Stat/Biostat Profile Eval

uncertainty1

Hi all, I'm applying to grad school this cycle and I'm lost on where to apply. I'm looking into stat masters and biostat masters/PhDs.

Undergraduate Institution: R1 state school, top 20 stat department, top 100 US News
Major: Statistics
Minor: Math, Computer programming
GPA: 3.87
Type of Student: Domestic Asian female

GRE Score: 162Q/159V/4.5 (plan to retake)

Math classes: Calc II (A+), Calc III (A), Intro to proofs (A), ODE (A-), Linear algebra (A-), Real analysis I (B), Real analysis II (B)
Stat classes: Probability theory (A+), Inference (A-), Regression analysis (B), Experimental design (A+), Survey sampling (A), Bayesian analysis (A-), Nonparametrics (in progress), Time series (in progress)
Misc classes: 2 Java intro classes (A-, A), Data structures and algorithms (in progress), C (in progress)

Research Experience:
REU in statistical genetics - 2 papers published in biocomputing conference (not first author), presented one
REU working for geophysics prof on Gaussian process emulators - oral presentation at geophysics conference

Work/Other Experience:
TA for a statistical computing class for a year, data science industry internship for a summer

Awards:
Goldwater scholarship, Full ride undergrad scholarship

Letters: 
2 REU profs (1 stat, 1 geophysics, both decent), stat prof I took a class from (not as strong)

I'm applying to the stat masters program at my undergrad institution, but not sure where else I could apply for biostat phd programs with my math grades. Any input is appreciated!

Edited by uncertainty1

Your GRE score is pretty low. I think you should shoot for a minimum 165 and preferably 167+ on your retake.

I think what hurts your application the most is those two B's in analysis. I think you should try to take one more upper level theoretical math course like Abstract Algebra or Complex Analysis and try to aim for an A- or higher. That will reassure adcoms that you can do well in theoretical math courses.

If you do both of those, I think you have a good shot at biostats departments outside the top-3 and stats programs outside the top-20

Your low GRE Q, along with B's in real analysis will raise concerns about your ability to do math. With that said, you may have trouble getting into top 10 Biostat PhD programs. Taking complex analysis/abstract algebra is not absolutely necessary unless you are very interested but I would consider taking measure theory. If you do well in measure theory and raise your GRE Q to 165+, I think you have a chance of getting into schools like UNC/Michigan.

Edited by Casorati

On 9/19/2020 at 11:35 PM, StatsG0d said:

Your GRE score is pretty low. I think you should shoot for a minimum 165 and preferably 167+ on your retake.

I think what hurts your application the most is those two B's in analysis. I think you should try to take one more upper level theoretical math course like Abstract Algebra or Complex Analysis and try to aim for an A- or higher. That will reassure adcoms that you can do well in theoretical math courses.

If you do both of those, I think you have a good shot at biostats departments outside the top-3 and stats programs outside the top-20

I just took the GRE and got a 165 Q. Is this good enough for Stats Masters programs and PhD in Statistics/BioStatistics (outside USNWR top 20-30)