2021 Acting MFA thread (??)

koochoo

On 1/19/2021 at 1:48 PM, mykingdomforanMFA said:

I hope everyone has had successful auditions so far! I had my USD audition today and felt really good about both my work and the interview/banter portion, but no callback. Their email says callbacks are not indicative of your full consideration for the program, but...that feels untrue. 

Auditioning over Zoom is so weird, y'all.

Anyone heard back about UCSD callbacks? They said we'd hear back by January 30th, but I'm wondering if anyone has already heard?

Hi! I have my USD audition in a few days. Do you have any tips for set up?

Hi MFA friends. I only applied to two schools this year, the PATP at UW, and USD/Old Globe. Fingers crossed. I have my USD audition in a few days, and I have no idea what to expect. I'd happily accept any suggestions regarding set-up (did you stand, did you do it from your phone/computer/laptop, did you have headphones?)

I'm full of nervous/excited energy!

24 minutes ago, AKactor said:

I sat for my audition because space is somewhat limited in my apartment and my monologues weren’t movement heavy. I used my laptop, a clip-on ring light to light myself, and I didn’t personally use headphones. 

I would recommend using a laptop and making sure you’re lit from the front to avoid shadows on your face. The stage manager offers to do a sound and framing check with you when you check in, so don’t stress about that too much. They were really behind on the first day, so I ended up waiting for a long time which was unexpected over Zoom. Just make yourself as comfortable as possible and give yourself freedom to do your best work. Don’t worry- they were SUPER nice and welcoming. They want you to succeed, so just do your work and be yourself!

3 hours ago, mykingdomforanMFA said:

Anyone heard anything from UCSD yet? Their website says they will contact us either way by tomorrow, but I’m wondering if that’s just going to be some mass rejection email lol.

I didn't personally audition, but in my coaches group a bunch of people have been asking and looks like no one had received a response yet.

23 hours ago, mykingdomforanMFA said:

I sat for my audition because space is somewhat limited in my apartment and my monologues weren’t movement heavy. I used my laptop, a clip-on ring light to light myself, and I didn’t personally use headphones. 

I would recommend using a laptop and making sure you’re lit from the front to avoid shadows on your face. The stage manager offers to do a sound and framing check with you when you check in, so don’t stress about that too much. They were really behind on the first day, so I ended up waiting for a long time which was unexpected over Zoom. Just make yourself as comfortable as possible and give yourself freedom to do your best work. Don’t worry- they were SUPER nice and welcoming. They want you to succeed, so just do your work and be yourself!

Thank you for this! Zoom auditions befuddle me. I'm excited, but nervous!

3 minutes ago, koochooloo said:

@mykingdomforanMFAnope! I submitted but haven’t heard. It’s a great school, really hoping for a next step...

I guess there's something comforting in knowing no one has heard from them yet. Maybe (hopefully) they're just taking longer than expected.

5 minutes ago, koochooloo said:

Yes, they’ve been sent out 

Ah gotcha. My coach said “The roll out for NYU weekend invitations is not all at once but can be several days or even weeks. I’ve got stories.”

so I’ll wait til I hear an official “no”, but bummed to hear it might not happen 

Hey Guys! Hope some of you are hearing some good news. Has anyone heard from UCSD yet? They mentioned that callback status would be sent by January 30th? I know that CalArts just had their callbacks and that USC will be notifying applicants of their callback status over the next couple of weeks. 

Break a leg!

On 1/29/2021 at 6:00 PM, AKactor said:

Set up tape somewhere to establish an eye line. For one school, I also asked the faculty whether my eyes were in a good position for them. Check out this article: https://www.backstage.com/magazine/article/an-acting-coachs-tips-for-mastering-your-zoom-audition-71627/

Remember, that the faculty are rooting for you in these callbacks, so don't be afraid to ask a few questions to ensure that they see you clearly.

1 hour ago, GreenRanger2021 said:

Hey Guys! Hope some of you are hearing some good news. Has anyone heard from UCSD yet? They mentioned that callback status would be sent by January 30th? I know that CalArts just had their callbacks and that USC will be notifying applicants of their callback status over the next couple of weeks. 

Break a leg!

I finally broke down and emailed them yesterday after a UK school called me back in December, but forgot to email me. #paranoid

The Program Coordinator, Brittany, responded with this: 

“I apologize for the delay in response. As you can imagine, our audition process is much different this year. Our faculty are working hard to make their final decisions regarding callbacks, and you will definitely hear either way by this Friday (hopefully sooner). There are still some callback emails that have not gone out yet, but I am not privy to that information.”

So it sounds like we will hear either way by Friday.

8 hours ago, GreenRanger2021 said:

Break a leg!

HI, I've heard from UCSD. My audition is in a few days. Crossing my fingers for you!

@GreenRanger2021, it sounds to me like we're either at the end of the line alphabetically, or they're down to their last few spots and are undecided on us. From what I gather, most callback offers/rejections have gone out. We're the final few. (Which I'm hoping is a good sign.)

Edited by mykingdomforanMFA

41 minutes ago, mykingdomforanMFA said:

@GreenRanger2021, it sounds to me like we're either at the end of the line alphabetically, or they're down to their last few spots and are undecided on us. From what I gather, most callback offers/rejections have gone out. We're the final few. (Which I'm hoping is a good sign.)

Good to hear. I figured/ hoped as much. I knew they had a lot of applicants. My name would definitely be last alphabetically too haha. Hope you get good news soon!

On 2/3/2021 at 11:11 AM, mykingdomforanMFA said:

are we supposed to hear from them either way? i haven’t heard anything from UCSD (and my name shouldn’t necessarily be towards the end alphabetically)

21 minutes ago, attemptedactor said:

are we supposed to hear from them either way? i haven’t heard anything from UCSD (and my name shouldn’t necessarily be towards the end alphabetically)

The only information I have to go on came directly from the Program Coordinator saying we should hear either way by tomorrow. This is what she sent me verbatim:

“I apologize for the delay in response. As you can imagine, our audition process is much different this year. Our faculty are working hard to make their final decisions regarding callbacks, and you will definitely hear either way by this Friday (hopefully sooner). There are still some callback emails that have not gone out yet, but I am not privy to that information.”

So I have to assume we will hear either way. You can always check your applicant portal. They say it's supposed to be updated with your results once they make a decision. I have no idea what order they're reviewing them in - but my last name starts with W, so I just kinda assumed that was why I was at the end. But they may just be down to a few undecided folks and are taking a long time to consider. Who knows?

Edited by mykingdomforanMFA