SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowship 2021-2022

Mrazy

2 minutes ago, DevsChick said:

Just letting everyone know that my results are in my file although I haven't received an e-mail yet. I didn't get it. Good luck to everyone else. 

I'm so sorry! I hope you find success elsewhere.

For the record, I just logged in and my results are not there. 

11 minutes ago, DevsChick said:

Just letting everyone know that my results are in my file although I haven't received an e-mail yet. I didn't get it. Good luck to everyone else. 

I'm sorry to hear this - I know there are going to be so many good projects not funded this year. It really does feel like a lotto draw, or, as my undergraduate supervisor once called it, "a crap shoot." I hope you have other irons in the fire and have a good scholastic year. 

Also for the record, I checked my account and my results are not uploaded yet either. 

11 minutes ago, DevsChick said:

So sorry to hear that. I wish all the best for you. You can try again next year if you want. Many people get it on their second or third try. As others highlighted unfortunately there is a big chance factor in this.

22 hours ago, Krostrat said:

Thanks so much - I can log in but I see nothing but that error screen. I figured it would likely just be a tech issue but seeing everyone post in here just elevated my concern haha. Maybe best to just log off for a while, wait for the email, and go from there. :)

Best of luck to you too!

When I went to my browser history and clicked on the Extranet website, it wouldn't let me log in, and I think it said 'Access Denied' or something similar. But, when I click on the link in the email, it lets me log in. I hope that's helpful! 

Thanks for the support. This was my second year applying. My score was significantly higher than last year, but my rank was significantly lower so I don't really know what to do with all of this. If I had received this score last year, I would be into the second year of funding and now I'm left with nothing. 

7 minutes ago, Mrazy said:

When I went to my browser history and clicked on the Extranet website, it wouldn't let me log in, and I think it said 'Access Denied' or something similar. But, when I click on the link in the email, it lets me log in. I hope that's helpful! 

Thank you!!! It worked! I hope your results get uploaded shortly!!

2 minutes ago, crackers said:

didn't get it. for reference:

committee 4b,

Applications: 88
Fellowships Offered: 18 (20.5%)
Fellowships Not Offered: 70 (79.5%)
Score of last funded application: 5.09

I'm so sorry, @crackers! I hope your Plan B works out way better than you could have hoped.

And thanks for the intel!

10 minutes ago, Krostrat said:

Committee 5 (Econ, political science, management, business and administrative studies, industrial relations)

Applications: 130

Fellowships Offered: 26 (20.0%)

Fellowships not offered: 104 (80%)

Score of last funded application: 5.04

Thank you for sharing the stats on Committee 5 - was your application successful?

36 minutes ago, DevsChick said:

Thanks for the support. This was my second year applying. My score was significantly higher than last year, but my rank was significantly lower so I don't really know what to do with all of this. If I had received this score last year, I would be into the second year of funding and now I'm left with nothing. 

That's really frustrating and I'm sorry. Were there significantly more applications this year for your committee? I would be disheartened, as well.

9 minutes ago, Krostrat said:

It was, thanks. 5.3/6. Best of luck to everyone still waiting for their results!

Congratulations!

A question for you or any others whose results are up: When I click on the link in my email and log in, I see "To upload your document please click here to access your personal folder." and below that I see "There are no items to show in this view of the "Applicant Libraries" document library." Did you have to access your personal folder to see your results, or were they just there on that first page? 

10 minutes ago, ThisIsFine said:

That's really frustrating and I'm sorry. Were there significantly more applications this year for your committee? I would be disheartened, as well.

I'm in committee five. Last year there were 93 applicants, this year 130, so I'm sure that was a factor. But I would add that last year the score of the last award offered was 3.93 and this year it's 5.06 so obviously something has changed. 

1 minute ago, DevsChick said:

I'm in committee five. Last year there were 93 applicants, this year 130, so I'm sure that was a factor. But I would add that last year the score of the last award offered was 3.93 and this year it's 5.06 so obviously something has changed. 

I wonder if this is in part due to COVID and the political unrest in the US. Canadians are more committed to finding positions in Canada, whereas in the past many of us would probably end up finding positions in the US.

7 minutes ago, milara said:

Congratulations!

A question for you or any others whose results are up: When I click on the link in my email and log in, I see "To upload your document please click here to access your personal folder." and below that I see "There are no items to show in this view of the "Applicant Libraries" document library." Did you have to access your personal folder to see your results, or were they just there on that first page? 

On my end, the documents showed up on the first page, right when I logged in. So no need to “click here to access your personal folder”

1 minute ago, milara said:

I wonder if this is in part due to COVID and the political unrest in the US. Canadians are more committed to finding positions in Canada, whereas in the past many of us would probably end up finding positions in the US.

This would make sense. My proposed postdoc was also supposed to be primarily remote (travelling the 5 hours to the University of Ottawa a couple times a month) and I don't think that would have been an option pre-COVID. Many people who were not open to remote research/collaboration are much more open to it now, in my experience, which made this particular postdoc possible for me. 

6 minutes ago, DevsChick said:

Actually, now that I thought about this, I was looking at the statistics the other day, and most of the committees in past years have had an acceptance rate of around 20%. So not sure why the last score accepted is so different this time...

Just now, milara said:

Actually, now that I thought about this, I was looking at the statistics the other day, and most of the committees in past years have had an acceptance rate of around 20%. So not sure why the last score accepted is so different this time...

Maybe the applications this year were scored higher than in previous years? Going with the normal 20% acceptance rate, the top 15 or so accepted proposals had a higher-than-typical score compared to other top 15 accepted applications in other years. 

1 minute ago, Mrazy said:

Maybe the applications this year were scored higher than in previous years? Going with the normal 20% acceptance rate, the top 15 or so accepted proposals had a higher-than-typical score compared to other top 15 accepted applications in other years. 

I mean, they may have scrounged up additional funding to keep the acceptance rate even when they got so many good proposals.

1 minute ago, milara said:

I mean, they may have scrounged up additional funding to keep the acceptance rate even when they got so many good proposals.

My reading of this is that not only did they get more applications than last year but they also got better applications than last year. The changes in my scores do seem to suggest that my application was better overall, or at least that this committee thought so (I may have been disadvantaged by the pandemic because I do research internationally as well). 

3 minutes ago, Mrazy said:

OK, I'm re-checking to see if my memory was accurate. They have statistics on the 2014-2019 competitions. In those five years, average acceptance rate across all committees was 19.4%.

You can't look at it by committee, but you can look at it by discipline, or by hosting institution.
https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiODRiNTFmYzgtOTM1MC00MjQ1LTg3ZjEtMmMyNDk4YjJiMzJhIiwidCI6ImZiZWYwNzk4LTIwZTMtNGJlNy1iZGM4LTM3MjAzMjYxMGY2NSJ9