SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowship 2021-2022

Mrazy

22 minutes ago, ThisIsFine said:

I'm going to assume at this point that the "folder creation" job was given to multiple people, who are moving through their stacks of names at different paces, and that this is all just random data entry. ?

I think you hit the nail on the head. ?

If it helps anyone, I had a doctoral SSHRC fellowship and was set up on Extranet in December (my funding ended in December). I do not have a new folder in my account for the postdoctoral competition results yet. 

Just now, Nathan Reis said:

This is for sure going to be a case where all of the folders are available at the same time. Guessing there is a "hide" feature and then all of the information will be released once it is all uploaded.

That does seem likely.

I'm wondering, has everyone gotten their password and username by now? If they are uploading the results (but hiding them) at the same time as creating the accounts, then when the last password and username go out, they will unhide everything. But if they are creating accounts, and then going back through them and adding results, then that will take at least as long as it took to create the accounts. @Peterino, did you get your emails yet?

1 minute ago, Nathan Reis said:

This is for sure going to be a case where all of the folders are available at the same time. Guessing there is a "hide" feature and then all of the information will be released once it is all uploaded.

I'm afraid when they say the results are available, we will have a very slow system. Because it is not very fast even now and all applicants will try to access to their accounts at the same time.

5 minutes ago, FSBM said:

I'm afraid when they say the results are available, we will have a very slow system. Because it is not very fast even now and all applicants will try to access to their accounts at the same time.

That's unfortunately a good point. I'm kind of hoping that maybe they'll announce the winners on the website, so you can at least see if you got funded, and then wait until the website is less swamped to see the scores and any feedback (not that I expect much of the latter).

ETA: although my partner points out to me, rightfully, that text documents of this kind are really small bandwidth wise, so maybe this is less likely unless the server itself is an old old system and it's an issue with processing power.

Edited by milara
Added new perspective.

Just now, ybenb026@uottawa.ca said:

How many time can we apply to the fellowship? My plan B is to try again next year, if not, I honestly have no idea.... It's so hard to get a research or teaching position in Montreal. 

No idea, but... Realistically, the odds of being able to pick and choose the city where you get a research or teaching position are really really low unless you are a crazy amazing rising star researcher. I would guess that it is really rare for people to be able to pick the city they wind up in for their first faculty position.

12 minutes ago, milara said:

That's unfortunately a good point. I'm kind of hoping that maybe they'll announce the winners on the website, so you can at least see if you got funded, and then wait until the website is less swamped to see the scores and any feedback (not that I expect much of the latter).

As the website says "Your documents will be displayed below shortly", I think they will upload the documents send to applicants each year. They are a set of documents including a letter with specific information about your application (e.g., your scores).

Edited by FSBM

6 minutes ago, ybenb026@uottawa.ca said:

How many time can we apply to the fellowship? My plan B is to try again next year, if not, I honestly have no idea.... It's so hard to get a research or teaching position in Montreal. 

I guess there isn't a limit. You can apply as long as you are eligible.

Edited by FSBM

16 minutes ago, milara said:

Oh no! They should hurry up!

Uploading documents may not be a one by one process. They can have a function in the system like upload documents in this folder to the accounts with matching application numbers. There are things like this in databases systems but I don't know how theirs work. This could save a lot of time for both us and them.

Edited by FSBM

Yes, I also assume that they will just be uploading PDF versions of the letter they would normally print and mail out to applicants. I received the SSHRC doctoral fellowship in 2018 and received a 3-4 page letter in the mail that included all of my scores and funding details, along with instructions on how to accept the fellowship. I'm glad we don't have to wait for the physical letter this year, given the slowness of Canada Post in Canada with the pandemic. 

7 minutes ago, FSBM said:

As the website says "Your documents will be displayed below shortly", I think they will upload the documents send to applicants each year. They are a set of documents including a letter with specific information about the application (e.g., your scores).

Yeah, this is what they will do I'm sure.

9 minutes ago, FSBM said:

Uploading documents may not be a one by one process. They can have a function in the system like upload documents in this folder to the accounts matching application numbers. There are things like this in databases systems but I don't know how theirs work. This could save a lot of time for both us and them.

I have been assuming that decisions are already made and that if they had a proper system set up to automate the process, it wouldn’t be taking this long. But even if the decisions are not made yet, an automated process for creating less than 1000 accounts should not take this long. Hence the assumption that they are doing it all by hand.

5 minutes ago, milara said:

I have been assuming that decisions are already made and that if they had a proper system set up to automate the process, it wouldn’t be taking this long. But even if the decisions are not made yet, an automated process for creating less than 1000 accounts should not take this long. Hence the assumption that they are doing it all by hand.

I think it is safe to say the decisions are all made and that people working with SSHRC are creating folders and uploading the letters/scores in corresponding folders. 

I have a sshrc doc fellowship and so my account should already be set up (I’ve accessed it before). But I am seeing a message that says “Error: Access Denied” when I log in. My username/password are all correct and I’ve tried resetting the password as well. 

Does anyone else see this message when they try to log in?

8 minutes ago, Krostrat said:

I have a sshrc doc fellowship and so my account should already be set up (I’ve accessed it before). But I am seeing a message that says “Error: Access Denied” when I log in. My username/password are all correct and I’ve tried resetting the password as well. 

Does anyone else see this message when they try to log in?

I just logged in to mine, and it was fine.

Does it let you log in and then, once you're in your account, you get the message? If that's the case I wouldn't worry at all, since they're in the middle of uploading documents, creating folders etc. Especially if you have an existing account that needs to be changed.

But if you can't log in, perhaps just contact their support? And I wouldn't worry in this case either, obviously it's a technical issue of accessing the account. They have your results, whatever they are, regardless. 

Most importantly, good luck with the results!

1 minute ago, NoMoreABD said:

I just logged in to mine, and it was fine.

Does it let you log in and then, once you're in your account, you get the message? If that's the case I wouldn't worry at all, since they're in the middle of uploading documents, creating folders etc. Especially if you have an existing account that needs to be changed.

But if you can't log in, perhaps just contact their support? And I wouldn't worry in this case either, obviously it's a technical issue of accessing the account. They have your results, whatever they are, regardless. 

Most importantly, good luck with the results!

Thanks so much - I can log in but I see nothing but that error screen. I figured it would likely just be a tech issue but seeing everyone post in here just elevated my concern haha. Maybe best to just log off for a while, wait for the email, and go from there. :)

Best of luck to you too!

24 minutes ago, Krostrat said:

Thanks so much - I can log in but I see nothing but that error screen. I figured it would likely just be a tech issue but seeing everyone post in here just elevated my concern haha. Maybe best to just log off for a while, wait for the email, and go from there. :)

Best of luck to you too!

I was having the same issue yesterday, but hitting refresh on the page would load the actual page. Does that work for you?

After all this, I think I'm out. A really good written offer for an industry job (related to my larger research area, and writing-focused) just showed up in my inbox. I was really hoping that this company moved slower, or that SSHRC moved faster, so that I could have all data before I made a decision, but I don't think I can turn this down, even for my dream postdoc. As an aside, I am pretty limited geographically to my mid-sized Ontario city and the area around it, so a tenure-track position in the future is a VERY remote possibility for me.

Good luck, everyone!

5 minutes ago, ThisIsFine said:

After all this, I think I'm out. A really good written offer for an industry job (related to my larger research area, and writing-focused) just showed up in my inbox. I was really hoping that this company moved slower, or that SSHRC moved faster, so that I could have all data before I made a decision, but I don't think I can turn this down, even for my dream postdoc. As an aside, I am pretty limited geographically to my mid-sized Ontario city and the area around it, so a tenure-track position in the future is a VERY remote possibility for me.

Good luck, everyone!

Congratulations! I know it's bittersweet, but at least you know now what you're doing.

30 minutes ago, ThisIsFine said:

Good luck, everyone!

Congratulations! I'm really happy for you. As a current SSHRC postdoc, I can say that nothing much changed with my tenure-track position search. I would very happily accept an industry job at this point if I had the option. Unfortunately, it is not possible in my field. Having stability and predictability may be really good especially considering you will be living in an area that you would like to.

For anyone wondering, I'm around for my partner's application this year.