Jump to content

2021 Acting MFA thread (??)


Recommended Posts

On 1/19/2021 at 1:48 PM, mykingdomforanMFA said:

I hope everyone has had successful auditions so far! I had my USD audition today and felt really good about both my work and the interview/banter portion, but no callback. Their email says callbacks are not indicative of your full consideration for the program, but...that feels untrue. 

Auditioning over Zoom is so weird, y'all.

Anyone heard back about UCSD callbacks? They said we'd hear back by January 30th, but I'm wondering if anyone has already heard?

 

Hi! I have my USD audition in a few days. Do you have any tips for set up?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For USD, they just let me know I'm a finalist! They gave me a call.  For the audition, they let us know that only 3 people got a callback the entire tour. My friend, who auditioned the day before

After going through the USD audition I have to say I agree with you both about feeling actually considered even with no callback. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see! Nothing from UCSD over here..

Hi! Did URTAs and I am very tired. Lol I feel very lucky to be tired though. I didn’t get a final callback for Juilliard either, so we are done. Also waiting to hear back from UCSD! Video submissions

Hi MFA friends. I only applied to two schools this year, the PATP at UW, and USD/Old Globe. Fingers crossed. I have my USD audition in a few days, and I have no idea what to expect. I'd happily accept any suggestions regarding set-up (did you stand, did you do it from your phone/computer/laptop, did you have headphones?)

I'm full of nervous/excited energy!

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, AKactor said:

Hi! I have my USD audition in a few days. Do you have any tips for set up?

I sat for my audition because space is somewhat limited in my apartment and my monologues weren’t movement heavy. I used my laptop, a clip-on ring light to light myself, and I didn’t personally use headphones. 
 

I would recommend using a laptop and making sure you’re lit from the front to avoid shadows on your face. The stage manager offers to do a sound and framing check with you when you check in, so don’t stress about that too much. They were really behind on the first day, so I ended up waiting for a long time which was unexpected over Zoom. Just make yourself as comfortable as possible and give yourself freedom to do your best work. Don’t worry- they were SUPER nice and welcoming. They want you to succeed, so just do your work and be yourself!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mykingdomforanMFA said:

Anyone heard anything from UCSD yet? Their website says they will contact us either way by tomorrow, but I’m wondering if that’s just going to be some mass rejection email lol.

I didn't personally audition, but in my coaches group a bunch of people have been asking and looks like no one had received a response yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, mykingdomforanMFA said:

I sat for my audition because space is somewhat limited in my apartment and my monologues weren’t movement heavy. I used my laptop, a clip-on ring light to light myself, and I didn’t personally use headphones. 
 

I would recommend using a laptop and making sure you’re lit from the front to avoid shadows on your face. The stage manager offers to do a sound and framing check with you when you check in, so don’t stress about that too much. They were really behind on the first day, so I ended up waiting for a long time which was unexpected over Zoom. Just make yourself as comfortable as possible and give yourself freedom to do your best work. Don’t worry- they were SUPER nice and welcoming. They want you to succeed, so just do your work and be yourself!

Thank you for this! Zoom auditions befuddle me. I'm excited, but nervous!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, koochooloo said:

Yes, they’ve been sent out 

Ah gotcha. My coach said “The roll out for NYU weekend invitations is not all at once but can be several days or even weeks. I’ve got stories.”

so I’ll wait til I hear an official “no”, but bummed to hear it might not happen 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Guys! Hope some of you are hearing some good news. Has anyone heard from UCSD yet? They mentioned that callback status would be sent by January 30th? I know that CalArts just had their callbacks and that USC will be notifying applicants of their callback status over the next couple of weeks. 

Break a leg!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2021 at 6:00 PM, AKactor said:

Hi! I have my USD audition in a few days. Do you have any tips for set up?

Set up tape somewhere to establish an eye line. For one school, I also asked the faculty whether my eyes were in a good position for them. Check out this article: https://www.backstage.com/magazine/article/an-acting-coachs-tips-for-mastering-your-zoom-audition-71627/

Remember, that the faculty are rooting for you in these callbacks, so don't be afraid to ask a few questions to ensure that they see you clearly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GreenRanger2021 said:

Hey Guys! Hope some of you are hearing some good news. Has anyone heard from UCSD yet? They mentioned that callback status would be sent by January 30th? I know that CalArts just had their callbacks and that USC will be notifying applicants of their callback status over the next couple of weeks. 

Break a leg!

I finally broke down and emailed them yesterday after a UK school called me back in December, but forgot to email me. #paranoid

The Program Coordinator, Brittany, responded with this: 

“I apologize for the delay in response. As you can imagine, our audition process is much different this year. Our faculty are working hard to make their final decisions regarding callbacks, and you will definitely hear either way by this Friday (hopefully sooner). There are still some callback emails that have not gone out yet, but I am not privy to that information.”

So it sounds like we will hear either way by Friday.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GreenRanger2021 said:

Hey Guys! Hope some of you are hearing some good news. Has anyone heard from UCSD yet? They mentioned that callback status would be sent by January 30th? I know that CalArts just had their callbacks and that USC will be notifying applicants of their callback status over the next couple of weeks. 

Break a leg!

HI, I've heard from UCSD. My audition is in a few days. Crossing my fingers for you!

Link to post
Share on other sites

@GreenRanger2021, it sounds to me like we're either at the end of the line alphabetically, or they're down to their last few spots and are undecided on us. From what I gather, most callback offers/rejections have gone out. We're the final few. (Which I'm hoping is a good sign.)

Edited by mykingdomforanMFA
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, mykingdomforanMFA said:

@GreenRanger2021, it sounds to me like we're either at the end of the line alphabetically, or they're down to their last few spots and are undecided on us. From what I gather, most callback offers/rejections have gone out. We're the final few. (Which I'm hoping is a good sign.)

Good to hear. I figured/ hoped as much. I knew they had a lot of applicants. My name would definitely be last alphabetically too haha. Hope you get good news soon!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2021 at 11:11 AM, mykingdomforanMFA said:

@GreenRanger2021, it sounds to me like we're either at the end of the line alphabetically, or they're down to their last few spots and are undecided on us. From what I gather, most callback offers/rejections have gone out. We're the final few. (Which I'm hoping is a good sign.)

are we supposed to hear from them either way? i haven’t heard anything from UCSD (and my name shouldn’t necessarily be towards the end alphabetically)

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, attemptedactor said:

are we supposed to hear from them either way? i haven’t heard anything from UCSD (and my name shouldn’t necessarily be towards the end alphabetically)

The only information I have to go on came directly from the Program Coordinator saying we should hear either way by tomorrow. This is what she sent me verbatim:

“I apologize for the delay in response. As you can imagine, our audition process is much different this year. Our faculty are working hard to make their final decisions regarding callbacks, and you will definitely hear either way by this Friday (hopefully sooner). There are still some callback emails that have not gone out yet, but I am not privy to that information.”

So I have to assume we will hear either way. You can always check your applicant portal. They say it's supposed to be updated with your results once they make a decision. I have no idea what order they're reviewing them in - but my last name starts with W, so I just kinda assumed that was why I was at the end. But they may just be down to a few undecided folks and are taking a long time to consider. Who knows?

Edited by mykingdomforanMFA
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.