SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowship 2021-2022

Mrazy

17 minutes ago, ToopysRevenge said:

I hope so! They usually only post the names of members when they are no longer serving, and I believe there were new committees for the 2021 competition. Though committee 6 technically covers my field, there is no reason for any of those listed members (based on their research and expertise) to know the literature I am working with.... I really should have applied to committee 1.

I wasn't successful last year (scored low on feasibility - largely due to institutional fit I imagine, which I addressed this time around, and I also scored low on capability - disappointing since I had a SSHRC during my PhD, several other grants, finished my program on time, and I have publications). I wouldn't suggest my project was passed up on because of the committee's personal research interests (indeed, I scored best on "challenge"), but as a kind of unorthodox interdisciplinary scholar I certainly can't imagine my scholarship is their "cup of tea". Anyone else struggle with choosing a committee? I realize it's unlikely anyone's committee perfectly reflects their approach, interests, specific discourse areas, but sometimes the committee membership doesn't even seem to generally span the noted disciplines of each section.  

No SSHRC for me, either.

Somehow my "capability" score was a rather low 4.13/ 6, in spite of previously holding a Bomardier CGS Doctoral SSHRC, in additional to an internationally recognized fellowship, numerous other scholarships and significant travel/research funding. This is in addition to several publications.

Capability – The expertise to succeed (50%)

• fellowships, scholarships or other awards obtained;
  • previous research experience and/or publications; and
  • timely completion of doctoral studies, taking into account the nature of the program and relevant personal circumstances that may have delayed the applicant’s academic career.

Edited by whytriangles

I didn’t get it. Committee 6.

Applications: 116 Fellowships Offered: 23 (19.8%) Fellowships Not Offered: 93 (80.2%)
Score of last funded application: 4.92

1 hour ago, Peterino said:

I think so. I was SSHRC-funded during my PhD, but it's now expired. When I try to log in the extranet, I get an "Access Denied" message.

I was getting the same message when I used my browser history to bring up the Extranet portal - the link works for me best when I click it from the email when they sent my username and password (for me that was back in December). You should try to find the email with the link and see if that works for you. 

I'm a historian and submitted to Committee 2 (I can't remember if it was 2A or 2B). Just updating others that I have not received my results yet. It's 4:09 PM in Ottawa, which likely means no other results will be posted today. At least I know there are others out there in a pit of anxiety like me haha. 

For those of you who scored lower than you expected this year or in previous years, how do you process that? Like, if I felt my application was weak and then scored poorly, I could be philosophical about it and say it was worth a try. If I felt my application was strong and had scored high but not high enough to get funded, I would feel frustrated, but my high score would sort of validate that it was simply a very competitive field.

But I felt the application was strong, and it scored poorly. It makes me question my ability to make a future for myself in academia. Have any of you struggled with this in the past or are any of you struggling with it now?

Unsuccessful committe 6. second time application. Ranked higher than last year yet find it wierd that the feasiblity score is the lowest among the 3 scores. I thought feasibility is the strength of my proposal. Anyway, congrats to those who get it.  Thanks everyone for sharing your paths. I am now waiting for my partner's CIHR post-doc result, hope one of us get something.  It is definitely a tough time. 

26 minutes ago, ToopysRevenge said:

Unsuccessful in Committee 6 as well. Second time applying. Ugh. My capabilities score also lowered, which is odd since I've added more publications and other things since my last application. 

and @whytrianglesi was also taken aback by my capability score. i have several publications including first-author, fellowships, scholarships, *shrugs*

7 minutes ago, milara said:

For those of you who scored lower than you expected this year or in previous years, how do you process that? Like, if I felt my application was weak and then scored poorly, I could be philosophical about it and say it was worth a try. If I felt my application was strong and had scored high but not high enough to get funded, I would feel frustrated, but my high score would sort of validate that it was simply a very competitive field.

But I felt the application was strong, and it scored poorly. It makes me question my ability to make a future for myself in academia. Have any of you struggled with this in the past or are any of you struggling with it now?

I feel the same way... My supervisor was telling me the SSHRC post doc competition is basically a lottery. He thought CIHR has a better system for a fairer competition. He also gave me an example of one of the most successful profs in our department, who succeed in basically every application in her career, the only competition she failed was SSHRC postdoc. Hope it helps...

6 minutes ago, meowzers. said:

and @whytrianglesi was also taken aback by my capability score. i have several publications including first-author, fellowships, scholarships, *shrugs*

Yeah, it's truly a mystery. I have six peer-reviewed pubs on my CV; two forthcoming. One would also think that previously holding the highest possible doctoral SSHRC would also carry some weight with their definition of "capability". I really don't understand.

@milaraI think it's best to resist the temptation to read into the scoring. There's so many things we don't know with SSHRC - who our competition is, the specialization of those assessing us. As an ABD, I also know I'm competing with folks that have their PhD, perhaps have held another postdoc, and therefore likely have more "output" than me.

However, I will say, my rejection last year put me into a funk about my future in academia. This year, I'm feeling more confident in my capabilities as an academic, so the news isn't hitting as hard.   

48 minutes ago, Mrazy said:

I was getting the same message when I used my browser history to bring up the Extranet portal - the link works for me best when I click it from the email when they sent my username and password (for me that was back in December). You should try to find the email with the link and see if that works for you. 

Well, I did just that and was able to enter the extranet. And, lo and behold, there was a decision letter in there waiting for me. Still no email from SSHRC though! I got the funding!

Committee 5

Applications: 130
Fellowships Offered: 26 (20.0%)
Fellowships Not Offered: 104 (80.0%)