2021 Acting MFA thread (??)

koochoo

Hey all, just making a space for those of us looking at MFA Acting programs this upcoming year (2021).

Wanting to connect while there is so much distance involved in acting right now (zoom readings anyone??). Also freaking out a little considering these auditions will be virtual and very different from what we are all so used to to. Hopefully a blessing in disguise...I'm sad that a few of my top choice schools won't be accepting but very excited to have some sort of goal whether the outcome is just working on material. 

*is there anyone out there?*

On 10/3/2020 at 4:24 PM, HopingForMFA said:

Where's everyone auditioning?

Juilliard, NYU, USD/Old Globe, and the URTA and Satellite schools. Basically just trying to keep my options wide open! What about everyone else?

5 minutes ago, Happytobehere said:

Juilliard, NYU, USD/Old Globe, and the URTA and Satellite schools. Basically just trying to keep my options wide open! What about everyone else?

DePaul, URTA, and USD (the flagship, not the Old Globe), if they figure out how they're doing auditions!

Just now, HopingForMFA said:

DePaul, URTA, and USD (the flagship, not the Old Globe), if they figure out how they're doing auditions!

Nice! Oh yes, I keep checking on UCSD's page. I hope they figure out what they're doing for auditions soon! I'm excited to get all these dates on my calendar haha. Have you done URTAs before?

Just now, Happytobehere said:

Nice! Oh yes, I keep checking on UCSD's page. I hope they figure out what they're doing for auditions soon! I'm excited to get all these dates on my calendar haha. Have you done URTAs before?

My biggest fear is that they're not doing a cycle this year. However, I feel like they would have told us already. No, I have never done URTA before - this is my first time. I am glad it's virtual though because I have a feeling that'll off-set a lot of the anxiety of the holding room and the cattle call aspect of it, you know?

I auditioned for NYU my first year auditioning for schools (Jan 2019) and I got through all three rounds of callbacks and got to audition for Mark. But I wasn't brought to call-back weekend. It was an experience for sure. 

Hi all! So happy to see responses lol

I'm doing URTAs, hoping ACT and UCSD will accept a class, Juilliard, Columbia, NYU, the works! Also trying to keep things open....I'm truthfully just happy to be working on material with a human.

If anyone is on facebook, there is an "MFA Accountability Group" that has been extremely helpful to keep up with these ever changing times...

Edited by koochooloo

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hi! I am also waiting till February to hear about callback weekends! NYU and Juilliard were good, and I'm waiting to do URTAs in January. 

Is anyone doing URTAs? I was wondering if you are interested in a specific school, do you message them ahead of time to let them know when your date is or are you just casting the net wide?

Thanks!!

I’m not personally doing URTAs, but I’d say if you have a couple of top choices that are attending, it might be worth shooting them a message to let them know you’re particularly interested in their programs! Not positive! 

my coach also says auditioning with a Top choice school from URTA directly in addition to URTA is a good choice, not sure which might still be accepting appointments individually! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2020 at 7:22 PM, Jbee241 said:

Hey! My first two went surprisingly well. Have a couple more in January. And then awaiting callback weekend asks! Ahh!! How is yours going? @Happytobehere

Sorry I didn’t see this until now! So far so good! Some callbacks, some rejections. All about balance right?! Looking forward to URTAs this weekend.

On 12/30/2020 at 2:48 PM, koochooloo said:

hi! I am also waiting till February to hear about callback weekends! NYU and Juilliard were good, and I'm waiting to do URTAs in January. 

Is anyone doing URTAs? I was wondering if you are interested in a specific school, do you message them ahead of time to let them know when your date is or are you just casting the net wide?

Thanks!!

I reached out to my top choices and they seemed glad that I expressed interest so they knew to look for me at the URTAs! Keep breaking legs, everyone!

I hope everyone has had successful auditions so far! I had my USD audition today and felt really good about both my work and the interview/banter portion, but no callback. Their email says callbacks are not indicative of your full consideration for the program, but...that feels untrue. 

Auditioning over Zoom is so weird, y'all.

Anyone heard back about UCSD callbacks? They said we'd hear back by January 30th, but I'm wondering if anyone has already heard?

I'll be doing the USD audition on Thursday! I always hate when they say callbacks aren't indicative of being considered because I agree with you that that feels false! But who knows? Glad you felt like it went well! I have heard nothing from UCSD one way or the other. Hopefully soon! 

@Happytobehere Good luck! They were running about 30 minutes behind yesterday- it was the morning of the first day on a brand new virtual medium, so it's not surprising but I did sit in my little zoom breakout room for about 40 minutes. So heads up that you may be staring at your own face for a long time. Otherwise it was totally warm and welcoming in the room. Break a leg!

Just now, mykingdomforanMFA said:

@Happytobehere Good luck! They were running about 30 minutes behind yesterday- it was the morning of the first day on a brand new virtual medium, so it's not surprising but I did sit in my little zoom breakout room for about 40 minutes. So heads up that you may be staring at your own face for a long time. Otherwise it was totally warm and welcoming in the room. Break a leg!

Thank you! Good to know!!! 

On 1/19/2021 at 4:48 PM, mykingdomforanMFA said:

I hope everyone has had successful auditions so far! I had my USD audition today and felt really good about both my work and the interview/banter portion, but no callback. Their email says callbacks are not indicative of your full consideration for the program, but...that feels untrue. 

Auditioning over Zoom is so weird, y'all.

Anyone heard back about UCSD callbacks? They said we'd hear back by January 30th, but I'm wondering if anyone has already heard?

I totally understand it feels false, but part of me believes it! I didn't get a callback either, but the interview/banter portion felt so legit and actually interested that it would be weird for them to have done it if they didn't have any interest. I think at least. haha So i think you should be proud that they chatted with you :)

Any submit GWU? I didn't receive a message that they got my tape, but don't wanna bother too much.

Anyone hear from NYU? I know they said BY february 15th, so maybe won't come for awhile.

@Jbee241 Thank you for saying that. I agree. They nodded enthusiastically through my Shakespeare and laughed through my contemporary, and then spoke to me very earnestly afterwards - in any other circumstance I would be confident it was a great audition. It’s so hard to tell what anything means, especially over Zoom.

I didn’t apply to NYU or GWU, but I hope your hear back soon. I’m in the same boat waiting on LAMDA and UCSD to send out callbacks/rejections. Anyone heard anything from anyone? haha Things are so unpredictable this year in terms of deadlines.

6 minutes ago, mykingdomforanMFA said:

@Jbee241 Thank you for saying that. I agree. They nodded enthusiastically through my Shakespeare and laughed through my contemporary, and then spoke to me very earnestly afterwards - in any other circumstance I would be confident it was a great audition. It’s so hard to tell what anything means, especially over Zoom.

I didn’t apply to NYU or GWU, but I hope your hear back soon. I’m in the same boat waiting on LAMDA and UCSD to send out callbacks/rejections. Anyone heard anything from anyone? haha Things are so unpredictable this year in terms of deadlines.

Totally! It doesn't seem like they'd put that much enthusiasm in if you were garbage hahah. 
Yes, zoom does make it hard to reach the energy!

Ah okay! And i hope you hear from your soon too. 

I know! I already was told I didn't get final weekend calllbacks for Juilliard. They already invited to their top 50 for callback weekend. So way ahead of last year. Wondering if other schools will do the same.

After going through the USD audition I have to say I agree with you both about feeling actually considered even with no callback. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see! Nothing from UCSD over here... Anyone else waiting anxiously until 2/1 when URTA schools can make offers?

I don’t know how many of you submitted to schools in the UK, but I submitted to Mountview (for shits and giggles) back in November and they were supposed to email my results on December 18th, but I hadn’t heard anything so I reached out. I guess I had been called back but they verified that they had straight up forgotten to email me. All this to say, I think everyone is SUPER overwhelmed and I wouldn’t be surprised if we didn’t hear from UCSD until the 30th.