"partner" or "boyfriend" in SOP?

drunkenduck

Question

Hey Everyone,

I'm writing my SOP and I can't avoid mentioning my boyfriend when I'm discussing an experience (otherwise it will sound like I'm taking full credit for something I didn't do alone). I feel like referring to him as my boyfriend sound juvenile, but I know some people take issue with non-LGBT people using the term "partner" and I don't want to risk offending. "Significant other" sounds too robotic.

Any thoughts or alternatives? I'm considering pretending he's my fiancé just to avoid the question altogether. 

-C

2 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Warelin said:

I don't think there is a need to mention your significant other in any capacity. 

I would add that mentioning a SO might be especially risky this application season. A lot of couples are spending an incredible amount of time each other because of COVID-19--the strongest relationships can be experiencing bone crushing pressure. I can easily imagine a member of and admissions committee reading a comment about a SO or partner and peering up to see the love of one's life now turned to one's most hated foe.

If the experience is an essential element of who are and want to be as a professional academic, consider the benefits of focusing on the lessons learned while minimizing the narrative elements to a bare minimum.