SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowship 2021-2022

Mrazy

I still can't like posts yet today (I liked a lot of them yesterday) otherwise likes would be flying around.

No pressure, but I made a Facebook group if anyone is interested in staying in touch, and doing what Milara suggested (academic job searching, tips and advice for ABDs, Postdocs, and early academics in general). Even just general support. Reading these messages while waiting for my results and again after I found out I wasn't funded really helped. 

If you're interested, the name of the group is Precarious Academics Unite. 

28 minutes ago, Mrazy said:

I still can't like posts yet today (I liked a lot of them yesterday) otherwise likes would be flying around.

No pressure, but I made a Facebook group if anyone is interested in staying in touch, and doing what Milara suggested (academic job searching, tips and advice for ABDs, Postdocs, and early academics in general). Even just general support. Reading these messages while waiting for my results and again after I found out I wasn't funded really helped. 

Thanks for doing this! See you there ❤️ 

25 minutes ago, DevsChick said:

Thanks for doing this! See you there ❤️ 

I will totally join that, @Mrazy, but also, apparently there are two Slacks to consider joining. One is called Future PIs and one is called New PIs (iirc). You join the Future PIs Slack by tweeting them (FuturePI_Slack) a link to your LinkedIn profile. I sent a request and will report back about what it is looking like when/if I get an invite. It was apparently started by biomed folks several years ago, but they want to expand the channel to all disciplines. No idea how successful they have been in doing so.

1 hour ago, Mrazy said:

I woke up to my results this morning. I didn't get the funding. Here are the statistics for 2B:

Challenge (20%): 4.64/6
Feasibility (30%): 4.24/6
Capability (50%): 5.03/6 
Total score: 4.72/6  Rank: 28/69

Applications: 69 Fellowships offered: 12 (20.3%) Fellowships not offered: 55 (79.7%) Score of last funded application: 5.02 

I am sorry you didn't get it....you were so close.

1 hour ago, Mrazy said:

and @milara would join but I don't have facebook or twitter.

I just sent out the emails to my supervisor, potential supervisor, and host institution contacts informing them I wasn't successful. What a kick in the pants haha. Time to get back to grading essays...

53 minutes ago, mustardseed said:

Does anyone know how the waitlist works? Is there a waitlist? 

I've been wondering exactly this and whether things have changed from previous years. 

Based on what I've seen, as recently as two years ago, there has been a waitlist and about 20% of applicants are put onto it. There are at least a couple of reasons for which applicants on the waitlist could be offered funding: (1) someone who was offered funding has rejected it (e.g., because they received a Banting, took up a more lucrative postdoc, or received a job), and (2) "Funding becomes available" (e.g., someone a year into a SSHRC postdoc fellowship receives a job, thus ending their SSHRC fellowship funding).

In the past, SSHRC has been rather ambiguous about how priority on the waitlist is decided. It seems like it's some sort of blend between committee and your score. This is just conjecture, but I get the sense that funding made available because of (1) stays within the same committee. Funding made available through (2)--I think--is sorted like this: First 8 spots go to the the highest ranked applicants in each committee who weren't offered funding with ties broken by individual scores. (Although I can imagine that maybe the tie-breaker is whichever committee had the marginally lowest acceptance rate.) Then the next 8 spots go to the next spot on each committee's list and so on. 

That's my best guess about what happens because in the past people have been ranked on the waitlist but in some cases lower scores received funding before higher scores. 

But, with everything going on with COVID, that whole structure may have changed. What worries me a touch is that in past years people have received a letter about being on the waitlist, but I've yet to see or hear anything about that. Granted, that might be the last thing they upload since not everyone seems to have received their notice of decision yet. I hope they wouldn't shortchange the PDF program at the expense of extending research funding and and existing fellowships. Anyway, I emailed SSHRC yesterday to find out what is the procedure. If I hear back anything useful--even confirmation that the waitlist exists--I'll post an update. 

6 minutes ago, Psy22 said:

I've been wondering exactly this and whether things have changed from previous years. 

Based on what I've seen, as recently as two years ago, there has been a waitlist and about 20% of applicants are put onto it. There are at least a couple of reasons for which applicants on the waitlist could be offered funding: (1) someone who was offered funding has rejected it (e.g., because they received a Banting, took up a more lucrative postdoc, or received a job), and (2) "Funding becomes available" (e.g., someone a year into a SSHRC postdoc fellowship receives a job, thus ending their SSHRC fellowship funding).

In the past, SSHRC has been rather ambiguous about how priority on the waitlist is decided. It seems like it's some sort of blend between committee and your score. This is just conjecture, but I get the sense that funding made available because of (1) stays within the same committee. Funding made available through (2)--I think--is sorted like this: First 8 spots go to the the highest ranked applicants in each committee who weren't offered funding with ties broken by individual scores. (Although I can imagine that maybe the tie-breaker is whichever committee had the marginally lowest acceptance rate.) Then the next 8 spots go to the next spot on each committee's list and so on. 

That's my best guess about what happens because in the past people have been ranked on the waitlist but in some cases lower scores received funding before higher scores. 

But, with everything going on with COVID, that whole structure may have changed. What worries me a touch is that in past years people have received a letter about being on the waitlist, but I've yet to see or hear anything about that. Granted, that might be the last thing they upload since not everyone seems to have received their notice of decision yet. I hope they wouldn't shortchange the PDF program at the expense of extending research funding and and existing fellowships. Anyway, I emailed SSHRC yesterday to find out what is the procedure. If I hear back anything useful--even confirmation that the waitlist exists--I'll post an update. 

Thank you so much, you are terrific! 

5 hours ago, DevsChick said:

This is sounding more positive than yesterday, which is great news! I could also potentially be interested. I'm securely sitting on the fence between being an academic and a practitioner and I'd really like to get down now. It turns out that fences are not comfortable places to sit. 

I feel I should make a joke about bisexuality, as we used to be called fence sitters, but the wittiness is not with me right now. 

Yes, I definitely am feeling more positive today. Still depressed but less than yesterday.

As for your dilemma... This tends to depend on the field you are in, but in some fields, people move back and forth between academia and industry all the time. We act like this is some huge major final decision we are making, but remember that it is never too late to change your mind. You are not committed to the choices you make forever.

First time poster here. I'm interested in connecting with people on the job market especially in areas related to disability, health policy, and socio-legal studies. I'm also interested in finding peer support on the changing job market at large. For the entirety of grad school I had negative impressions of the job market, but with COVID it appears to be even worse.

I was a first time applicant and I was not funded.

Committee 3, scored 5.03 overall, the last funded score as stated in an earlier post was 5.06. I ranked 31/119 and 24 applicants were funded. I am not holding my breath for a waitlist.

I was originally hopeful about my application. I held SSHRC during MA and PhD as well as other fellowships. I have multiple peer-reviewed publications under my belt. My referees also felt my proposal was strong. However, I have always doubted my "capability" because of my lengthy timeline towards degree due to some health disruptions. I also have a very interdisciplinary background that doesn't fit neatly into any capital D Discipline. My work is equally conceptual and empirical. My individual scores indicated I could work on feasibility, which I'll keep in mind going forward.

It is incredibly frustrating that I might have been funded in another year. At the same time, I have not yet defended and imagine those a year or two out have more qualifications. Are there competition statistics on scores from previous years outside of your personal knowledge from previous rejections?

Hello all! I got added to the Future PI Slack, so I'm here to report on the situation there.

As I suspected, it is still predominantly people in biomedical and biomedical adjacent fields. The moderator tells me that over the years there have been people from other disciplines off and on, but never a critical mass. I started a channel to discuss how we can make it a more welcoming place for people in other fields. People have been friendly and welcoming. There is definitely useful stuff on there -- channels focused on negotiating offers, exploring non-academic careers, being a parent while being a postdoc, wellness, writing (including something about checking in for accountability), etc.

My feeling is that it makes more sense to try to work with this community to broaden things, as they seem so far to be open to that, than to start our own Slack. And, as an interdisciplinary researcher, this goes double for me, as I would love a single Slack that can serve all of my needs.

Having said that, a network of Future PI Slacks may also be a good solution. I've seen something similar done on Discord, where they create a server template that can help kick start partner servers, and each server has a partners channel that lists the partner servers with invite links. 

To join the existing Future PI Slack, send a direct message on Twitter to FuturePI_Slack containing a link to your LinkedIn profile. If you don't use Twitter, message me on here and I can send you the moderator's email address.

@jungyun @DevsChick@Mrazy You all expressed interest in this, so I'm tagging you. @meowzers, I already messaged you with the email address to contact. :)

As promised, I'm sharing some information I've gathered regarding the waitlist after some back and forth emailing with SSHRC. I'm tagging @jungyun and @mustardseed since it may be of interest to you. I'm also putting this together for anyone in future years who tries to make sense of the SSHRC PDF waitlist as it seems to have evolved over the years and in people in the past hadn't shared much on how it works. 

As I mentioned in a previous post, there used to be a formal waitlist of 20% of applicants and those applicants received a formal letter stating their position on the waitlist. About 2 years ago, they got rid of that altogether, likely because the list gave a lot of students false hope.

Though there isn't a formal waitlist today, there is still a procedure SSHRC follows to forward funding offers when one of the applicants who received a funding offer turns it down (e.g., because of getting a tenure-track job, Banting, or more lucrative postdoc elsewhere). A few points I wanted to highlight:

1) SSHRC PDF funding stays within the competition. Previously, some people had speculated that the money originally allocated to SSHRC PDFs would be reallocated if original offers were declined. SSHRC has clarified that is not the case: "The funding for postdoctoral researchers is not diverted to other programs." There were 160 funding offers that were made and any that are declined will be advanced to the next ranking students. Which brings me to...

2) Funding does not (necessarily) stay within committees. SSHRC agent shared this about how available (e.g., declined) funding would be forwarded: "In the event that funding becomes available, offers will be made on the basis of the rank of each application in the competition overall." Previously, people had written that funding would stay within the same committee. That does not appear to be the case.

3) The (informal) waitlist rank is based on your final score. Regarding the ordering of applications when funding becomes available: "... an application’s rank in the competition is determined by their final scores." So, if you have a high score but not offer yet, there may still be a chance.

But what is a high score?

Based on what people have posted here, I've compiled the lowest scores funded per committee:

1: < 4.93 (I don't have the lowest funded score, but someone was funded with a 4.93)
2A: 4.82 
2B: 5.02
3: 5.06 
4A: 4.72 
4B: 5.09 
5: 5.04 
6: 4.92 

Interestingly, assuming this is all accurate info, I can deduce that I'm first in line on this list (scored a 5.08 in Committee 4B). I'll be happy to post updates if/when I hear from SSHRC. It may be helpful for others to do this as well and share their score to give others a sense as to whether offers are nearing their score. 

As for when those offers are extended: in the past it's seemed like these are sent out in bulk, rather than 1 at a time. Those 160 who were offered the award have 6 weeks to accept or decline it. So, I expect the first wave of "waitlist" offers to be sent out some time in the weeks following mid-April. For what it's worth, people had previously noted that SSHRC had told them that being in the top 5 or top 10 of the waitlist boded well for their chances of getting an offer and some people received them as late as mid-September.

That's all I have for now, hope someone finds this helpful!

2 hours ago, Psy22 said:

As promised, I'm sharing some information I've gathered regarding the waitlist after some back and forth emailing with SSHRC. I'm tagging @jungyun and @mustardseed since it may be of interest to you. I'm also putting this together for anyone in future years who tries to make sense of the SSHRC PDF waitlist as it seems to have evolved over the years and in people in the past hadn't shared much on how it works. 

As I mentioned in a previous post, there used to be a formal waitlist of 20% of applicants and those applicants received a formal letter stating their position on the waitlist. About 2 years ago, they got rid of that altogether, likely because the list gave a lot of students false hope.

Though there isn't a formal waitlist today, there is still a procedure SSHRC follows to forward funding offers when one of the applicants who received a funding offer turns it down (e.g., because of getting a tenure-track job, Banting, or more lucrative postdoc elsewhere). A few points I wanted to highlight:

1) SSHRC PDF funding stays within the competition. Previously, some people had speculated that the money originally allocated to SSHRC PDFs would be reallocated if original offers were declined. SSHRC has clarified that is not the case: "The funding for postdoctoral researchers is not diverted to other programs." There were 160 funding offers that were made and any that are declined will be advanced to the next ranking students. Which brings me to...

2) Funding does not (necessarily) stay within committees. SSHRC agent shared this about how available (e.g., declined) funding would be forwarded: "In the event that funding becomes available, offers will be made on the basis of the rank of each application in the competition overall." Previously, people had written that funding would stay within the same committee. That does not appear to be the case.

3) The (informal) waitlist rank is based on your final score. Regarding the ordering of applications when funding becomes available: "... an application’s rank in the competition is determined by their final scores." So, if you have a high score but not offer yet, there may still be a chance.

Based on what people have posted here, I've compiled the lowest scores funded per committee:

1: < 4.93 (I don't have the lowest funded score, but someone was funded with a 4.93)

Interestingly, assuming this is all accurate info, I can deduce that I'm first in line on this list (scored a 5.08 in Committee 4B). I'll be happy to post updates if/when I hear from SSHRC. It may be helpful for others to do this as well and share their score to give others a sense as to whether offers are nearing their score. 

As for when those offers are extended: in the past it's seemed like these are sent out in bulk, rather than 1 at a time. Those 160 who were offered the award have 6 weeks to accept or decline it. So, I expect the first wave of "waitlist" offers to be sent out some time in the weeks following mid-April. For what it's worth, people had previously noted that SSHRC had told them that being in the top 5 or top 10 of the waitlist boded well for their chances of getting an offer and some people received them as late as mid-September.

Thank you Psy22, this is excellent to know. To corroborate some of what you've said, I also emailed about the waitlist and was told:
1) there is no formal waitlist 2) I got the same quote stating "In the event that funding becomes available, offers will be made on the basis of the rank of each application in the competition overall." 3) I was also told that priority is not necessarily determined by final score, as "this depends on a number of factors which are in flux." 4) If you receive funding, SSHRC will contact you (and there is an indeterminate timeline as to when this could be)
I scored a 5.03 in committee 5. 

2 hours ago, Psy22 said:

Also, congrats on being presumptive #1 on the waitlist, that bodes very well, fingers crossed for you! 

1 hour ago, mustardseed said:

3) I was also told that priority is not necessarily determined by final score, as "this depends on a number of factors which are in flux."

I received a very similarly worded answer to one of my earlier emails about how it's determined. The SSHRC rep did mention that funding might also be offered to postdocs as a part of joint funding initiatives, which I imagine is where the "flux" comes into play. But when I asked specifically about the procedure for ranking applicants, they said it was based on final score.

And I just heard back from you—we were talking to the same person, so this isn't a matter of inconsistent messaging, just probably the context we were talking about (i.e., reassigning declined funding only vs. joint initiatives/reassigning declined funding/extra money SSHRC finds/etc.). 

Thanks for the congrats--I think I have pretty favourable odds of getting it. And with a 5.03, I imagine that you're pretty high up in rank too--only applicants from Committees 4B and 3 could possibly score higher—you too were the first that didn't make the cut in your Committee, right? Of 160 award holder, I figure 5-10 received the Banting and at least another 5-10 have gotten better postdocs lined up already. Speculating based on the scores and ranks people have shared, I anticipate that anyone with a 5+ has a pretty decent shot at getting funding... and rightfully so I might add. Pretty heartbreaking to be graded so highly and still not make the cut! Anyway, best of luck to you (and anyone else reading this)!

21 hours ago, Psy22 said:

Thanks so much for this! This is really helpful, though also makes me feel torn between hope and despair, haha! I scored 4.84 in committee 2B -- it's so galling to see that this would be a funded score in 2A! -- so I feel like I am right at the point on the overall "waitlist" that would be right on the cusp: either just high enough that I might get an offer eventually, or just low enough that there are too many people ahead of me for it to be likely. Yikes.

I guess I'll just have to try not to think about it too much. Best of luck to everyone who might still be in the running!

As an addendum, I will say, though, that this silent waitlist process makes a mockery of the following Note on the Decision Notice:

"The scores provided by the selection committee are an indication of the relative standing of your application
within that cohort. Since the selection committees are independent of each other, the rank attached to each
total score and attributed to each application is unique to the selection committee and the competition to
which the application was submitted."

So...yeah. Of course, we should not be surprised at the weirdness that is SSHRC.

On 3/4/2021 at 11:16 PM, Psy22 said:

I anticipate that anyone with a 5+ has a pretty decent shot at getting funding... and rightfully so I might add. Pretty heartbreaking to be graded so highly and still not make the cut! Anyway, best of luck to you (and anyone else reading this)!

Oh no! Hope! I am going to try to forget about the waitlist business for now.

For anyone still following this thread, I am glad to report I bounced back from the disappointment and sadness of the rejection and kept writing in the time since.

I'm in a couple of writing groups and also looking to connect with upper year PhD candidates taking 8+ years to finish coping with family matters, illness, and mental health. If there's channels like that on the slack @milara I will consider applying! I am not really active on linkedin, however. It's my first year dipping my toes in the job market.

3 hours ago, jungyun said:

Oh no! Hope! I am going to try to forget about the waitlist business for now.

For anyone still following this thread, I am glad to report I bounced back from the disappointment and sadness of the rejection and kept writing in the time since.

I'm in a couple of writing groups and also looking to connect with upper year PhD candidates taking 8+ years to finish coping with family matters, illness, and mental health. If there's channels like that on the slack @milara I will consider applying! I am not really active on linkedin, however. It's my first year dipping my toes in the job market.

Let me see... when I joined I was automatically subscribed to the following channels which have not been particularly active recently but do exist: postdoc_parents, wellness, work-life. There's a channel called "resuscitation" which is a place to request and give emotional support and related advice, such as where to get support or how to ask family, friends, and/or colleagues for support. Not the same, but there's also a channel about COVID (featuring discussions about faculty allies and how to talk about loss of productivity due to COVID), and a channel focused on anti-racism and anti-oppression.

You're also given permissions right away to add channels, so if you want to create something new, you can!

I've already asked a question on the workspace about a dealing with a delinquent letter writer, and I actually got a number of useful responses pretty quickly. So I think it would definitely be a useful resource during the job search. 

• 5 months later...

Looks like I'm late to the party! Congrats to those whose applications are successful and all the best to those who will be reapplying this coming season!

My app was successful, it just barely made the cut actually! Last funded application! Committee 3 :)