Are online Neuroscience PHD programs valid (worth) and well recognized?

dedaloh

Hello anyone. I'm a clinical neuropsychologist and I live in Italy. I own a Psy D. in cognitive psychotherapy.

I would like to gain a Neuroscience PHD in the field of dementia. I have 15 years experience in the field of dementia, in particular I work since 2005 in a dementia center inside a general hospital and I've  5 years  of experience as clinical reviewer and rater training for vendors. My role of clinical neuropsychologist has always been dedicated to the clinical evaluation of the patientx both inpatients and outpatients.

I would like to go to the next step but everytime I have a interview the lack of clinical research in my CV sounds very bad.

Seen also the Covid times, I was thiunking to apply to an online PHD program in neuroscience but I would do this only if nowadays is a good idea and it would be well recognized and appreciated in the industry.

Thank you for any suggestion!

Edited by dedaloh

I don't know about Italy, but in the U.S., the field of psychology pretty universally looks down on online training. Also, I would assume a PhD in neuroscience would involve research that doesn't lend itself to online platforms (such as a lot of cognitive testing or brain imagining). 

18 hours ago, dedaloh said:

Hello anyone. I'm a clinical neuropsychologist and I live in Italy. I own a Psy D. in cognitive psychotherapy.

I would like to gain a Neuroscience PHD in the field of dementia. I have 15 years experience in the field of dementia, in particular I work since 2005 in a dementia center inside a general hospital and I've  5 years  of experience as clinical reviewer and rater training for vendors. My role of clinical neuropsychologist has always been dedicated to the clinical evaluation of the patientx both inpatients and outpatients.

I would like to go to the next step but everytime I have a interview the lack of clinical research in my CV sounds very bad.

Seen also the Covid times, I was thiunking to apply to an online PHD program in neuroscience but I would do this only if nowadays is a good idea and it would be well recognized and appreciated in the industry.

Thank you for any suggestion!

I think the first question is what would you like to do with this degree?

Since you're already a practicing professional, what would it bring you? If you are passionate about research and want to do more of it, I think  you can probably write to some professors and see whether your clinical experience can bring something new to their lab and they can provide you with more training in research.

Well recognized and appreciated in the industry - this is very specific, what do you mean? A PhD can be appreciated in the industry, but it depends for what kind of jobs and in which industries. If you are looking for better paying jobs, you might be able to get one through a simpler route (for example a certificate through online learning and then going for positions where you can consult). Basically, it goes back to my first question. What would you like to do with this degree?

Short answer: no. 

Why would an online program be worth it when so many aspects of neuroscience, in particular, require in-person work (e.g., rat research, human studies, etc.)? Sounds like you already have a good career so just keep on doing that I would say unless you have a lot of money to burn. I think some good  CEU courses/conferences would be much better if you just want to learn new things.