SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowship 2021-2022

Mrazy

9 minutes ago, meowzers. said:

Plan B is to do short-term contract work as a result of connections from current and past PDFs. I promised my graduate supervisor that I would keep trying for a tenure-track position for 4 years so I have a few more years of these types of applications ahead of me.

Once those 4 years are up (and I expect I won't have a tenure-track position at that point, because....current market), I will be looking into industry-type jobs. I want some stability as I am hitting my mid-30s, would like my mental health to not decline this rapidly, etc etc.

I am sorry if this is too personal, but... your former advisor has no right to make you make such a promise. That’s a pretty awful thing to do, TBH.

If you want to keep trying for four years, go for it. But if finances or mental health require you to switch to industry sooner, you shouldn’t have any burden of guilt for doing so, and your former advisor should support you in making that decision.

I just got an email with a password, but no username (it says in the password email that I should have already received it...) but I'm assuming we're all in the "this'll get sorted out at some point this week" stage of results...

I've already sort of entered into Plan B. I have been applying for technical writing jobs and had an interview (that I think went well) last week. I'm hoping for SSHRC results earlier in the week rather than later, because I will proceed with my postdoc plans if it pans out, but am fully prepared to move into industry if it doesn't. I defended in September and have been teaching remotely as a sessional instructor since then, and this is really soul-sucking, honestly. I know things should be better for the 2021/22 academic year, but I'm ready to jump ship, already, despite already having teaching contracts lined up for next year.

Edited by ThisIsFine

2 minutes ago, ThisIsFine said:

I just got an email with a password, but no username (it says in the password email that I should have already received it...) but I'm assuming we're all in the "this'll get sorted out at some point this week" stage of results...

I've already sort of entered into Plan B. I have been applying for technical writing jobs and had an interview (that I think went well) last week. I'm hoping for SSHRC results earlier in the week rather than later, because I will proceed with my postdoc plans if it pans out, but am fully prepared to move into industry if it doesn't. I defended in September and have been teaching remotely as a sessional instructor since then, and this is really soul-sucking, honestly. I know things should be better for the 2021/22 academic year, but I'm ready to jump ship, already, despite already having teaching contracts lined up for next year.

My Username e-mail came immediately before my password e-mail, they are in the same message chain (I'm using a gmail account). Hope that helps. 

When I log in I see a message saying that my results will be loaded soon. I also seem to have some sort of a file folder that it won't let me access. 

5 minutes ago, DevsChick said:

My Username e-mail came immediately before my password e-mail, they are in the same message chain (I'm using a gmail account). Hope that helps. 

When I log in I see a message saying that my results will be loaded soon. I also seem to have some sort of a file folder that it won't let me access. 

Ohhh, mine came a few minutes later but I didn't notice as it was threaded in Gmail. Thanks for the heads up!

It sounds like we should all have news soon-ish, but I know I'm going to be checking the Extranet every 30 seconds all week!

6 minutes ago, DevsChick said:

I have not gotten either email yet... anyone else also missing these emails?

@milara no, that is not too personal [for my standards]. i have never thought of the promise as anything but a supervisor driving home the point that the goal of a tenure-track position takes years to attain (if it happens at all) and that it's particularly important that marginalized people push through if they can.

@DevsChicksame here.

Edited by meowzers.

1 minute ago, ThisIsFine said:

Ohhh, mine came a few minutes later but I didn't notice as it was threaded in Gmail. Thanks for the heads up!

It sounds like we should all have news soon-ish, but I know I'm going to be checking the Extranet every 30 seconds all week!

Oh, hey, what is the email address of the sender? Might help us find these emails in our inboxes more easily/make sure they haven't appeared in junk.

1 minute ago, milara said:

Oh, hey, what is the email address of the sender? Might help us find these emails in our inboxes more easily/make sure they haven't appeared in junk.

Extranet.support@nserc-crsng.gc.ca

Just now, ToopysRevenge said:

I received my Extranet email and password back in December. If your a doctoral SSHRC recipient, it may have come sooner. 

I have not received funding through SSHRC before.

I did get the email last week saying that they would be sending results this week, so I know they have the right email address on file... trying not to be a nervous wreck. ?

Just to fuel everyone's speculation. My folder was created at 8:37 and briefly I could see someone else's folder in my folder (it was removed). They do have to create like 600 accounts and I assume there must be some logic to how they're doing it. 

It could be going in reverse-alphabetical order based on my last-name and the last name of the other file I briefly saw. (I'm not at the very end of the alphabet though, but maybe they got started early) 

3 minutes ago, DevsChick said:

Just to fuel everyone's speculation. My folder was created at 8:37 and briefly I could see someone else's folder in my folder (it was removed). They do have to create like 600 accounts and I assume there must be some logic to how they're doing it. 

It could be going in reverse-alphabetical order based on my last-name and the last name of the other file I briefly saw. (I'm not at the very end of the alphabet though, but maybe they got started early) 

I'm a "Mc" last name, so right near the middle. Just for one more data point. I also submitted to Committee 2, if that makes any difference at all.

Probably not reverse alphabetical order then, since yours seemed to be soon after mine. I'm Committee 5. 

1 minute ago, ThisIsFine said:

I'm a "Mc" last name, so right near the middle. Just for one more data point. I also submitted to Committee 2, if that makes any difference at all.

I finally got my login info about an hour ago. I submitted to committee 6, my last name starts with “B”, and I submitted my application right on the day they were due.

7 minutes ago, ThisIsFine said:

I'm just going to drive myself nuts here. I lecture (virtually) in an hour and a half so I'm basically just killing time, hitting refresh on something that probably won't be updated until late Friday afternoon...

Yeah, I feel you. I am on partial sick leave right now, so I have nothing to occupy my mind...

17 minutes ago, Peterino said:

"T" last name here and still nothing...

Wish I had a care react. Guess I have to use my words: I know how you feel since mine took so long... but it will arrive eventually! Perhaps when business hours start up again tomorrow? (I am assuming they are on Ottawa’s schedule)