses is literally first semester calculus. A lot of undergrad schools require you to take it regardless of your major because it's basic and part of a core curriculum. Freshmen skip it all the time because they already know it if they took IB or AP math.

If you have a quantitative background then I'm assuming you already took math courses all the way up to at least multivariable calculus? The quant stuff in these programs shouldn't be an issue if that's the case.

1 hour ago, 2711383 said:

The GRE is required of all applicants (if we're talking about the MPA, it seems to have been waived for the MPP this round). I think I need to reiterate that they're not "quantitatively heavy" and in no way comparable to a physics or chem, or even economics program. The differential calculus MPAs and MPPs use for their economics courses is literally first semester calculus. A lot of undergrad schools require you to take it regardless of your major because it's basic and part of a core curriculum. Freshmen skip it all the time because they already know it if they took IB or AP math.

If you have a quantitative background then I'm assuming you already took math courses all the way up to at least multivariable calculus? The quant stuff in these programs shouldn't be an issue if that's the case.

Yep !!!! And according to admissions, it will most likely stay like that